| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Picture size?
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2003 7:50 am    

I'm very slowly coming to terms with some of the technology involved, but I remain a novice for now.

I have some photos on my hard-drive, but they're far too big to send in an e-mail. I've 'clicked' on various icons, but so far I'm unable to see how to reduce something that's around 2000KBs to a more-managable 50 or 60KBs.

Can anyone help? I have Windows 98, and MSN Explorer (7.1), a compatible HP scanner, and now a Kodak DX6490 camera.

Thanks for your time....

RR
Lawrence Sullivan

Granite City, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2003 8:35 am    

Pics in JPG format are easy to send but are not good for printing
We have a Compac scanner that you have a choice of formats when scanning, and choice of scanning to the computer or to email so I pick JPG if sending it email, does yours have this option???
Outlook Express has a setting that can be changed to send larger files as I have sent MP3 files of 2mb To do this in Outlook, click tools. click options, click advanced. it will show the setting and you can then change it, possibly you ISP has a similar setting???
Hope this is some help.
Larry
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2003 9:13 am    

Thanks, Larry

What do I do about the pictures that are already in my computer's hard-drive? Some of these are very big, and would, no doubt, print nicely, but I'd like to be able to send them, or even 'post' on the Forum occasionally.

I've seen what happens when Forumites 'post' pics that are too big - we have to scroll backwards and forwards to view them.

I appreciate your help - I'm checking my scanner in a moment.

Roger

[This message was edited by Roger Rettig on 21 October 2003 at 10:14 AM.]

Donna Dodd

Acworth, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2003 2:25 pm    

Roger, I always upload mine to OFOTO, which is free. Upload at full resolution on their free server. Then you choose the "share photos" option, put the email address in, and PRESTO! Also, by uploading them at full resolution, the file doesn't have to go through the mail server for everyone who views them. Also, they have an option to order prints from OFOTO. They're at www.ofoto.com. I'm going to send you a link to one of my photo albums just like I would normally do. It'll be an album from the St. Louis show. So look for it in your email from donnabdodd@yahoo.com. That way, you can see how easy it is to manipulate -- absolutely NO hassle!
Donna
Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2003 2:29 pm    

I open them in Paint Shop Pro, resize them to 500 pixels wide, then save them as JPG with a quality setting in the 15 to 25 range. That makes them very suitable for email or web viewing.

Paint Shop Pro costs about $80, but it's worth every penny if you like to play with pictures on your computer. It's a very powerful program.

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs, Open Hearts
Sierra Session 12 (E9), Williams 400X (Emaj9, D6), Sierra Olympic 12 (C6add9),
Sierra Laptop 8 (D13), Fender Stringmaster (E13, A6),
Roland Handsonic, Line 6 Variax
Lawrence Sullivan

Granite City, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2003 4:50 pm    

I would really like to see those photos of the St Louis Convention, if you would be so kind as to send them. My wife and I were there Sat and Sun and really enjoyed it, as first timers.
I'm the one siting in the back of the smoking section that has all the big knots on his head from an attitude adjustment administered by my wife for buying a steel guitar that I know as much about playing as I do flying a jet plane.
Thanks Larry N9LS@YAHOO.COM
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2003 6:37 pm    

Thanks, everyone!

RR