| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Switching dial-ups
erik

Post  Posted 19 Oct 2003 8:16 am    

I've been using localnet for an ISP for two years. Their performance has been suffering of late, so I decided to check out the grass on the other side. Not much difference. I tested my connections for both using the cnet bandwidth meter. Both come in at low 20s kbps. It seems no one can offer true 56k. Unless it's my "phone lines". You know how they always say that.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2003 3:29 pm    

20kbps is pretty good for dialup! Most times, these speeds are limited by other factors, like distance from router, number of phone extensions you have, software drivers, etc.. DSL is getting pretty cheap, and might be an alternative if you don't have access to cable.
Russ Wever

Kansas City
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2003 6:29 pm    

erik,
For a period I experienced slower than slow hookups and far too many disconnects and interupts with my 'dedicated line' dial-up service. The ISP blamed, of course, the phone line.
What I found out was that I could request that the phone company come out with their test gear and check the line, and at no charge other than my usual monthly phone service bill.
You might consider finding out if your phone company will do the same.
Also, if your local ISP offers more than one dial-up access number, try using one of the alternative numbers.
~Russ
~Russ