| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Help Possible Virus
steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2002 5:13 am    

ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED. When I tried to use Netscape Messenger today I got this messge: "Netscape caused an invalid page fault in module Netscape.exe at 0050d405". It also lists a number of registers, bytes, and stack dump infomation. I started up the computer several times but continue get this message and can't get into my email. I used to have the McAfee virus detection icon which now does not appear. Also when I go into "systems tools" to start the McAfee program I get his message: "The drive or network connection for McAfee is unavailable" Could anyone venture a guess as to what the problem is and how I can get rid of it? Could this be the W32.klez virus I've read about here? THANKS, Steve
Mark Ardito

Chicago, IL, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2002 6:13 am    

Steve,

Can you open McAfee at all? Try going through the start menu to get to it. When you get there, do a update (you will have to be connected to the internet). Install the latest DAT file and then do a FULL system scan. Let me know what you find. Sounds kind of fishy...

Mark
steve takacs

Post  Posted 27 Jul 2002 6:33 am    

Mark, thanks for tuning in. I go to Start Menu, to 'accessories' to 'systems tools' then to McAfee Virus Scan. This lists 10 things related to McAfee, one of which is also called 'McAfee Virus Scan'. There is nothing which says "FULL system scan". When I click on 'McAfee Virus Scan' I get this messge:
"drive or nework connection that shortcut "McAfee VirusScan.Ink refers to is unavailable. Make sure disk is inserted properly or network resource is available and try again." My internet connection is open. Mark, What is a DAT file? Also, would it help for me to donwload another Virus protection program at this point and if so which? Thanks for taking time to help out.
Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2002 7:53 am    

Quote:
shortcut "McAfee VirusScan.Ink
The shortcut should be shortcut "McAfee VirusScan.lnk". You probably just made a typo, but I've seen weird things like that happen to systems. See if you can right click on the shortcut and see where it's actually pointing. Fix it if it's wrong, or use Windows Explorer to go to the folder and run it from there.
Mark Ardito

Chicago, IL, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2002 10:05 am    

Steve,

You can also go to (probably) c:\program files\McAfee\vscan.exe

The application that opens should look like a console. There is a update button on the console. If not, go to McAfee and select the updates for the version you have.

Mark
Everett Cox

Marengo, OH, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2002 8:06 pm    

Steve--

http://housecall.antivirus.com/pc_housecall/

will get you PC-Cillin's free on-line virus scan. It will take a few minutes to download required files to your machine, though. If I remember correctly, the process is completely automatic and leaves none of the d/l files after the scan. I prefer Pccillin to nearly all the other commercial products.

Your situation does not sound like Klez to me. As Jim suggested, Right-click the shortcut(s) and then Left-click 'properties' to see the application path. What drive is indicated? If you had Netscape or other app's installed on other than drive C: and have changed the configuration of your machine, that might account for the problem. Changing the number of either physical or 'logical' drives (partitions) can change the designation previously assigned to a particular drive/partition. Are you having problems with other app's also? --Everett
Oldpicker

Weatherford Ok, USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2002 2:06 pm    

Some Virus's disable your virus scan progam, also virus scans must be updated regularly to be effective as each new virus must be removed differently. That said, if you computer will run at all go to www.grisoft.com and download and install the free version, then run a complete scan following all instructions. This program can
be updated automatically so it will keep virus's off you machine...
steve takacs

Post  Posted 3 Aug 2002 9:27 am    

Guys, thanks for sharing this information and making me more aware of how my computer works. With the help of my nephewChris, we were able to eliminate the problem. Firstly the Virus probgram was somehow deleted so that was downlaoded again. Then he installed a more recent Netscape program from a CD. The problem persisted so he took out all the old mail files, rebooted, and successively put them back in (exs: first the Inbox files , then Sent files, etc.) After replacing all the files and rebooting, the Netscape Messenger worked fine again. He thought it might have been an "organizational problem" Netscape was encountering, similar,perhaps, to what Everett suggested. For me it was an in depth lesson in problem solving and computer basics. Chris also added more RAM so I got to know the insides of the computer better than ever before. I ended up with three pages of notes (backs and fronts) to capture this lesson. Again, thanks all of you who took the time to respond.