| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  DVD to movie editing on PC
Bruce Wutzke

Marion, Iowa
Post  Posted 17 May 2004 7:34 am    

Same question here as Chris had but now for PC. I bought the new Sony DVD camcorder. I went this route to eliminate the USB or Firewire camera feed to the computer...I thought. Surely there is a software that will capture from the recorded discs so I cam combine a couple of the 3" discs and burn them to a regular size DVD.
Sony support was no help. All they could do was read my manual to me, which says use a USB connection to the camera.
Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 17 May 2004 8:46 am    

Bruce, What kinds of files are being stored on the camera's disks? Are they .mp2, .mpg, or some kind of mpeg2 file? This is gonna take a little research to find an exact answer. Can you read the 3" disks with a PC's drive? If you can read the camera's disks with the PC (i.e. a pc's cdrom drive or DVD drive or something like that) you are half way there.

Regards...

[This message was edited by Ray Minich on 17 May 2004 at 09:47 AM.]

Bruce Wutzke

Marion, Iowa
Post  Posted 17 May 2004 9:15 am    

I'm not sure what the clips are recorded as. I'll have to find out. But yes, I can play them on my computer and on my DVD player and watch the home movies on TV.
The software I have can see the disc in my DVD drive and shows a folder. When I open the folder, it is blank. I assume this is because the file extensions do not match each other. This is the case with a couple of Ulead programs AND the software that came with the camera.
I could copy it straight over to a normal size DVD, but I thought it would save to be able to put 2 or 3 of the mini's on one DVD.
Thanks
Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 17 May 2004 10:42 am    

If you can find that the files are .mp2 or .mpg, you can use Ulead's editing suite to combine them then make a DVD from the assembled clips using the DVD authoring program/system. A lot can go wrong in the mean time so be prepared for a long haul until it works. And just 'cause it works once doesn't mean its gonna work twice. There's a lot to figure out here so be prepared.
George Wixon

Waterbury, CT USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2004 1:05 pm    

I just picked up a package called "Studio AV/DV Delux 9" made by Pinnacle. It works well and lets you capture both analog and digital video with sound to your computer. You can edit with it and do most any thing at all that you like and in the end you can burn DVD as well as a host of others and also output to tape. I purchased it because I have a lot of lesson material on video tape and I want to transfer it all to DVD.
You may want to check it out at the web site for Pinnacle.
George
Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2004 1:36 pm    

I advise you not to buy any Pinnacle software. It didn't work at all for me, and it didn't work at all for the majority of buyers.

Here is a typical page of reviews: http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/software/contentcreation/0,39024138,39119241,00.htm

there are plenty more

Bruce Wutzke

Marion, Iowa
Post  Posted 17 May 2004 4:16 pm    

OK, the disc is composed of mpeg2 after recording. I am new at this video stuff so I appreciate all the help I can get.
What is the DVD ripper software? Does this capture clips that can be imported into the movie editing software?