| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Help in making CD's
Garry Vanderlinde

CA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2005 9:20 pm    

How can I burn a CD from a file that says " file is to small to be used as a track source, must have a source size of 300 sectors or 4:00 (S:F)". I haven't a clue...I have Iomega HotBurn CD burner and have run into this a few times. I can play and listen to the tracks on the realtime player but it won't allow me to burn a CD from the tracks. It doesn't seem to be user friendly and I am fairly new at this 'puter thing.
Any help would be appreciated!
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2005 1:54 am    

What type of file are you trying to burn to a CD? I've never seen that error. Are you trying to burn an audio file, and what type of audio file to the CD or is it a data file? Or are you trying to copy songs from one CD to another?

What CD burning program are you using? e.g. Roxio, Nero, Sonic Record NOw? and what version of the program. Also what Operating system are you using.

Will Holtz

San Francisco, California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2005 10:49 am    

The standard for audio CDs ("Red Book") requires that tracks be atleast 4 seconds long. For some reason your CD burning program thinks your track is less than 4 seconds long. If you listen to the sound file, and it is longer than 4 seconds long, then the header of the file might be messed up. Resaving it in a different format might fix such a header problem.
Garry Vanderlinde

CA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2005 10:56 am    

I saved the songs from this website http://recordlady.webgcs.com/main2.htmhttp://recordlady.webgcs.com/main2.htm
with the right click "save target as". They were automaticly put in realplayer. I put them in a file in my documents. I then tried to make a CD copy of them from that file on my iomega hotburn pro version 2 and that's where the "file is too small" problem came up.
Are realplayer saved songs able to be made into a CD or is it my CD burner? Is there a way to save them in another format and what is ment by a "header" of a file and is there a way to change it?

[This message was edited by Garry Vanderlinde on 09 April 2005 at 12:01 PM.]

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2005 11:15 am    

If you saved them from that site they are in the ra or RealAudio format, which is a proprietry format. You will have to convert them to wav files in order to make an audio CD.

There's only one program around, that I know of, that will directly convert a RealAudio file to a wav, dbpoweramp, however I've been told that is no longer freeware.

Another option, if you have a duplex sound card and a media player with the option to record "what you hear" (what is playing on the PC's speakers) you can then "record" the song to the hard drive as a wav file. I have the full (paid) version of MusicMatch Jukebox and it has that option.

Another option, if you have a Duplex sound card is to connect the "Line Out" to the "Line In" and then play the song with RealPlayer and record from the Line In with whatever recording program you have (The Windows Sound Recorder will not do that as it only records from the Mic input and only for 60 seconds max).

[This message was edited by Jack Stoner on 09 April 2005 at 12:23 PM.]

Gregg Thacker

Pasadena, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2005 10:29 pm    

There's a BAD link above. I tried it a couple of times.
Garry Vanderlinde

CA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2005 10:45 pm    

Try this one... http://recordlady.webgcs.com/
Howard Tate

Leesville, Louisiana, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2005 6:00 am    

I believe you can record in Audacity by opening in a new window. you must reduce both windows, and hit record in Audacity and play the .ra file in the second window. Audacity is free, and is a very handy program for removing noise and editing files.

------------------
Howard, 'Les Paul Recording, Zum S12U, Vegas 400, Boss ME-5, Boss DM-3
http://www.Charmedmusic.com

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2005 6:32 am    

Audacity does not support RA (Real Audio) files according to their site. It lists what is supported and RA is not listed then goes on to make this statement"

"Note: Audacity does not currently support WMA, AAC, or most other proprietary or restricted file formats"

Here is the link to dbPowerAmp http://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc.htm
Howard Tate

Leesville, Louisiana, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2005 6:17 pm    

Right, Audacity does not support .ra files but you can record what's coming thru the sound card, so if you play an ra file in realplayer and record in audacity at the same time it will give you a wav file of the song. I usually do it in PowerTracks but any sequencer with audio capabilities will work. dbPowerAmp will do it with less hassle I'm sure.

------------------
Howard, 'Les Paul Recording, Zum S12U, Vegas 400, Boss ME-5, Boss DM-3
http://www.Charmedmusic.com

Garry Vanderlinde

CA
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2005 10:40 pm    

Does this mean you're not suppost to be able to make a CD from the music you download from RealPlayer even though it is for your own personal use...is it illegal?
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2005 2:08 am    

You can make copies, but with the RealPlayer proprietary format you will have to have the RealPlayer program to do it. The free RealPlayer program doesn't do it. I don't know what else they have but must have something (that you can buy) that will allow you to make standard audio CD's from RealPlayer files.

That is the big knock with RealPlayer song files, the proprietary format. Many sites have abandoned RealPlayer formats for the more universal wav, MP3 and more recently the WMA (windows media) formats.

If nothing else, record them to an external audio tape, then re-record them on the PC in the wav file if you want to make a standard audio CD. You won't lose any fidelity as the RealPlayer format is a compressed audio format and thus is not full fidelity anyway.
Gere Mullican

LaVergne, Tennessee, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2005 6:04 am    

I used the "save target as..." option from Record Lady's site and tried every way I could think of to put them on a CD with no luck. Finally one day I was listening to them with RealPlayer and saw a thing that said Burn CD. I tried it and BANG it worked. Now I have them on a CD-R. I have about 10 music programs on my computer and none of them would work. I have Gold Wave,. Cake Walk, MP3 converter, Media Player and several others. I use Gold Wave to record from records and tapes and it works great. Thanks
Gere

------------------
GFI SD10, Peavey NV 112, Hilton Pedal & Boss DD-3 & PODxt

[This message was edited by Gere Mullican on 16 April 2005 at 07:05 AM.]

Jack Latimer

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2005 10:45 am    

Garry:

What file do you want off this site. I'll record it in a file format that you need to burn it and send it to you.

Jack
Garry Vanderlinde

CA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2005 9:25 pm    

Thanks Jack, It's the "Mother's Day Special" listed near the bottom of the contents page.
basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2005 4:03 pm    

The file you're trying to burn are just LINKS to the host on the web.. you haven't actually downloaded the files just their URL link.
Basil

------------------
Quote:
Steel players do it without fretting

http://www.waikiki-islanders.com