| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Vertical scroll bars
C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2003 7:49 am    

A few months ago, a strange thing began to happen on my new XP Sony Computer. If any window has a vertical scroll bar appearing, and I click on the bare area above the bottom arrow (below the scroll bar) I will go directly to the bottom of the window.

This does not happen when I click just below the upper arrow (above the scroll bar). This appeared to happen AFTER I downloaded a Microsoft software upgrade from their website. NOT sure though.

Has any one seen this phehomenon and if so have you found a cure? A reboot does not correct the problem.

Thanks,

carl
Everett Cox

Marengo, OH, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2003 10:27 am    

Carl-- It's not a 'problem', the scrolling is SUPPOSED to work that way. Clicking the arrows at either end of a scroll bar will move the window's contents in small increments. Clicking a point on the croll bar between the arrows moves the contents in larger increments. The size of the increments is relative to the amount of data contained in the window.

Look at a long thread or post - like one of Jody's stories

Click an arrow to move the data a little bit at a time. Holding the button will repeat the process. Click between the arrows to move data a larger amount. Holding the button will, again, repeat the process 'till the data has scrolled to that RELATIVE point.
--Everett
C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2003 12:05 pm    

Sorry Everett,

You missunderstood my problem. I understand HOW scroll bars work. I am not talking about clicking on the up and down arrows, I am talking about ONLY clicking in the space below the scroll bar. When I do this I go directly to the bottom of whatever window I am using; NO matter how long the window is. ON the other hand when I click above the scroll bar it moves the window in increments as you state.

Also, it just started doing this. The same thing happens If I use the wheel on my mouse. IE, I can scroll up smoothly, but if I try to scroll down, it goes immediately to the bottom of the window regardless of how long the window is.

carl
Mark Ardito

Chicago, IL, USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2003 1:59 pm    

Carl,

I know what you mean. It was a "upgrade" that came with an Internet Explorer patch recently. I hate it! For example, if you click on the scroll bar, it used to go "one" screen lower. Now, it goes ALL THE WAY to the bottom of the screen. One way to get around this is to click right below where the bar is at, then it will only jump to 3/4 of the screen. I find this a major pain and not a Microsoft good update.

Sorry Carl...no solutions to this problem.

Cheers!
Mark

------------------
Sho~Bud Pro I, Fender D-8 (C6&E13) http://www.darkmagneto.com

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2003 2:37 pm    

The Windows API for scollbars includes a way to respond to mouse clicks in that area. A programmer is expected to write code that will scroll the window down by one visual page. Applications vary in this implementation, though. The scroll amount is set by the application programmer, not by Windows itself. I think you will discover, as you try different applications, that the scroll amount varies from one to the next.

It sounds like maybe Microsoft has changed the scroll behavior of IE recently. I know that in some programs, the position of your mouse click within the scrollbar area will cause the window to scroll to that relative area of the document. So, if you "miss" the bottom arrow, it is interpreted as a desire to move to the bottom of the document.

One precept of good UI design is the understanding that "users can't control their mouse pointers". We all like to think that users are real good at this, but in fact they are not. Even expert computer users hit the wrong point on the screen about 10% of the time.

Microsoft has never been real good at UI design!

------------------
               Bobby Lee
-b0b-   quasar@b0b.com

System Administrator

[This message was edited by b0b on 21 December 2003 at 02:37 PM.]

Kenny Dail

Kinston, N.C. R.I.P.
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2003 2:47 pm    

I like to use the arrows (<^>) on the keyboard to scroll up and down and sideways. I have better control with those than with the mouse.

------------------
kd...and the beat goes on...