| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  BIAB with JV1010
Lyle Bradford

Gilbert WV USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2006 2:47 pm    

Is there anyway I can get Windows XP to recognize a JV1010. My 98 does it with no problem but my new computer will not. Thanks for your help.
Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2006 6:22 pm    

I have a JV-1010 and XP as well. When I first hooked up the JV-1010 it didn't work. I read somewhere an the internet that it's
no longer supported by Roland, and there are no drivers for XP.

I also read that an NT driver would work to some degree. I loaded that and the unit works to the extant I can MIDI in stuff to cakewalk, but all the parts and banks are not selectable. At least It gives me the ability to select voices via the pull down menu in cakewalk.

I do have a bunch of archive files for the unit (2.5 mb) but I'm afraid to mess with them for fear of screwing something up.

Also, I can hear the demo songs thru headphones. If you find a way to get it to function normally, please let me know.
Michael Barone

Downingtown, Pennsylvania
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2006 6:35 pm    

I'm just offering some ideas here that may or may not work.

Try using the "Program Compatibility Wizard" in WinXP. It is designed to make older DOS programs and devices work in XP.

You may also have to run BIAB in compatibility mode, possibly, for the JV-1010 to be recognized in BIAB.

If your using a MIDI cable it may work, if the compatibility wizard if configured correctly.

If your using a serial cable, you have to remove the Microsoft drivers and install the Roland drivers, possibly through the wizard, or manually.

Just some thoughts.

Good Luck,
Mike
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2006 2:01 am    

Unfortunately Windows XP changed both the hardware and software requirements (planned obsolesence?) and many older devices no longer work with XP. Windows XP is not DOS based like the older Operating Systems. The drivers for the older DOS based "graphical systems" (Windows) are incompatible with XP.

As far as the compatibility mode. I've never got a program to work correctly with a compatibility mode. If it didn't work right with the native XP mode, the compatibility mode wouldn't make any differnce.
Michael Barone

Downingtown, Pennsylvania
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2006 3:45 pm    

Jack, we have a few older educational programs, including Electronics Workbench and others. When we use these programs on an XP machine, we have to use compatibility mode, because that's the only way they will work properly. We also run old DOS programs in compatibility mode. It works quite well for our shop/classroom. You have to take the time to configure the details correctly. It has really saved us since Win2000 cannot do the same.

Best wishes for good health,
Mike
Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2006 6:10 pm    

I've been nosing around the internet. There seems to be people who have XP who use the JV 1010. The how to seems to have several different responses. I guess it need more research on my part.

Perhaps the compatibility mode is a good place to start.

Gary Shepherd

Fox, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2006 3:31 pm    

The newver versions of Band In A Box will work with dxi synths. I'm sure you can find a dxi version of the 1010. If not, there are plenty of other good dxi's.

------------------
Gary Shepherd

Carter D-10

www.16tracks.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger