| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Stringmaster Help
Rick Garrett

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2004 11:51 am    

On my blonde 54 Fender Stringmaster I'm having trouble getting the thing strung up. Just before the strings come to pitch they break. First 3 strings to be exact. Is there some kind of trick here that I'm missing?

Rick
Dan Sawyer

Studio City, California, USA
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2004 1:07 pm    

Check where exactly they are breaking. If it's at the bridge or nut, there may be sharp grooves worn in the metal causing the strings to break at that point. You could do some filing to smooth this out.
Bob Hickish

Port Ludlow, Washington, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2004 1:23 pm    

Rick
you have a sharp nick at the area
where the string attaches - use a
small round file and clean it up and that
will stop .
I have had the same thing happen to me !
on my 59
Bob
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2004 1:28 pm    

Rick--first thing----Ricky Davis had a detailed tutorial on how to prep the bridge and nut to prevent string breakage. I forget if it's on the forum or on his website. I'll look around and post if/when I find it--do the same, if you would, because I'd like to revisit the subject myself. I also have a 54. A 26" D8. I can't bring an .011 to pitch--G# on E13 or G on C6. So I went to A6 instead of C6. And for the E13 I swapped tuners and crossed string #1 over to tuner #2, thus putting less angle/stress on the string----a so-so solution for one string but useless information if your problem is with multiple strings.
I repeat--Ricky Davis has the answer. I may even have it saved here somewhere in which case I'll post it if I find it.
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2004 5:17 pm    

I think I found a little of the info; on that very subject that I spoke about over a year ago, here>
http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum2/HTML/004144.html
Read on it a little and see if that doesn't help you my brother. If you need more help; just yell. Oh and by the way...On that long scale Stringmaster that I worked on for my friend....I put a .012 on the high G...>so it can be done...but ya gotta do those things I've suggested or nothing will go on there.
Ricky
Rick Garrett

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2004 2:29 am    

Thanks Ricky! I looked for that thread yesterday but didn't see it. I'll start on the bridge and nut work when I get home from work today. This Fender is very resonant and sounds great if I can just get it re-strung. Sure do appreciate your help....again.

Rick
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2004 1:59 pm    

Yep, Ricky--that was the one. Thanks. I'd love to put C6 on my guitar. You really think I can do it?
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2004 10:06 pm    

Jon; Absolutely pal.
Just clean up those bridges(turn them over and/or scotch bright them and simichrome or Mothers and make sure the bridge on the right hand is exactly 26" on the adjustment screws and stick a Jagwire .012 on there and tune it right up to G man...your good to go. If for some reason the 12 don't work; do the .011 and it will for sure. Oh and it's Sooooooooo very important to do at least 5 if not 7 wraps on the tuning post; as that will stabilize the string so much more and will take less tension on the string to pull to pitch.
Ricky

[This message was edited by Ricky Davis on 28 December 2004 at 10:07 PM.]

Roy McKinney

Ontario, OR
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2004 5:54 am    

Hey Ricky, you just answered a question I have on my D8 Stringmaster about the adjustment on the right hand bridge. I am ASSUMING that the measurement is from center to center of the bridges! Thanks for answering my question without having to ask on the forum.

[This message was edited by Roy McKinney on 29 December 2004 at 05:55 AM.]

Loni Specter

West Hills, CA, USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2004 8:43 am    

If your not wraping a few turns on the tuners, it could be that the breaking point there. Check that there are no sharp edges on the holes
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2004 8:46 am    

Sure thing Roy. Yes the measurement is front top center of the nut to top center of the bridge(stringmaster scales were 22 1/2"&24 1/2"&26"). Sometimes; depending on the string gauges one uses, you can actually compensate a slight intonation problem that can occur. The lower strings can actually go a little sharp while fretting; so you can compensate that by lengthening the lower end of the bridge(flat) like a half turn. To test this; I like to play the string open and see where the note lines up on the tuner; then play the string open and then lay the bar down at the 12th fret and see if it don't go sharp...then compensate.
Have fun.
Ricky

[This message was edited by Ricky Davis on 29 December 2004 at 08:48 AM.]