| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  paypal?
George McLellan

Duluth, MN USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2006 5:43 pm    

This probably is the wrong place for this, but I don't know what to do about it.

I just received a notice from PayPal that I had a complaint filed about my business deal with someone. I've never used paypal nor do I ever intend to use it. I don't want to go to any of the links it has on the e~mail in case it's a virus.

Should this be forwarded to the person that watches for scams and bogus e~mails?

It says that this was filed 30 days ago.

George Mc Lellan
Steven Black

Gahanna, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2006 5:48 pm    

Hello George, have you done business with anyone even without paypal? they could have reported you to them anyway, but if you have never done business with them or anybody then I would start doing a credit report sounds like someone is doing identity stealing.
Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2006 6:27 pm    

Not to worry! This is tatic to get you to worry. They want you to click a link and log into your Paypal account.....but it's not really Paypal. They want your log info. They mass mail these to everyone, even people that don't have a Paypal account, hoping a few will bite.

If it's really from Paypal, the email will address you by your name....not "dear Paypal customer", etc....

I get them all the time, and I simply delete them.

------------------
Emmons Lashley Legrande D-10 8/4, Mullen D-10 8/4,Nashville 400, Profex II, Bunches of fiddles,guitars,etc....

www.racmusic.tripod.com

]http://racmusic.tripod.com

[/URL]

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2006 6:41 pm    

I get 2 or 3 of these every day. It's a cottage industry in Nigeria. I delete them all.
Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 28 May 2006 7:24 pm    

Same here. I get them every day and I don't even have a paypal account.
Howard Tate

Leesville, Louisiana, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 28 May 2006 8:34 pm    

When I get those messages I always forward them to: spoof@paypal.com
They will send you a message telling if it is from them, or a scam, and that they will try to locate the senders isp and try to stop them. I get them fairly often and so far they've all been bogus.

------------------
Howard
Gary Shepherd

Fox, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2006 10:43 pm    

You can check any complaints against your PayPal account by logging into your actual paypal account and clicking on the Resolution Center tab. (the name may be slightly different but you'll know it when you see it.)

------------------
Gary Shepherd

Carter D-10

www.16tracks.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 29 May 2006 1:42 am    

was it addressed to you by name ?

or just "dear account user" ?

if your account name ( aka: George ) is not in the message it is a scam...

I get these everyday..mostly to EMAIL addresses that are not even associated with PAYPAL...or EBAY..

now thats special...

[This message was edited by Tony Prior on 29 May 2006 at 02:42 AM.]

Chip Fossa

Monson, MA, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 29 May 2006 3:51 am    

In the same vein, George, get a free program such as www.mailwasher.com and open it before you even touch your email.

I have MW, and you can set it up to DELETE, BOUNCE, or BLACkLIST any incoming mail. You can set up a FRIENDS list. You can review the email before allowing it to enter your email. It's a great screening program.

I use it religiously.
Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 29 May 2006 5:40 am    

Quote:
and that they will try to locate the senders isp and try to stop them. I get them fairly often and so far they've all been bogus.
The problem is, spammers often "spoof" their identities, either by using non-existent IPs, or by using a legitimate IP address with which the spammer has no connection at all. One can use "WhoIs" to identify the source IP, but if the spam didn't originate there, the owner of that IP address can't do much about it.

[This message was edited by Dave Potter on 29 May 2006 at 06:45 AM.]

Bobby D. Hunter

USA
Post  Posted 29 May 2006 6:11 am    

Please forward scam emails to me as attachments. If you cannot forward as an attachment you will have to set your email options to display the full incoming headers, then forward the email to me with the headers showing.

Aside from that the recommendation to forward it to spoof@paypal.com is the best thing you can do. It alerts Paypal to another phishing website and they may be able to get it shut down.

What I do when I receive spam or scam emails is to first trace the sender, using his header information, then report it through SpamCop. They will notify his ISP and website hosting provider about his illegal activities.

------------------
Bobby D. Hunter
Security for SGF
Hunting down Slimeball Game
Reporting member of SpamCop

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 29 May 2006 1:27 pm    

Quote:
first trace the sender, using his header information, then report it through SpamCop. They will notify his ISP and website hosting provider about his illegal activities
But, unfortunately, if the spammer has used bogus header information, the trace attempt fails.
Bobby D. Hunter

USA
Post  Posted 29 May 2006 1:57 pm    

Quote:
But, unfortunately, if the spammer has used bogus header information, the trace attempt fails.

Yes and no. Yes, forged From headers make it harder to trace the source, but not always impossible. Furthermore, many spams and scams contain links to the spamvertised website, which is hosted somewhere, by someone. We SpamCops go after the website hosting companies, and also notify the ISP through whose email server the craps was sent. Sometimes this results in suspension of accounts. Sometimes it results in an open relay getting plugged. Responsible web hosts terminate the accounts of spammers and phishers as soon as they receive verification from SpamCop and other organizations, like SpamHaus. The companies that refuse to terminate spammers, scammers and phishers get added to global blacklists used by a large number of ISPs around the world.

------------------
Bobby D. Hunter
Security for SGF
Hunting down Slimeball Game
Reporting member of SpamCop