| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Does anyone have a problem streaming audio...
erik

Post  Posted 29 Dec 2003 4:48 pm    

at soundclick.com? My WMP will not do it. It always worked now, not at all. I've reinstalled my o.s. twice in the last week and still the same issue. The reistall was because my hard drive went wacky. But as a result my windows media player will no longer stream at soundclick. Any ideas?
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2003 8:14 pm    

Yes; possibly there's some settings overlooked.
First off....>what does play the streams at soundclick.com????
Ok pull up your WMP and click Tools;Options;Network tab and make sure those 4 items are Checked under "Streaming Protocols> and click Apply. Than click the "File Types" Tab and click "Select All" (unless you have a DVD player you like to use instead of WMP)Than click Apply...then click OK....and close and get after it.
Ricky
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2003 11:58 am    

Well???
erik

Post  Posted 1 Jan 2004 3:56 am    

Thanks for the suggestions, Ricky. I'm afraid I need a new computer because I have nothing but problems all the time. I low-level formatted my hard drive, reinstalled all my o.s., programs, etc, and nothing has changed. I downloaded WMP 7.1 and got "illegal operation" from windows and terminated the install. I still get an error code when trying to stream at soundclick. I even clicked the windows troublshooting link and MS has nothing on file for this error. It never ends. I continue to struggle with this because I'm planning on buying a home soon and do not want to buy or charge any major purchases until I get a mortgage. Otherwise I would buy a new computer. Thanks for your help.
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2004 8:37 am    

Yep sorry this is happenin' Erik..there's nothing like a computer going weird on ya.
Eventhough your reformatting harddrive and reloading operating system....>your computer has built in Drivers from the manufacturer that are mess up. If you have it running...try going to the manufacturer website and download all the drivers for your particular model..
I've done this with a few computers for guys and has fixed the prob....>but I also reloaded with Windows XP....
Anyhow...good luck to ya...
Ricky

[This message was edited by Ricky Davis on 01 January 2004 at 08:38 AM.]

Everett Cox

Marengo, OH, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2004 2:36 pm    

Eric-- If you really did a "low-level format", that could be a major problem. If you did the FDISK format, OK. You didn't provide enough specific machine info to allow us to help much. If you know or can find out the brand and model of the motherboard, THAT'S where to start first.

Most MB's have specific drivers for the particular chip-sets used. These drivers help to integrate the MB with the operating system like the sound/video/printer/.etc drivers do for the individual devices. If the MB chips can't 'talk' to the OS, all sorts of wierd things happen. Most of the time, the Windows system recognises and has built-in drivers for the various chipsets and we forget they ALSO may be required.

Give us more info and we might have ideas.
--Everett

John Floyd

R.I.P.
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2004 3:00 pm    

If you really did a low level format on an IDE drive, that can cause big problems. Thats a big no no.If you just re partitioned your drive with FDisk, thats not Low level formatting, but it does serve to erase the entire drive, Then you have to format with your OS. I'm like Everett, Incorrect or missing Drivers can cause all kinds of wierd problems. Good Luck

I just went thru this a few months ago and lost years of data, email addresses, etc.

Also go to Windows Update and start down loading all the recommended patches for your Windows version. Also it will look at tour system and see if you have the correct driver updates for your hardware. There is a new version Of WMP (9) there too. Downloading it might just correct the problem with it. Windows media player 9 is a total package as I remember it, replacing any other version entirely. If you have more than one media player such as Real Audio, WMP and RealPLayer will continiosly fight each other for control of certain audio file types. I just went to soundclick.com and selected a song and Realplayer came up and played it no problem. Also you didn't say how much RAM you have in this computer. It used to be that you could do anything with 64mb, now it more like you need 256mb just to get by. Some one gave me two 128mb Dimm modules a while back and I installed it and cured a whole bunch of instability problems instantly. I haven't had a lock up or crash since I installed the 256mb.
john

[This message was edited by John Floyd on 01 January 2004 at 03:21 PM.]

erik

Post  Posted 4 Jan 2004 1:47 pm    

I can't fix it so I downloaded Winamp lite. It does the trick. Thanks.