| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  From BIAB to Garage Band
Jon Jaffe

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2005 8:40 pm    

b0b recently posted (see Steel Players) two very nice mp3s that he made. I believe he made the tracks in BIAB and then exported them into Garage Band. Finally, he recorded the steel with Garage Band, and mixed them down. Like a good chef he explained what he did but left out some of the ingredients. The utility he mentions can be downloaded here:
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/13994

After that has been installed read the following:
http://www.pgmusic.com/garagebandtutorial.htm

Especially read the part about bass exportation, and the rest is cake.

Well done b0b ; )

Jerry Gleason

Eugene, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2005 5:13 pm    

I haven't been a GarageBand user (until today), but I just installed the new version, GarageBand 2, and it's easy to just drop a MIDI file into a blank song, no utility required for conversion. The program automatically assigns the correct voices to the tracks. I hadn't heard about the bass issue, but it was easy to fix in GarageBand by just transposing the track up 12 half-steps to get it an ocatave higher. I'm looking forward to playing around with it some more later tonight.

[This message was edited by Jerry Gleason on 25 January 2005 at 05:16 PM.]

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2005 11:14 am    

I think maybe you need the new version to get it to split a MIDI file into multiple tracks, which was the main purpose of the utility.

It's wierd that the bass is interpreted an octave too low by Garage Band. It was very confusing when I first encountered it.

Those Garage Band instrument tones are killer, though! Wish I could get BIAB to sound like that.

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs, Open Hearts
Sierra SD-12 (Ext E9), Williams D-12 Crossover, Sierra S-12 (F Diatonic)
Sierra Laptop 8 (E6add9), Fender Stringmaster (E13, C6, A6)
Bobby Lee

Post  Posted 26 Jan 2005 2:08 pm    

I wasn't blaming BIAB. I just haven't figured out any way to connect the Mac version of BIAB to the Garage Band instrument sounds. If anyone knows how to do that, please educate us all.
Wayne Morgan

Rutledge, TN, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2005 2:33 pm    

Hey guys, educate me and tell me about garage band

Wayne
Bobby Lee

Post  Posted 26 Jan 2005 4:23 pm    

Garage Band is a multi-track recorder/sequencer that comes bundled on new Macs. It doesn't have a lot of features, but it has some really nice MIDI instrument sounds built into it.
Travis Bernhardt

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2005 11:30 pm    

I'm not running Garageband, but I do recommend that anybody who wants their BIAB tracks to sound better should invest in some kind of budget sequencer. If you've got a Mac, Garageband is the best price/performance you'll find in a sequencer, and on the PC, there are a few options, none quite as nice, but all of them functional. Computer Music magazine includes a free sequencer and some instruments free. Download some sounds, and you're set.

-Travis
Jerry Gleason

Eugene, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2005 10:35 am    

Hmm, I like this GarageBand. I never paid much attention to it before, I thought it was only for working with prerecorded loops, but there's much more there than I thought.

Although I own a powerful, full featured audio recording and sequencing program, GarageBand is just way more fun to use for sketching out basic songs. The learning curve is laughably small, all the essential features are there, and it sounds good. This program alone should give those musically inclined folks who are teetering on the edge of buying a new Macintosh a reason to take the plunge.

Here's a few choruses of a jazz blues that I was fooling around with last night to learn the program.

Headless Bb Blues (2.5 MB mp3)

The guitar and snare drum with brushes are actual instruments that I recorded as audio in real time (Sorry, no steel on this one).. The piano and upright bass are GarageBand's software synth. I don't play keyboard, so I played those in with a MIDI guitar controller, hearing the software instruments in real time. Pretty cool!

Now I need one of those "jam packs" with more instruments. Maybe next I'll use some loops to make a hip-hop steel track....

[This message was edited by Jerry Gleason on 28 January 2005 at 12:57 PM.]

Don McClellan

California/Thailand
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2005 12:22 pm    

In an above post b0b Lee says that GarageBand interprets the bass an octive low and that he was confused by this at first. What's that all about? I have GarageBand and it seems that the bass is very low . Am I having that trouble too? And what can be done about i?. Thanks, Don
Jerry Gleason

Eugene, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2005 12:22 am    

Don, you may have already figured this out by now, but to correct this problem, simply select the bass track, then in the window below where the midi data is displayed, move the region pitch slider to 12 (+12 half-steps). That will shift the pitch up one octave.

Did anyone notice that in the list of instrument icons that you can assign to a track, there is a pedal steel icon? Or at least somebody's idea of what a pedal steel looks like- It's backwards, but it's nice to see it included.