| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Strange problem on newer computer.
C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2003 5:15 pm    

I have been experiecing an intermittent problem on my Sony computer with windows XT. I wonder if any of you folks have experienced it?

It is so highly intermittent that it may go a month before showing up and yet at other times it may occur every day. Or maybe once a week. It is a Sony newer model:

1. 1.2 Ghz processor

2. 512 Mb ram

3. 60 Gb HDD

4. Windows XT with all the latest updates from Microsoft.

The problem when it happens, affects ONLY two things that I am aware of.

1. The smooth action of the mouse pointer

2. The Sound.

What happens is this. If I try to move the mouse over a wide distance, it will move smoothly up to a point and then the mouse pointer will simply freeze and then it will catch up to my mouse movement a bit later; and then repeat a little further the same thing. This problem occurs with any direction of the mouse movement.

Now before you tell me it is my mouse or needs cleaning let me share with you something that also happens at the precise time it happens to the pointer. The sound cuts out. ANY sound that is being produced in the speaker will cut out when the mouse freezes, only to begin again when the pointer starts moving.

I first thought that it might be a memory problem. So I doubled the memory. Originally had 256MB. NO change. Then I thought it might be something to do with various websites but then I noticed that with ONLY one program launched (wordperfect) it still is apt to do it.

Once it starts doing it NOTHING will help that I know of except of course a reboot.

I am suspecting that the processor clock is stopping, what say ye?

carl
Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2003 5:48 pm    

I assume you mean Window XP. It sounds like an interrupt conflict, where the mouse and the audeo are using the same interrupt. Once in a while they both try to do something at the same time and cause each other to hang.

The following will apply if you have a serial mouse: I'm not sure if you can look at all the setting from inside Windows, but go to Start-Settings-Control Panel-System. Click the Hardware tab and then Device Manager.

From there, expand Ports (COM & LPT) and double click on the serial ports and make note of the interrupts (IRQ) they are using in the Resources tab. Do the same thing on Sound, video, and game controllers, especially the audio codecs. Either change one to an unused interrupt or click the box to use automatic settings.

Also any exclamation points (!) next to the devices could indicate a conflict.

Some of this may be able to be examined and/or changed in the Plug-n-Play settings of your system BIOS.
C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2003 7:03 pm    

Jim,

You are sooo correct. It is indeed XP. I was working with some chatroom software called bots and the latest version ended XT. So it must have been on my brain that caused the mistake.

Also, I believe your advice is sound (no pun intended)). The only problem I have with it is why things will work perfectly for months, then one day it will happen and may happen every day for a few days then maybe another week or month will go by and then repeat.

It is so highly unpredicatable that once I reboot it might take several months before it reoccurs. But sooner or later when I least expect it I hear my sound start cutting out and sure enough when I go to use the mouse I get that freezup simultaneously.

But your suggestion is worth a stab. I will check into those addresses and interrupts. That is an area of all windows based computers that has needed to be totally redesigned IMO. I did not give that a thought.

In a word computers were NEVER designed to handle all the peripherals that came along and "sharing" problems have ensued as a result ever since. Then again it might be the inernal computer clock that is stopping. Not sure.

I wonder sometimes if automobiles had the same poor basic design as computers; where we would be today. Imagine and engine just stopping on a highway for NO reason? Or stopping because its engine was "full"?

Dang Bill Gates anyway with his Dos cap on sideways.

oh well,

and thanks again,

carl
Mark Ardito

Chicago, IL, USA
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2003 5:46 am    

Carl,

I would start in the "Task Manager" and take a look at what is actually running on your machine.

If you hit "CTRL+ALT+DEL" you will be prompted a box. Select the "Task Manager". Now, click the 2nd tab that is called "Processes". Click the CPU column heading (this allows you to sort by High to low in values). Take a look at see if there are any applications that are "spiking" your processor. Also try clicking on the performance tab at the top and taking a look at the graph. Do you see any spikes? By spikes I mean something REALLY slamming your processor like at 70 or 80%.

Next I would take a look into MSCONFIG. There was a thread here a couple of weeks ago about it. You can read my advice here.

Let me know...

Cheers!
Mark

------------------
Sho~Bud Pro I, Fender D-8 (C6&E13) http://www.darkmagneto.com