| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Windows 98 error
jolynyk

Prince Albert Sask. Canada
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2004 10:19 am    

OK got all my Norton fixed up, but when I try to boot Windows 98 , I get the following error........

While initiating device IOS:
ERROR: Real Mode System Memory Allocation Failed

Can anyone help with this... What can I do to correct this??? Thanks. John
Tom Diemer

Defiance, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2004 4:42 pm    

John, there are quite a few things that can cause that error. It means that something in your c:\windows\system\iosubsys isn't able to load. Could be a corrupt file, low memory, or any number of reasons why it can't load. Look for something you changed just before you saw the error.

Things to watch for are drivers like Roxio CD software, Nero INCD, or printer drivers - something that loads a hardware driver on windows startup.

Since you just made some software changes with Norton, perhaps you should try restoring your registry to a day or two before you made the change to it.

Or, run msconfig at the start button/run prompt, and uncheck everything except systray (and explorer.exe if it's Win 98 first edition) and reboot - load things one at a time until you find the one causing the problem.

Hope this helps.

Tom
jolynyk

Post  Posted 1 Feb 2004 6:52 pm    

Thanks for your answer Tom... First I can't remember what happened before the error, except that I had another error with it .. that error was...
(Cannot find a device file that may be needed to run windows or a window application. Windows registry or System.Ini file no longer exists.. C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\SYMEVNT.386 Press a key to continue)
It also said either replace the missing file or uninstall the program.. then when I pressed a key to continue I got this present error,...so I uninstalled Norton, & then reinstalled it. now Norton works OK, but didn't before.. Now the only error I get is this error.. I am Running Win98 SE.. So I installed 98 SE over the top of the existing windows... everything went fine, then it says I must reboot for changes to take place.. So I hit OK .. It reboots ,then runs for awhile & again I get this error.. Tom I tried to be explicit so that may give you more history as to what I've done so far...Are Windows 98 SE restorable to an earlier date?? I didn't think they were, & if they are I'm not sure how to do this... Can I still run msconfig, can I uncheck Explorer with 98 SE??? thanks for your help... I have 2 hard drives, Win 98 SE on one & XP pro on the other.. I was working on XP when this happened, & I went to shutdown/restart when this happened, & 98 wouldn't restart... I've been running dual system since XP Pro first came out & this is the first time I've encountered a problem... but it's a biggie....... John
Tom Diemer

Defiance, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2004 7:35 pm    

John,

Yes, you can restore the registry to an earlier date with Win98. It isn't quite the same as XP's restore, but it's quite effective. It keeps 6 backups (makes a new one each new day you boot the computer, older ones get deleted!)

When you boot, hit the F8 key to get the win98 boot menu. (you have to start tapping the key soon as you see video, keep tapping it till you see the menu - if you see the Win98 banner, you didn't hit it soon enough) Choose 'command prompt only'- I think it's number 5 option. It will boot to a COh Well prompt.

Type scanreg and hit enter to load it.
It will scan for errors - probably won't find any - almost never does... Once it finishes, hit 'view backups'.

You will see the other dates you can restore the registry to. Pick one before the problem started, and choose 'restore'.

It will make you reboot normally when it's done.

Hope this helps John. I'll be watching for your reply if I can help further.

FYI, I had this exact thing happen to one of my customers, after installing a failed Norton program update. Same situation - restoring the registry fixed theirs, so maybe we will get lucky here.

Tom

[This message was edited by Tom Diemer on 01 February 2004 at 07:40 PM.]

jolynyk

Post  Posted 1 Feb 2004 8:03 pm    

Tom, I'm on Windows Xp now, so I'll have to reboot to 98 to try this, but before I go to 98 you mentioned run msconfig, & uncheck everything except systray, & explorer.exe if it's win 98 first edition & reboot... Since I'm running 98 SE, should I uncheck Explorer.exe & reboot... should I try this first or should I try the restore first... I'll wait for your reply before I try either, & incidentally you don't happen to have a small sledge hammer, in case all this fails....
Tom Diemer

Defiance, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2004 8:47 pm    

John,

You won't see Explorer in your list with Win98 SE - and it's required for windows to run, so it doesn't show there. The older Win98 did show it, and you needed to leave it checked to run. When I typed that, I didn't know which you had.

I would do the registy first if it were me, unless you see something obvious in msconfig / startup. Since it worked before the norton change, the registry would be the most likely problem you have.

jolynyk

Post  Posted 1 Feb 2004 9:00 pm    

OK thanks Tom... will post the results later tonite or tomorrow, & thanks for taking the time to guide me through this....
John
jolynyk

Post  Posted 1 Feb 2004 9:30 pm    

OK I tried the restore, & it gave me 4 options the earliest being 1/10/04, but i probably need a date about early Dec, at latest around 01/01, so that didn't work .
I then tried the other suggestion, & deleted everything except systray, & still get the same error on reboot, now to get the same things checked again, do I restore to todays date?? now is the next step the sledge hammer... ???? John
Lem Smith

Long Beach, MS
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2004 9:53 pm    

John,
If you're wanting to just recheck everything that was previously checked, you can run msconfig again and add 'em back that way.
Lem Smith

Long Beach, MS
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2004 9:59 pm    

John,
Also take a look at this link. I think you might find the info very helpful, especially on down toward the bottom of the page.

Hope this helps.

Lem http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/win98/t1027576798
jolynyk

Post  Posted 1 Feb 2004 10:31 pm    

Ok thanks, going back to Win 98, & try this. will keep you all posted... John
But I got to say this... Ouch my head hurts.. & they told me these machines are user friendly... maybe but for this old man???
jolynyk

Post  Posted 2 Feb 2004 1:06 pm    

Thanks, yes that last link helped & i got the windows screen up & going but there are a few other problems now, like norton still acting up ,& another message that says can't load program files , make sure the disk is in & the door shut correctly, & when I hit OK I get the fatal error blue screen.. I'll fool with it a bit longer, but if it won't clear up I'll just reformat the hard drive & reinstall Windows.. Thank you all for your help.. I really appreciate it... John
Lem Smith

Long Beach, MS
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2004 8:31 pm    

John,
If you don't have a lot of files that would be irreplacable, then the reformatting idea would probably be the way I'd go. I know back when I ran Win98/Me, I wound up doing that very thing on numerous occasions.

Lem
jolynyk

Post  Posted 3 Feb 2004 8:58 am    

Lem,
Yes I do have a lot of stuff on there, especially some programs that I don't have on XP... I am in South Texas for the winter, & like a dummy I left all my program CD's at home, like IE, etc. all my drivers.. every year I used to haul them with me & never used them, so this year I thought I'd travel lighter, & here I am.. where are they when I need them.
I got most things working, except it can't find IE, although it's still in Programs, & add Remove programs, and when I click on my computer, the little flashlight comes up to do a search, but freezes & doesn't move, so I hit CAD, & it goes back to desktop, if I could get those two things going, I'll be happy.. I can get on the internet OK, thanks. John
Tom Diemer

Defiance, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2004 6:30 pm    

John, you are probably getting tired of hearing from me.. lol - not helping much.

If you care to go further with this, I'll keep shooting ideas at you.

If you have your Windows CD with you, you might try running System file checker, see if you find any corrupt windows files. If you want to try it, click on start/run and type in sfc then hit ok. Let it scan the drive for corrupt or out of version files.

Sounds like that Norton install really messed things up for you.

I do this for a living - it can really get tough sometimes to find the problem - like a needle in a haystack. I always go back to what happened at the time the problem started, which in your case was Norton. Or a pre-existing condition that could have caused the Norton install to fail.

jolynyk

Post  Posted 4 Feb 2004 4:30 am    

Hi Tom, No I don't get tired of hearing from you... on the contrary, I'm getting tired of me ha... & Yes I'm still with it...
I guess I'm just too persistent, My motto I guess, somebody built this thing, I should be able to at least run it...
Anyway I downloaded & installed IE6update, & now I got my IE back & can browse with it.. but problem still exists, if I double click on my computer icon, or on Windows Explorer, my screen goes blank for a moment, then a blue screen comes up that says:::A fatal exception of OE has occurred at 0028:00000000.The current application will be terminated. Press any key to continue..
I do that and get another screen that says::: A fatal exception of OD has occurred at 0246:014747FB. The current application will be terminated. Press any key to continue.. I do & it goes to the white screen, & says click here to restore my active desktop.. I do but it freezes... I manually restart the computer... everything else works fine... At first this USER FRIENDLY machine, had me dissappointed & mad, wanting to smash it, but the deeper I'm getting into it , I'm starting to learn a lot... Thanks John...
Tom you can pm me at jolynyk@wmconnect.com if you like... but maybe others can learn from the forum also if they encounter this kind of problem....
jolynyk

Post  Posted 4 Feb 2004 4:40 am    

Forgot to say that I cured the IOS error I had saying Real mode system memory allocation failed.. I posted that on a Microsoft users forum, & one guy replied:: It is not your memory/cpu/motherboard. It is most likely a bad file in the c;/windows\systemiosubsys folder. go to that folder, find the RMM.PDR file & rename or delete it, reset, & reboot & you should be fine.. the file was RMM.PDR, I renamed it to RMM.OLD, rebooted & it worked...
So I'm slowly but surely getting this back to NORMAL whatever that is..ha
jolynyk

Post  Posted 4 Feb 2004 5:15 am    

Tom, I ran the suggested scan, & it found a user.exe error in c;\windows\system also 9 dll files in the same location.. found & fixed them , but I'm still getting the fatal exception error.. almost seems like Windows Explorer is missing... John
Tom Diemer

Defiance, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2004 9:56 am    

John, does the OE or OD error show a module the error happened in? 0028 errors are very common - need a little more information about which dll or vxd caused it.

Those 9 files are also common errors. I know just which ones they were.. User.exe usually will report corruption, but it's because of a datestamp mismatch. Hardly ever actually damaged. It doesn't hurt to replace it to be sure.

Tom
jolynyk

Post  Posted 4 Feb 2004 10:14 am    

Tom I don't see any module, where would I look to find it..All it says is Exception of OD: at 0246:014747FB, then it says application will be terminated... John
Tom Diemer

Defiance, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2004 2:52 pm    

Ok John. This is definately related to the anti-virus program.

I'm seeing a lot of issues on that particular error code being aimed at McAfee Antivirus software. Did you have McAfee before loading Norton?

If so, you have to manually remove the McAfee agent from startup (with msconfig / startup), also look in Taskmanager for an auto-update program, similar to Norton's ndetect.exe

According to the documents I'm reading, if the McAfee agent is loaded, then Norton loads, you will get that OE 0028: , followed by the OD 0246: error code.

Any luck?

If not, try removing Norton ndetect.exe from taskmanager, and see if that resolves the error. (we can reinstall that later after we pinpoint the problem)

Tom

jolynyk

Post  Posted 4 Feb 2004 11:07 pm    

Ok , just got home Tom, I will go over to 98 & take a look at what you said... No I never ever had McAffee installed only Norton.. I will go over & remove any signs of Norton that I can find... & let you know.. John
jolynyk

Post  Posted 5 Feb 2004 11:20 am    

Tom, I went to startup & unchecked everything that even suggested Norton or Virus scan... Can't find anything on McAffee, I tried find folders thinking I'll look for McAffee that way, but as soon as I type the first letter "m" the screen goes blank & I get that error message again.. the same as I double click on Windows Explorer.. I wish I had my 98SE disk with me, I would try to run that over top.. shouldn't that put back Win Exp. for me... I'm using a fiends disk to over install 98, & that should have given me Win Exp. John
jolynyk

Post  Posted 5 Feb 2004 12:00 pm    

Tom, maybe this'll help...I finally got this message today, & I don't know what I did out of the norm to get it..
Kernel 132
explorer caused a general protection fault in module KRNL386.EXE @ 0001:000075a2

John....
jolynyk

Post  Posted 5 Feb 2004 12:46 pm    

Got some more info:::
I ran Dr. Watson from the help menu,& found
Adobe Type Manager has altered Windows System Files::
Module Name: ATMSYS.DRV
Description: Adobe Type Manager
Version: Rv4.00-32S058G06NN
Product: Adobe Type manager
Manufacturer: Adobe Systems Incorperated