| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  56K Modem?
Roger Shackelton

MINNESOTA (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2002 6:24 pm    

I had a 56K modem installed about 1-1/2 yrs ago in my Pentium 1 computer,(Windows 95)

I recently had some photos put on Kodak Photo disks. When I downloaded the photos to send out by E-Mail, the download speed was indicated at 28,800. Is this typical?

Does the 56K modem have anything to do with the download speed?

Roger
Lem Smith

Long Beach, MS
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2002 11:11 pm    

Roger, depending on line conditions, and other variables as well, it's not uncommon for a 56K modem to only connect at 28.8, or even slower. You refer to your "download" speed, but I suspect you really mean the "upload" speed, as you are uploading to the net when sending e-mail. Upload speeds are often lower than download speeds.

I've got a 56k modem on my computer, and I've NEVER connected at 56k. If I get in the upper 40's I'm doing good.

So in answer to your question, about does the 56k modem have anything to do with download speed, the answer is yes, but also the other things, line noise, etc... also play a large part in it.

Lem
erik

Post  Posted 23 Jul 2002 1:31 pm    

I almost always connect at 50 or above. However, that doesn't mean much when you actually measure your speed. I posted a site on here a while back that does this. My download speed will fluctuate from about 23 to 38.