| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Mac OS10.3
Bob Hickish

Port Ludlow, Washington, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2004 3:32 pm    

I'm running OS10.2.8 on 9.2.2 clasic and had a problem with 10 !! I got the blue screen treatment ! I did all the tricks that apple sugests to do with no fix , So I thought I would reload the system with OS10 .3 but could not get to first base installing ! I have a Mac G3 tower Bague 400+ MB Ram -300Mz -2 HDs 18 and 6 GB ! The only thing I did not have was the USB card ! can any one tell me if this was the hang up ! Is that required to load OS 10.3 Mac. not so smart Bob
Cal Sharp

the farm in Kornfield Kounty, TN
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2004 4:13 pm    

Are you saying that you had 10.2.8 on your Mac and then bought the Panther upgrade and it failed to install correctly?
Bob Hickish

Post  Posted 27 Apr 2004 4:52 pm    

Cal
It would not even start up off the disk ! I got a note saying I needed to up grade the Framewere ! I down loaded the up grade from apple ! and the Mac. said I did not have a flashable card . so I assume that the up grade was not the problem ! now that's where I might be wrong !!! The only thing that is not installed is the USB card . all the Mac wizards here say that the OS 10 .3 should install with out that !!
There seems to be a lot of knowladge out there on the Fourm ! and some one would have had a simeler problem and be able offer a sugestion . I may have to reinstall 10.2 untill I find out what the problem is
Bob
Cal Sharp

Post  Posted 27 Apr 2004 5:21 pm    

You could reboot from the install disk that came with the computer and run disk utility. Maybe that'll find something.
Bob Hickish

Post  Posted 27 Apr 2004 6:28 pm    

Cal
I have the computer running on OS 9.2 as we speak ! 10.2 will load up -but when its time to display the Desk top it goes BLUE
nothing showing . So rather than trying to
reload 10.2 - I thought I would up grade to
the 10.3 but for some reason it will not
install !! No way ! No How ! I even
reformatted the 18 Gig HD to a Mac
extended and split with a partition with
8+gigs on each side Thinking it didn't like
the wide open HD -No Joy-It just don't like
something about this G3 tower . its most
likely something very simple for every thing checks OK when running the tests that you suggest , it would seem ! some times we just love pain , so that why we up grade these things !!! I would much rather be out playing music .
Bob
Cal Sharp

Post  Posted 27 Apr 2004 7:02 pm    

I don't think you can upgrade to 10.3.x (Panther) unless you have a working 10.2.x (Jaguar) installation, so you have to install that first, and reinstall the OS 9 stuff so it will run in Classic. Then upgrade to 10.3.x. Then check for a software update to the current version, which is 10.3.3. Then open system preferences and select 10.3.3 as your startup disk and reboot. Good luck!
Cal Sharp

Post  Posted 27 Apr 2004 7:27 pm    

Here's what is says on the Apple website about the requirements for Panther:

"Requirements:
Macintosh computer with PowerPC G3, G4, or G5 processor; built-in USB; and 128MB of physical RAM. "

That part about the built-in USB sounds a little worrisome.
Bob Hickish

Post  Posted 28 Apr 2004 6:27 am    

Cal
I think your right on both counts ! I'm going to do a remove and install on 10 .2 and reinstall the upgrades to 10.2.8 ! - get the USB card and start from there . one of the reasons I wanted the OS 10.3 is the Garage band that sounds like it could be fun on a cold winter day
Bob
Dave Van Allen

Doylestown, PA , US , Earth
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2004 10:29 am    

"Built in USB" does not mean an add on card. It means factory designed and BUILT IN to the logic board.

The Beige G3 Tower (I have one) will not accept 10.3... the best I can get it to do is 10.2.8

There is a product dedicated to getting OS X to run on older legacy macs: XPostFacto

http://eshop.macsales.com/OSXCenter/XPostFacto/
which I haven't yet tried on mine. from the website it appears Panther support for Beige G3 is just in development stage

If you feel compelled to go to Panther save your pennies for a G4 Macintosh. I think the system requirements just for garage band alone are way beyond what the g3 hardware will handle.

they call it 'planned obsolescence".

I would suggest reinstalling 10.2 from scratch and update it to 10.2.8 and leave it there.

[This message was edited by Dave Van Allen on 28 April 2004 at 11:31 AM.]

Bob Hickish

Post  Posted 28 Apr 2004 1:56 pm    

Dave
Thanks for that info ! I was just about to do what you suggested , and thought I would look one more time on this post before starting it . I will be glad to get back to 10 ! This 9 is a pane .
Thanks again Dave ! if I'm not heard froom again , I'm out there in 10.2 siber space . Good picken & thanks Bob
Mike Jones

Goodlettsville,TN,USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2004 1:23 pm    

Garage Band requires a G-3 600 Mhz to run although it will run on OS 10.2.6 or better.
This is what Apple says the requirements are,
iLife System Requirements
* Macintosh computer with a PowerPC G3, G4 or G5 processor
* 600MHz G3 or faster required for GarageBand
* G4 or faster required for GarageBand software instruments

* 733MHz G4 or faster required for iDVD
* 256MB of physical RAM
* Mac OS X v10.2.6 or later (Mac OS X v10.2.8 or later recommended)
* QuickTime 6.4 or later (QuickTime 6.5 included)
* Display with at least 1024-by-768-pixel resolution
* DVD drive required to install GarageBand and iDVD
* 4.3GB of disk space required to install GarageBand, iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie and iDVD; or 250MB to install iTunes, iPhoto and iMovie only.
Bob Hickish

Post  Posted 9 May 2004 4:01 am    

Thanks for that info Mike - I have every thing but the 6oomz !!! I did what Dave sugested , reinstall 10.2.8 and have it runing smoth ! I did try the xpost facto that Dave mentioned and it help'd the system work UNTIL I tryed ond last emprovement and it all went south !! so I started over - with out !! xpost facto
Thanks Mike
Good pick'n Bob