| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Recording on computer
Neil Owens

** R.I.P. **
Post  Posted 26 May 2006 11:57 am    

I want to start doing some recording on my computer, and I want some input/advice on
Cakewalk Guitar tracks Pro 3
or Line 6 Toneport ux2
any information would be great, E-mail me if you don,t want to take up b0b,s space.
Thanks Neil.
Ben Jones

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2006 12:53 pm    

I've had a toneportUX2 for a couple weeks now and am starting to really love it. I dont record into the computer but it would certainly work with a little configuration. The recording software that comes with it is only four track but you can record into miost otherr proghrams I guess. I record into an external 8 track hard disc recorder.

The toneport has some great clean sounds, and I like the mic pre's and bass models as well. The distoirted guitar sounds are a little thin and fizzy for my tastes, but it takes external effects well, so if you just use the amp models and your favorite stompbox its pretty darn good. Would I rather mic up a cabinet from a blazing cranked tube amp? you betcha, but this does the trick for direct recording at home.

Toneport is incompatible with some intel chip sets, but this problem is overcome by purchasing a radio shack powered usb hub.

The vocal preamps, bass preamps, and console for mic'ed instruments are great. even some of the modulation and delay effects are quite god.

Hope that helped.
Neil Owens

** R.I.P. **
Post  Posted 26 May 2006 1:13 pm    

Thanks Ben, I,m trying to decide how to go about this recording thing without spending a lot of money I don,t have.
Neil.
Bob Martin

Madison Tn
Post  Posted 26 May 2006 1:59 pm    

Hi Neil, CW gtr trks 3 is a fine little app for recording. It uses the same engine for recording as Sonar 3 which is rock solid. You can pick it up for less than 100 bucks. It will let you use loops as well as multi trk recording of audio. There are no midi options but it doesn't sound like you need any midi.

You can do extensive editing within gtr trk 3 such as cut/copy/paste as well as add reverb thru plugins and other effects. It comes with an amp simulator from one of the major sw companies it's called amplitube and it does a decent job of turning a direct dry gtr signal into a gtr running thru various amps clean or distorted.

I used it for a while before I got Sonar 5 and it never crashed or locked up on me which you will soon find is a very important factor when recording with the computer. It doesn't matter how many bells and whistles an app has if it's not reliable it worthless.

In closing I don't think you can go wrong with gtr trks 3 for starting out possibly after a while with it you might want to upgrade up to Sonar which has many more features. Cakewalk is very good about upgrade paths so you don't have to start all over when upgrading. I got a special offer to upgrade from gtr trks 3 to sonar 5 studio for 99.00 which is a steel and then to sonar 5 producer for 99.00 (another steel) so I ended up getting a 500 dollar app for 300. I hope you have fun with it.

Bob
Gary Shepherd

Fox, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2006 7:28 pm    

I've never looked at the apps you mentioned but for under $100 (maybe way under), you could get Cakewalk Home Studio or one of the other Cakewalk programs.

I use Cakewalk Sonar 5 in my studio and can do ANYTHING I need to. The other programs are similar to Sonar except the will record fewer tracks at one time. But you can still record as many tracks as you'll ever need.

------------------
Gary Shepherd

Carter D-10

www.16tracks.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Gary Shepherd

Fox, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2006 7:30 pm    

Neil, feel free to call me if you have any specific or general questions about digital audio on computers. I've been doing it for a while now. 580-673-2474

------------------
Gary Shepherd

Carter D-10

www.16tracks.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Neil Owens

** R.I.P. **
Post  Posted 27 May 2006 4:04 am    

Thanks Bob, And Gary. I am leaning toward the CW Pro 3 , And Gary I do Have A couple of questions so I will try to call you later this afternoon. Thanks again to all .
Neil.
Ben Jones

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2006 6:00 am    

Toneport is $199, plus another forty for the external powered usb hub if you have an intel chip set (and who doesnt?). Add another $100 for a decent condensor mic or two, cables and stand, then whatever software recording system you wanna buy if you want more than four tracks (and who doesnt?). so i guess if you wanna keep it under $100 the toneport is out. I am getting sdome great sounds with it tho so i am very happy. best of luck with whatever you choose.
Gary Shepherd

Fox, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2006 5:42 pm    

Neil, the M-Audio card I was thinking about is the Audiophile 2496. 4 ins and 4 outs. It should work nicely for your home system. You may want something with more ins and outs (like the Delta 1010) for your group setting.

------------------
Gary Shepherd

Carter D-10

www.16tracks.com
basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 27 May 2006 11:56 pm    

See this post, It shows the capabilities of the Toneport for recording Steel guitar.
http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum11/HTML/008799.html

------------------
Quote:
Steel players do it without fretting

Fred Shannon

Rocking "S" Ranch, Comancheria, Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 28 May 2006 11:53 am    

Look into the possibility of the Lexicon Omega system....we use it at all our gigs....wonderful results. Phred

------------------
"From Truth, Justice is Born"--Quanah Parker-1904