| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Next generation PSG
ed packard

Show Low AZ
Post  Posted 7 May 2005 11:01 am    

A different tuning/setup structure, a different mechanical structure with a 30” scale, an alternative pickup arrangement, an on board voltage follower HiZ in (over 5 meg ohms) with LoZ out for line driving capability (and sound card inputs) give the BEAST (see Per Berner’s post re BEAST for detailed photos) brawn and sharp horns, now for the BRAIN for the BEAST = the laptop or smaller computer.

After the signal leaves the PSG via any buffer boxes and the volume pedal, it usually goes to stomp boxes for effects and to a preamp, and other rack items for effects/tuner/, maybe power amp(s) etc. … thence to speakers and/or mixer(s). There are several arrangements possible for the floor and rack items.

The proposal is that the floor and rack items, and associated cables may be done away with by using the computer, and software as the BRAIN/control center. The computer may contain the sound card as preamp, the CD/DVD for tracks … the software may supply preamp, mixer, effects, tuner, backup and recording functions for later editing … then the computer again supplies the wireless communication with the power amps and speakers. The power amps may be incorporated into the speaker cabinets (Active speakers).

The laptop computer would be placed at or in front of the player making controlling the software and reading the screen easy. The screen could be the visual presentations common to BAIB (tuner/sheet music/lyrics/fake sheet/recording), or similar screens from the popular recording/editing software, test software such as FSA, and software effects.

In such a scenario, the PSG is setup for practice, live performance with a group or as a single, as recording/editing studio, CD/DVD burner, connected to the net or to the Active speakers in either a wire or wireless mode (your choice).

At the moment there are certain obstacles to such a setup/approach. The largest one is in the minds of the PSG players … the PSG is problem enough, so is a computer, but the two together are a fearsome thought! The recording studio folk have had to make the transition in their field, the PSG (and other) players will also make the change; when?

Another obstacle is a thing called latency = I do it now and it happens later. The software effects are both many and great in recording/editing programs, but up till now the effects have been applied to tracks that have been recorded. We need some of these at the input to the chain for use in live performance, and for use on the input of the recording. A certain amount of latency appears to be acceptable for the last two functions. High $ recording/editing software is starting to allow use of the Effects at both the input, and after the track(s) are recorded. To do this they have worked at reducing latency to an amount that seems to satisfy their very fussy requirements. The target value is the impossible zero … 2 to 10 milliseconds, even 20 or 30 should work for live performance use with PSG.

The effects protocols have names like VST, DX, ASIO, with ASIO being the latest; ASIO means Audio Streaming Input Output. This is the best hope re the live performance effects and the latency issue at the moment.

This approach lends itself to synth/sampler/MIDI software programs added to the PSG repertoire as a natural progression.

There are some forum folk that have knowledge in the above mentioned areas that could expedite matters, please share data and ideas. Let us build the next generation PSG (if it can indeed be called that).

Karlis Abolins

(near) Seattle, WA, USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2005 1:30 pm    

Ed, I have been following your beast topics with great interest. This section on computers is really interesting.
I think it is important to separate those items which are "real time" versus those which are "canned".
The canned items are the BIAB items. Things that you prepare ahead of time and run when you need them.
The real time items are the signal processing functions that we all have to a certain extent. If you look at the computers like the POD XT which are signal processors, you can see that they are optimized for real time operation with minimal latency. The advantage of this kind of computer is that you can hook it up to a variety of devices and keep the "sound envelope" constant. you can hook it up to an amp, direct to a pa, via USB to a computer. Whichever path you use, you will still get the sound you want.
I think for the time being, it is advisable to keep the devices separate. The POD XT type of device is fairly large but self contained. Most computers for the canned software are larger and more complex. I think that will change in the future and we will be able to put a small computer with screen and i-o devices on a rack or leg bracket.

Karlis
ed packard

Show Low AZ
Post  Posted 8 May 2005 8:45 am    

KA;
Good input, ..maybe we can take this PSG kicking and screaming into the TODAY world. It is the best controller for the virtual instrument that I can think of, plus has the most flexible beautiful sounds of it's own.

To Les in another thread ... good inputs. I am at present researching the myriad record/edit softwares for suitable application in this project. N-TRACKS has a great FAQ section and flexible performance features re effects.

Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 11 May 2005 4:55 pm    

Ed,
I you don't get more replies here, just ask and I'll transfer this to Pedal Steel.

I understand why you posted here, but I suspect
many of the expermenter-types might miss it here.

Joey
ed packard

Show Low AZ
Post  Posted 12 May 2005 6:23 am    

Joey;
Thanks for the concern. Do what ever seems to fit. Gestalting the PSG issue would indicate under Pedal Steel ... parsing it would indicate different categories for the associated components. Personally, I lean toward Gestalting it.

Bob L: Right on ... = think ahead!

[This message was edited by ed packard on 12 May 2005 at 07:25 AM.]

Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 12 May 2005 1:00 pm    

ummmmm.....
I think that means you want it moved....

(where's Bill Hanky when you need him, he could translate)

moving from COMPUTERS to PEDAL STEEL , Good Luck!