| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  scanner question
Ken Williams

Arkansas
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2003 9:05 pm    

I bought a Umax Astra 2000p scanner about 5 years ago. Used it a few times when I first got it but haven't used it in years. Now, I tried to scan a picture and I get colored lines on the image. What am I doing wrong? Or, is there something out of adjustment with the scanner? The glass is clean.

Ken
Donna Dodd

Acworth, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2003 12:37 am    

Ken, are your lines on the printed image, or on the image as you view it on your monitor?
Michael Haselman

St. Paul
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2003 5:15 am    

I'm having exactly the same problem. I'm getting yellow lines on the monitor image. I haven't printed anything. I was thinking maybe a new bulb was in order.

------------------
Marrs D-10, Webb 6-14E
Ken Williams

Arkansas
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2003 11:07 am    

Donna, haven't tried to print because my printer is out of ink, gotta get to Wal Mart. I was just trying to scan and save for future use.

Ken
Roger Kelly

Bristol,Tennessee
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2003 2:56 pm    

Ken , it may be your software drivers causing the problem. If you haven't used the scanner in 5 years, you may need to do a re-install of your software? If you have up-graded to Win-XP Home or another operating system, that might be your problem?
Ken Williams

Arkansas
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2003 5:15 pm    

Roger, About a year ago, I got a new computer with windows xp,home edition. When I tried to use the scanner the other day, it would not work. I may not have installed that part of the software when I got the new computer. Anyway, I reinstalled it before I started trying to scan. That's when I encountered the yellow and green lines. Still have not replaced the ink cartridge, so I'm not sure if it will print with the lines. If it is caused by Windows XP, is there a fix?

Thanks,
Ken
Delbert Barker Sr

Franklin, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2003 3:40 am    

Ken;
I did the same thing, I updated to Win XP amd I have Umax Astra 2000U and mine would install. I checked the Umax website and found that i have to order a driver. All the other models have drivers that can be downloaded free (not this one) I have decided to go with a new scanner and it will not be a Umax
Delbert Barker Sr

Franklin, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2003 3:41 am    

Ken:
I meant to say my Umax would not install. I bought a new computor and it had Windows XP on it.
Roger Kelly

Bristol,Tennessee
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2003 3:42 am    

Ken, try going to your scanner's website and see if there is a driver up-date for you to download. If so, download and install, then try installing your scanner software again....if that doesn't do it you may have to update your scanner. I had the same problem last year, when I went from windows 95 to XP-Home, big jump!.......my printer and scanner does work, but not like they did with Win-95. I'm eventually going to get a new printer/scanner that is compatable with Win.XP. Hopes this gives you some instght as to what may be happening.
Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2003 4:50 am    

I also had to replace my scanner and printer when I purchased XP Home.

I found some "possible fixes" to enable use of my old scanner and printer, but it was not recommended or guaranteed so I didn't attempt it.
www.genejones.com
Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2003 5:20 am    

My multifunction Canon C530 worked well and allowed my Windows 2000 system to go in and out of standby, but causes my new Windows XP computer to freeze when trying to come out of standby. It still works but I had to disable standby.

This is with Canon's XP drivers, which are not digitally signed by Microsoft. Canon's tech support says the printer itself is not compatible with XP's standby.