| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sending MUSIC via email
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2004 7:22 pm    

My Windows 2000 on my Dell 8200, says I can send "MUSIC" via email.

Thus far, I've had NO SUCCESS whatsoever. It appears to leave my premissess but when others receive the email, it will not reproduce for their benefit.

I'd like to send you a clip from my website but don't know how to go about it. SUGGESTIONS are welcome. THANK YOU.
Jeff Strouse

Jacksonville, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2004 9:45 pm    

When I send music files, I find that the smaller the better. For instance, WAV files and some MP3s are too large to be sent. So your server will time out, or the recieving server won't accept it. If you have WinZip, you could try compressing the file with it first, before sending. Or, I think there are some other programs out there that will change file size and format.
Bill Llewellyn

San Jose, CA
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2004 8:38 am    

The size of an MP3 file depends on how much you compress it. Typically, people use 128kbits/sec which results in files that are 3 to 5 Mbytes in size. Higher compression settings result in lower bit rates and therefore smaller files, but also a corresponding reduction in quality of sound. Still, and MP3 encoded at 64kbit/sec or even lower can sound ok if all you're trying to do is give the email recipient a working copy of the song.

As an example, Alan Jackson has all tracks of his latest CD available online in their entirety, compressed to 16kbits/sec (probably not MP3, but some other similar compression format). The sound issn't great, but quite listenable so you can audition the whole album. It also streams in over a 56k modem quite easily. Of course, he wouldn't want to give the music away at its original full fidelity or we'd have no reason to buy the CD!

------------------
Bill, steelin' since '99 | Steel page | My music | Steelers' birthdays | Over 50?