| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  BIAB vs. Cakewalk
Larry Lorows

Zephyrhills,Florida, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2004 7:48 pm    

Hi guys, I recently purchased BIAB, and I'm disappointed in the sampling of the instruments. My question is, what software should I have purchased to make a decent recording? I don't expect cd quality, but I don't want it to sound like my buddy's keyboard either. Thanks Larry

------------------
U12 Williams keyless 400
Sessions 400, Line 6 pod xt
Les Pierce

Shreveport, LA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2004 8:02 pm    

It is my understanding the BIAB uses your computers MIDI setup, and produces no sounds of it's own, only MIDI information.

If that's still the case, your computer will have to provide the sounds you seek. You could use and external MIDI sound device, like a Roland Sound Canvas, etc.

If you don't like MIDI, you'll need to buy ACID or some other loop sequencer to build your songs, but it definitely won't be as easy as BIAB.

Les
Larry Lorows

Zephyrhills,Florida, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2004 8:09 pm    

Thanks Les, That Roland external sounds like it might do the trick for me. I'm really at the very first rung of the learning ladder with BIAB. I think it probably is as easy to learn as any of them. Thanks again , Larry

------------------
U12 Williams keyless 400
John Bresler R.I.P.

Thornton, Colorado
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2004 7:07 am    

Contact Jim Baron for expert advice on BIAB. He's the man!!! and he can also give you good advice on Roland Sound canvas and other virtual sound cards. Jim's a forum member.
Miguel e Smith

Phoenix, AZ
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2004 8:55 pm    

Sounds as if you are wanting to make a leap to higher end production tools. I've been a Cakewalk user since switching from Mac/Vision over 4-years ago. But, everyone is correct in that Cakewalk does not provide sounds in and of itself. The new version of Cakewalk is Sonar and is both a midi sequencer and an audio recorder. Some incredible stuff has been done on it (a friend just finished producing the new Marion Meadows jazz CD...just great), but you'd have to invest in either stand alone midi modules or virtual synths (Gigastudio/Gigasampler is very nice). Your only real limitation will be the learning curve and your imagination.

Mike
Larry Clark

Herndon, VA.
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2004 8:12 am    

Larry, You didn't say what type of soundcard is in your computer but some of the stock cards that manufacturers use can be pretty lame. You might find that upgrading your soundcard may give you better quality midi instrument sounds than what you're currently getting.
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2004 9:21 am    

Like has been noted before, BIAB just creates the "signals", it's your sound card that gives you the sound. I recently upgraded my system since I use BIAB extensively for backup tracks. In my rack unit I use an Edirol sound unit. I believe these are a Roland product. The unit I have is 32 bit, if I'm not mistaken. If you have one of the later BIAB versions, it comes with a "virtual" sound card that a lot of the guys use and are very happy with.
Erv

[This message was edited by Erv Niehaus on 28 April 2004 at 10:23 AM.]

Larry Lorows

Zephyrhills,Florida, USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2004 12:56 pm    

Hi everybody, I'd like to thank each and every one of you for resopnding to my questions. You've certainly been a big help and I'm going to be doing some serious research into what I want to do.
I'm a sign painter, so I'll just have to paint a few more signs to get into it more deeply. ha ha
I've made some really interesting practice tracks for Indiana, Somewhere Over the Rainbow, Steelin' the Blues. Stuff like that. Thak God for fake books, I'm too dumb to come up with the right chords for some of these songs.
thanks again, Larry Lorows

------------------
U12 Williams keyless 400