| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Internet Explorer 6 SP1 Unexpectedly Exits Issue
Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2006 7:20 am    

Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 unexpectedly exits after you install the 918899 update

Microsoft Knowledgebase article 923762

SYMPTOMS
Consider the following scenario. You run Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 (SP1) on a computer that is running Microsoft Windows XP with Service Pack (SP1) or Microsoft Windows 2000 with Service Pack 4 (SP4). You install the Internet Explorer cumulative security update (MS06-042) that is documented in Microsoft Knowledge Base article 918899. In this scenario, Internet Explorer unexpectedly exits when you view a Web site that uses the HTTP 1.1 protocol and compression.

RESOLUTION
Hotfix information
A supported hotfix is now available from Microsoft, but it is only intended to correct the problem that this article describes. Apply it only to systems that are experiencing this specific problem.

To resolve this problem, contact Microsoft Product Support Services to obtain the hotfix. For a complete list of Microsoft Product Support Services telephone numbers and information about support costs, visit the following Microsoft Web site: http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/?ws=support

Note In special cases, charges that are ordinarily incurred for support calls may be canceled if a Microsoft Support Professional determines that a specific update will resolve your problem. The usual support costs will apply to additional support questions and issues that do not qualify for the specific update in question.

Prerequisites
To apply this hotfix, you must have Windows XP with SP1 or Windows 2000 with SP4 installed.

WORKAROUND
To work around this problem, follow these steps:
1. Start Internet Explorer 6.
2. On the Tools menu, click Internet Options, and then click the Advanced tab.
3. In the Settings box, click to clear the Use HTTP 1.1 check box under HTTP 1.1 settings, and then click OK.

------------------
Bob "Wiz" Feinberg
Moderator of the SGF Computers Forum
Visit my Wiztunes Steel Guitar website at: http://www.wiztunes.com/
or my computer troubleshooting website: Wizcrafts Computer Services,
or my Webmaster Services webpage.
Learn about current computer virus and security threats here.
Read Wiz's Blog for security news and update notices

[This message was edited by Wiz Feinberg on 13 August 2006 at 08:22 AM.]

Jim Phelps

Mexico City, Mexico
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2006 7:46 am    

WORKAROUND
To work around this problem, follow these steps:

1. Don't use Internet Explorer.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2006 9:31 am    

Unfortunately, if you want to check for and obtain manual Windows Updates you MUST use Internet Explorer. And, Microsoft.com uses HTTP 1.1.

Aside from that use of IE, Sai No More! Wink wink, nudge, nudge!
Ron Victoria

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2006 4:16 pm    

I wonder if this is my problem with IE crashing. I tried your suggestion and will see. I guess if my problem continues, I can just use another browser.

Ron
Jim Phelps

Mexico City, Mexico
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2006 4:39 pm    

Quote:
Unfortunately, if you want to check for and obtain manual Windows Updates you MUST use Internet Explorer. And, Microsoft.com uses HTTP 1.1.

True, oh well.

[This message was edited by Jim Phelps on 13 August 2006 at 05:39 PM.]

Ron Victoria

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2006 3:02 am    

I downloaded 11 of MS updates last week. Is there anywhere I can check if this was one of them?

How would I switch back forth between browsers?

Ron
Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2006 7:14 am    

Ron;
One of the critical patches you got included MS06-042. You could call the MS number listed above and see if you qualify for a free patch for the patch, or, try disabling HTTP 1.1 in your Internet Explorer Advanced Options. If disabling HTTP 1.1 fixes the problem you should qualify for free support and the patched patched patch. Sounds like a paw paw patch doesn't it? Tar Baby knows.
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2006 12:28 pm    

IE has always crashed. I don't think Microsoft has ever produced a stable version.
Ron Victoria

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2006 10:27 am    

I contacted MS and they are setting up some type of no-charge help account for me. I understand a repatch for this will be out soon.

Ron
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2006 4:32 am    

I can't even begin to explain why, but the issue occured on my PC with Mozilla as well as IE.

After I did the unckeck HTTP 1.1 a few days ago both IE and Mozilla are functioning fine..

go figure...

Wiz, any comments on this ?

thanks
t

[This message was edited by Tony Prior on 23 August 2006 at 05:32 AM.]

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2006 5:02 am    

My I.E. 6 (XP Pro with SP2) was crashing on CNN, but nothing else. I tried CNN with Firefox and it was OK. I went into IE6, Internet Options and deleted files and that fixed it.
Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2006 11:07 am    

I just received an alarming security bulletin from eEye. It reads as follows.
quote:

Recent Internet Explorer Security Update Opens Windows Users to Attack

The flaw in the cumulative update, initially thought to only crash Internet Explorer, actually allows an attacker to run code on computers running Windows 2000 and Windows XP Service Pack 1.

Overview
On August 8th, Microsoft released a cumulative update for Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 (MS06-042). By the following day, users and businesses began to notice that the update caused Internet Explorer to crash when browsing some websites.

On August 11th, Microsoft created a knowledgebase article which mentioned problems with the MS06-042 patch, and how Internet Explorer can crash when viewing web pages that use compression. The knowledgebase article failed to mention that the bug is not just a crash, but in fact is something that an attacker can use to remotely compromise PCs. The article also referenced a hotfix for the issue which can be requested through Microsoft Product Support Services.

As of today, August 22nd, technical details of this vulnerability are not public, but it is safe to assume that a savvy attacker can discover the underlying issue and exploit it via a malicious website. eEye is warning its customers to be aware of the risk, and to contact Microsoft Support to obtain the hotfix.

More information on this issue and links to the Microsoft Support documents can be found on the eEye Research Portal: http://research.eeye.com/html/alerts/AL20060822.html

If anybody on this forum is experiencing these crashes in Internet Explorer 6, that are stopped by disabling HTTP 1.1 - as recommended in the MS Workaround - please contact Microsoft Support, lookup the appropriate phone number and request personal assistance. They are obligated to assist you for free in obtaining the new patch, if it is determined that you are at risk because of the MS06-042 Windows Update.

Microsoft was supposed to re-release a patch for the patch yesterday, but failed to do so. This indicates that the problem has broader implications than anticipated, as outlined by the eEye alert.

------------------
Bob "Wiz" Feinberg

[This message was edited by Wiz Feinberg on 23 August 2006 at 12:10 PM.]

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2006 12:56 pm    

Just In From Microsoft

Microsoft Security Advisory (923762)

Microsoft Security Advisory (923762): Long URLs to sites using HTTP 1.1 and compression Could Cause Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 to Unexpectedly Exit

Published: August 22, 2006

On August 15, 2006 Microsoft announced that it would be re-releasing MS06-042 Tuesday, August 22, 2006 to address an issue affecting Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 customers discussed in Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 923762. Due to an issue discovered in final testing, Microsoft will not be re-releasing MS06-042 today. This update will be re-released for Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 when it meets an appropriate level of quality for broad distribution.

Microsoft is also aware of public reports that this issue can lead to a buffer overrun condition for Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 customers that have applied MS06-042. We are not aware of attacks that try to use the reported vulnerability or of customer impact at this time. Microsoft is aggressively investigating the public reports. Only customers using Internet Explorer 6.0 SP1 are affected, all other customers should continue their deployments of MS06-042. Customers using Internet Explorer 6.0 SP 1 should continue their deployment of MS06-042 and follow the existing guidance provided in Knowledge Base article 923762 and the Suggested Actions section of this Security Advisory.

Please go to the Microsoft Security Advisory (see link above) to read the suggested actions and further details about this emerging issue.

------------------
Bob "Wiz" Feinberg

Ron Victoria

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2006 5:06 pm    

Well, I downloaded the patch, let's see what happens. MS did reply with a link and password for the hotfix also.

Ron
Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2006 7:22 pm    

Ron;
Keep that link and password handy!

Today, Microsoft released the anticipated patch for the bad patch, that caused certain versions of IE 6 (SP1) to crash. Go to Windows Update manually, or turn on Automatic Windows Updates to receive the new patch.

Also, bookmark this page and revisit it from time to time to see if anything new is posted about Long URLs and HTTP 1.1 Compression crashing Internet Explorer.
------------------------------------------
News Flash!

There is suddenly a lot more information on the MS Security Advisory page about previously unannounced vulnerabilities regarding this patch, and that they affect other versions of Windows and Internet Explorer! There are now direct download links on that page, based on you OS and service pack level. We are all at risk from new flaws and everybody should run Windows Updates to see if a new patch is available for them and their setup. Or, download the version for your computer and try to install it. If it is not needed or compatible it will inform you and exit setup.

------------------
Bob "Wiz" Feinberg

[This message was edited by Wiz Feinberg on 24 August 2006 at 11:45 PM.]

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2006 10:44 pm    

^Bump. Reason: read the news flash in the post above this one.

Wiz
Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2006 8:59 am    

We are now up to 9 new critical vulnerabilities covered by MS06-042!

A new patch is available for various versions of Windows, from 2000, and XP, through Server 2003, on this page.

Windows XP with Service Pack 2 is also affected and I downloaded a patch for it last night.

What started out as a nuisance issue of a crashing browser has bloomed into a major risk. At least five separate security researchers or teams have contributed to the uncovering of these vulnerabilities and worked with Microsoft to plug the holes before hackers and cyber criminals could exploit them.

This new patch is being released out of cycle in a rare move by Microsoft to limit or prevent damage before the fact. I advise everybody to check for Windows Updates from their Administrator level account, or download the applicable patch for your OS, using the link above.

As I have mentioned time and time again, if you browse the Internet as a Limited or Power User you minimize the damage that any potential malware could pose. Virtually all types of malware require administrator level permission to install themselves into your computers. Deny yourself that level of privileges and you deny malware also. See my Blog article from August 19 about Limiting Privileges for more details about doing this.

There is more info about user privileges here.

------------------
Bob "Wiz" Feinberg

[This message was edited by Wiz Feinberg on 25 August 2006 at 10:01 AM.]