| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What is spyware?
Archie Nicol R.I.P.

Ayrshire, Scotland
Post  Posted 14 May 2006 7:06 am    

A warning keeps coming up on my screen telling me I may be infected by spyware.
It then opens up a recommended(?) antispyware that I can buy. Should I buy one or is this a possible scam? The warning appears on screen every five minutes or so.
`Alert! Trojan virus....` just flashed up then disappeared. I was then diverted to Windows security. This is happening as I type. Help! Please.
Arch.
Mike Baxter

Vancouver, B.C., Canada
Post  Posted 14 May 2006 9:00 am    

Archie, Ignore the messages you see.

Instead, go to: http://www.lavasoftusa.com/ and download the free Ad-Aware spyware detection and removal program from LavaSoft.

Also install the free Microsoft Windows Defender (Beta) product from the Microsoft Spyware page: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=55273
Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2006 9:14 am    

That popup sounds like your computer is infected by SpywareQuake, or SpySheriff, SpyFalcon, or other associated sleazeware that is installed on not-locked-down PCs via driveby downloads through Internet Explorer.

In addition to Ad-Aware from Lavasoft.de you should also download, install and update Spybot Search and Destroy and SpywareBlaster.

Also, run Windows Updates to obtain any missing patches for Internet Explorer, get a software firewall, like ZoneAlarm Free, and AVG Free Anti-Virus. Install all, update all, and scan all files for and remove all threats.

Download Firefox browser and use it to browse the Internet, instead of Internet Explorer (the most insecure web browser in common use today).

I have much information about these things on my security blog.

------------------
Bob "Wiz" Feinberg
Moderator of the SGF Computers Forum
Visit my Wiztunes Steel Guitar website at: http://www.wiztunes.com/
or my computer troubleshooting website: Wizcrafts Computer Services,
or my Webmaster Services webpage.
Learn about current computer virus and security threats here.
Read Wiz's Blog for security news and update notices

Chip Fossa

Monson, MA, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 14 May 2006 11:35 am    

This post just reminded me that I haven't updated SPYBOT in a while, so I went just now and got 2 updates. I checked them off for download, and after that happened, both check marks remained BLACK and did not turn GREEN.

There was a red [verboten] circle/slash with an exclamation point in it, and the script next to it said: Detection Rules !!!Bad checksum.

Have never seen this one before. Searched Spybot Help, but couldn't find an explanation.

Anyone else ever experience this and know what it means?

Thanks all.
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 14 May 2006 11:42 am    

Hit "search for updates" again, then pull down the menu to the right and select a different download source "safer networking #1" etc. Repeat, if necessary until you get a good download.
Chip Fossa

Post  Posted 14 May 2006 1:41 pm    

Thanks Jon. I'll give that a try.
Chip Fossa

Post  Posted 14 May 2006 1:53 pm    

Jon,

I just redownloaded and could not find any menu to the right to pull down.

All I have in the toolbar is: 'search for updates' 'BNFileForum' 'download updates' 'show log' 'help'.

Not sure where you mean to find this menu.
Archie Nicol R.I.P.

Ayrshire, Scotland
Post  Posted 14 May 2006 2:18 pm    

Thanks, Folks. SpySherrif was one of the so called `recommended` antispysthingies.
I did a system restore and when I restarted,
my AVG anti-virus had cleared it.
Thanks, again for your help.
Arch.
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 14 May 2006 2:37 pm    

Some of those are the equivilent of an exterminator sneaking over to your back window, dumping a couple of rats in your house and then yelling "you've got rats!!!" and offering to rid your house of them---for a fee. That's the best case scenario. There could be more sinister intentions as well. Glad you got that cleared up.

Chip---next to the 'BNFileForum' is a tiny triangle. Click it and pull down alternate download sites. I had troubles as you describe and this was the solution.
Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 14 May 2006 2:38 pm    

Chip, Jon's advice is correct.

Some of the download servers are unreliable. I go through what you're experiencing all the time.

Click the small down-arrow to the right of the server selection button. Pick another server; "Safer Networking #1" works most of the time for me. But, whatever, keep picking different ones till you get one that works. Eventually, you'll get a green checkmark that the download was successful.

[This message was edited by Dave Potter on 14 May 2006 at 03:39 PM.]

Chip Fossa

Post  Posted 14 May 2006 4:46 pm    

Thanks Jon & Dave,
"Safer Networking #1" did the trick.

It's all these little things, that if you don't know, can really make for a not happy PC day.

Thanks again fellas.
Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2006 10:57 am    

Archie;
I just noticed that neither I nor the other responders have actually answered the question posed by your topic's title: "What is Spyware?"

Spyware is a term that refers to a large variety of software programs that find their way onto computers without the knowledge or against the wishes of the owners, and which collect details about the online and offline activities of the users (spying on them) and send them "home" to the company or individual that "owns" said programs. This information is then used without the users' approval to serve them popup ads, or to steal passwords and login details to various websites, or to track their surfing habits to compile a dossier on said people, which can be sold to advertisers.

Spyware is different than opt-in advertising programs where you do grant permission to the software's owner to collect information in exchange for some benefit you derive from the free use of said programs. Spyware rarely offers you a EULA to read and agree to, and when it does offer a EULA it is usually so long and full of mumbo-jumbo that you don't know what you are agreeing to. Most spyware is installed stealthily, without any indication that it is happening, until you start seeing popup messages offering to sell you a program to remove popup messages, like Archie's SpySheriff. That is one of the sleaziest brands of spyware. These programs goad users into purchasing their program by the use of false positives, which they then remove if you pay for the program. In fact, nothing was removed except for the money you paid to the people perpetrating this extortion upon the unsuspecting public.

------------------
Bob "Wiz" Feinberg

Archie Nicol R.I.P.

Ayrshire, Scotland
Post  Posted 15 May 2006 3:13 pm    

Thanks, Bob.
I wonder how many Forum members are unaware of this type of nonsense. Perhaps a post in the `Feedback` section could warn others before they are conned.
Cheers, Arch.
David Rupert

Mesa, Arizona (via Mahopac, NY & Missouri).
Post  Posted 16 May 2006 11:40 pm    

Just a quick note, regarding Anti-Spyware programs.

If you're looking for a really GREAT Anti-Spyware program/application. Do yourself a BIG favor. Purchase "Spy Sweeper," from Webroot, Inc. Their latest version, is 4.5.

It's been rated #1, by many of the leading PC Magazine's, etc.

IMO, it's the best one, on the market. Just as Norton/Symantec...is the best, for Anti-Virus programs...IMO.

------------------
David "DJ" Rupert
"The Sad, Angry Cowboy"

1995 Mullen D-10
Peavey N/V 400 Amp.
Goodrich Volume Pedal
Boss Effects Pedal Board

"Music. Without it, life itself...would be impossible."

Peace.

[This message was edited by David Rupert on 17 May 2006 at 12:43 AM.]

Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 17 May 2006 7:06 am    

Quote:
These programs goad users into purchasing their program by the use of false positives, which they then remove if you pay for the program. In fact, nothing was removed except for the money you paid to the people perpetrating this extortion upon the unsuspecting public.

And, if my memory serves me correctly, last week (per USA Today) one fella that perpetrated this got prison time and had to pay something like $4 Million.

[This message was edited by Ray Minich on 17 May 2006 at 08:07 AM.]

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2006 7:10 am    

What David said is true, but no one anti-spyware program has been demonstarted to catch/remove 100% of the threats in the wild. I use multiple layers of anti-spyware and recommend it to you too. Webroot, along with Spybot Search and Destroy, plus SpywareBlaster would be pretty good at defending your computer against the most prevalant risks. Add Windows Defender or Ad-aware to that group and you will have close to 100% protection.

I would like to be able to recommend just one program that catches them all, but can't do that at this time. You can keep up to speed on the best paid programs by frequenting the Spywareinfo.com and spywarewarrior.com websites. They also recommend Spyware Doctor, which is a commercial program.

Commercial anti-spyware programs are updated more frequently than freeware programs. Money talks. If somebody is maintaining a program out of the goodness of their heart they probably won't put as much effort into updating detections as a company that gets paid to do so. That leaves huge gaps in the ability of freeware anti-spyware programs to detect the latest threats. Still, they are an excellent means of backing up your main cop.

------------------
Bob "Wiz" Feinberg

[This message was edited by Wiz Feinberg on 17 May 2006 at 08:12 AM.]

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2006 7:20 am    

There is enormous profit being made by affiliates of the major spyware and adware companies. I don't know specific dollar numbers but I have read information about the rational behind the surrepticious spyware/adware downloads/installations, and it is the commissions being paid per infected computer that drives people to do these things. Spyware installation has become a major criminal enterprise.

Another thing that often happens is that if one brand of spyware gets onto your computer it may have a business relationship with other brands, and may act as a conduit to download those programs as well, for a commission. Thus you may start with one browser search page hijacker and end up with 17, all competing with each other to force you to land on their home page when you try to search via your addressbar. Others fight over setting your home page on your browser. All this background activity destabilizes your computer and slows down it's operation.

------------------
Bob "Wiz" Feinberg