| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Anybody use Word?
J Hill

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2006 8:52 pm    

Hi,

Years ago I chose to use Word Perfect over Word for a word processor because Word didn't 'reveal codes' and I had a heck of a time getting a "line" to appear on a page, or getting rid of one. Believe it or not, the Word 'help' people didn't know either.

A few months ago WP was doing strange things and seemed little unstable and I was afraid of losing a long document, so I started using Word. Well....its okay generally but for the life of me I can't get rid of the "lines" that are here and there on the pages. Some I put there and some I don't think I did.

I know now why the Index of the Word Help books don't include "removing lines". It looks like they don't know how to do it either.

I can't believe I'm going thru the same problem I had years ago with Word. Does anybody here use Word and know if there is a way to delete these lines? The normal methods do not work. I created the lines by striking the 'dash' key three times and hitting 'enter', which I think is just a macro on the program. Thanks for any help you can give.

Mike Baxter

Vancouver, B.C., Canada
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2006 9:44 pm    

They're a nuisance aren't they!

If you type in three hyphens (---) and press Enter it automatically changes into a horizontal line thanks to AutoFormat.

The lines are hard to delete because most users don't realize they are actually borders.

Place the cursor right above the horizontal line
Format > Borders and Shading... > None > OK
J Hill

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2006 6:41 am    

Mike,

You are my savior. It worked! Thank you SOOOO much! Do you know if there's a way to get that command on the toolbar so you don't have to go thru that whole process? Oh, how could I want even more.... I really do appreciate your help, I honestly thought there was no hope. Thank you AGAIN!

Bill Bosler

Schwenksville, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2006 7:42 am    

Microsoft Word has got to be the world's worst software. My wife has authored four books and we've had a never-ending battle with MS Word. The help section is virtually worthless and the program is always doing something weird with fonts or formatting. It's enough to drive you crazy. Unfortunately, all publishers insist on MS Word files for submission.
Chris Brooks

Providence, Rhode Island
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2006 7:54 am    

Some of the "helpful" Word features can be eliminated by going to Format and Format As You Type.

Unclick any of the boxes that have to do with lists, bullets, "Automatic lists," Format the next one just like the last one, etc.

I do this with any computer I sit down at . . . along wih telling Mr Clippit to jump in the lake.

Chris
Sherman Willden

Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2006 9:40 am    

If you can afford it get FrameMaker. Much better for authoring.

Sherman
J Hill

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2006 4:17 pm    

I'm enjoying this discussion I've never understood why something "the whole world" seems to use (WORD) can be such an incompetent program. A word processor should be able to handle simple things, you would think. I love Word Perfect. I got disillusioned when I lost some important stuff I'd written, but thinking back, I believe it was my own fault. I had no idea you had to make it "safe" to remove a flash drive, and I had bought that thing just to preserve something important. Well, the file got corrupted on both the flash and on my computer in WP. It was awful. A lot of work down the drain. I may just go back to Word Perfect, I really really like the "reveal codes" because it makes it so easy to do away with any unwanted formating.

I appreciate the tips about dealing with those boxes. Too bad one has to work around the program to make it work right....

I've never seen Framemaker but I'm always interested in something new.
Gary Shepherd

Fox, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2006 6:43 pm    

www.openoffice.org

------------------
Gary Shepherd

Carter D-10

www.16tracks.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
J Hill

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2006 7:07 pm    

Thanks for that site Gary,

I like this feature a lot...."a new keyboard shortcut permits the user to return to a saved cursor position." I get tired of redoing bookmarks, and on WORD, there's no way to 'move' a bookmark like you can in Word Perfect. So you delete it and make a new one. Better stop before I say a bad WORD.

Mike Baxter

Vancouver, B.C., Canada
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2006 8:05 pm    

Leila,

The nearest thing that Word has to WP's Reveal Codes

Right click on Toolbars. Select Customize. Select Command tab. Select View Categories. Select Show All Command (similar to a reversed ā€˜Pā€™) and drag it up to the toolbar.

This will show all the embedded tabs, spaces, page/column/section breaks, etc. Often I find it useful to leave this toggle switch on at all times. There is another button one can create to View Field Codes; again this is found in the View Categories/Command for View Field Codes.
Per Berner

Skovde, Sweden
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2006 7:50 am    

I use AppleWorks for all my writing needs which, since I am a copywriter, is quite a lot. When I'm done, I just "save as" a Word-document to the benefit of all those poor guys and girls struggling with that awful Microsoft product on the receiving end. AppleWorks is super quick (open application + open a document in about one second ā€“ try that with MS Word!) and has the tools you really need - but none of the rest. And it NEVER bombs.
J Hill

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2006 5:10 pm    

Mike, thanks for the reveal stuff info. Amazing how complicated it can get but it can't do one simple thing. And Per, I saw something for a Windows upgrade but not anything to download the Windows AppleWorks program. I want an Apple computer.

Per Berner

Skovde, Sweden
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2006 6:53 am    

Leila, don't try a Mac. You'll never want anything else!
Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2006 4:55 pm    

Quote:
Leila, don't try a Mac. You'll never want anything else!
Well,...maybe...unless a greater variety of software applications appeals to you.
Per Berner

Skovde, Sweden
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2006 2:43 am    

IMHO:

A Mac is a bit like a BMW. Expensive, not very well equipped, and all the extras are expensive too. But it looks and feels even more expensive than it is. Pure joy!

A PC is like something out of Motown: Well equipped, powerful - lots of bang for the buck. But it looks and feels even cheaper than it is. No joy at all!
- - - - -
Mac G5/BMW 530i
Wayne Carver

Martinez, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2006 6:37 pm    

Take a look at Open Office as Gary suggested. It is free and will open just about any document file you already have. They also have a portable office program that you can install on a flash USB drive. My daughter is in college and she uses the flash drive program. If she is ever on a computer without Open Office or Microsoft Word, the program will operate off the flash drive. I think more companies should make some of their programs portable.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2006 6:33 pm    

I dunno. Both WORD and EXCEL do some goofy things sometimes.

I just got a new computer and discovered that Microsoft Office standard edition is now $400! That's as much as I paid for the computer!!! (There is no "home version" anymore that will handle all the Excel and Word versions.) Guess I'll have to bite the bullet when my tax refund comes in.
J Hill

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2006 6:30 am    

I came back to express more frustration.... Now WORD is giving me three lines when I ask for one and I can't get rid of any of them w/o removing them all. I'm sorry I didn't come with good news. There IS no solution to this problem.

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2006 11:46 am    

Framemaker 7.0 (not sure about earlier releases) exports Word files in various Word revision formats, including any embedded Frame graphics. The exported .doc file allows editing of both text and graphics in Word, but if you've tried to use the graphics tool in Word you know that ain't no picnic either.

I've used Frame professionally since Release 3.5, and while it's a bit quirky to begin with, once you become familiar with the whole 'frame' concept it is very intuitive (and predictable).

If I never have to use MS Word again it will be too soon. It is ABSOLUTELY the most 'user hostile' piece of software I've ever seen. You spend at least half the time in the app trying to 'undo' something you didn't want to begin with.
J Hill

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2006 12:20 pm    

Bill,

"It is ABSOLUTELY the most 'user hostile' piece of software I've ever seen."

Amen and Amen. I'm working on an important personal document and would die if anything happened to it so I'm sticking with WORD just until I finish it, then switching back to Word Perfect. That may not make sense but....there are reasons. I copy my document now and then to a Word Perfect file and to CD's and to Whizfolder so if I lose one maybe I won't lose it all. I also make hard copies when I can but its too long to do that often.

Isn't it just a mystery that WORD can't make their program work well? I'm amazed.

P.S. About "Whizfolders"...if you don't have that program you're missing a blessing.

Per Berner

Skovde, Sweden
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2006 1:24 am    

If we're talking "user hostile" software, don't get me started on PowerPoint... (from... guess who?)

Actually, I can't think of a single Microsoft product that is user-friendly and works really well... How they have managed to grow so big is a total mystery. Luckily, Apple and Adobe fill 90 % of my software needs.

------------------
Ā“75 Emmons p/p D10 8+4, '96 Emmons Legrande II D10 8+5, ca '72 AWH Custom D10 8+3, Peavey Nashville 1000

Gere Mullican

LaVergne, Tennessee, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2006 7:27 am    

Leila, are you talking about the number of lines between, as in single or double or multi spacing?
-------------------------------------------
Leila Tuttle
posted 17 February 2006 06:30 AM profile send email edit
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I came back to express more frustration.... Now WORD is giving me three lines when I ask for one and I can't get rid of any of them w/o removing them all. I'm sorry I didn't come with good news. There IS no solution to this problem.
-------------------------------------
I have been using Word ever since it came out and personally think it is the best word processor. I know I am in the minority, but it works for me. If my interpretation of what the problem is, is correct, then have you tried "formatting a paragraph"? Just my suggestion. I don't mean to butt in but would love to help.
Gere
J Hill

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2006 8:29 pm    

Gere,

I'd appreciate any help you can give. No, I haven't done any actual formating of the paragraphs. Does that help the line situation? Thanks,

Gere Mullican

LaVergne, Tennessee, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2006 6:29 am    

Leila, try going to "format", "paragraph" look about half way down toward the right side for "spacing". Click the down arrow and select "single". That will give you single spaces between lines of typing when you get to "word wrap" or hit "enter". If you have already typed some lines and have multi spacing, put your cursor on the line above where it happens and repeat the format process and that should remove any multiple lines.
I am certainly no Microsoft lover, but for me, Word is by far the best word processor I have used. I started with them wayback in the "PC-WRITE" days where it was strictly ASCII. I hope I am properly addressing your problem. Thanks.
Gere
J Hill

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2006 3:39 pm    

Gere,

Thanks for that...I'll give it a go! Here's hopin!