| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Powertracks Pro - how to change key ?
mickd

london,england
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2002 1:07 pm    

I bet this is a daft question, but here goes
1) I download a midi from some WWW site
2) I load it into Powertracks Pro
3) I want to play along on PSG, but the midi is in the wrong key so I double click on the 'key' box & change the key
5) I rewind & hit play
6) its still in the old key !
What have I done wrong ?
Jim Phelps

Mexico City, Mexico
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2002 1:42 pm    

I don't know Powertracks so I'm just guessing, but maybe you have to select in some way the track, like maybe click on it somewhere before you do the key change? You know, similar like doing a font change to something you've already typed up, if you don't highlight to select the text, when you change fonts nothing happens?
Russ Wever

Kansas City
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2002 7:12 pm    

mickd,
Transposing in Power Tracks is an 'edit' function: Drop down the 'Edit' menu - click on 'Pitch Transpose Midi Music' - then 'fill in the blanks' accordingly in the Pitch Transpose window that appears.
I don't recall that it transposes globally, so that you'll have to transpose each track individually.
I believe the 'Key Box' that you refer to is for you to set the key so that the key signature is set and that accidentals are notated properly on the notation staves.
If in doubt consult the on board help menu and enter 'transpose' in the search field and/or visit the Power Tracks forum at www.pgmusic.com/ubb
~ Russ
Gary Pederson

Van Nuys, Ca.
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2002 7:26 pm    

Try going to Edit/Pitch Transpose & entering number(+ or -) of semi-tones into value field.
Ben Wittke

Post  Posted 10 Feb 2002 8:36 pm    

Just double click on the Key Signature and a menu will drop down asking for a new key.
Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2002 3:14 pm    

Actually, I think that changing the key signature just changes the written music. It doesn't change the pitches. If you changed a song from C to G, all of your F notes would be written with naturals.

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs
Sierra Session 12 (E9), Williams 400X (Emaj9, D6), Sierra Olympic 12 (F Diatonic) Sierra Laptop 8 (D13), Fender Stringmaster (E13, A6)
mickd

london,england
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2002 12:23 pm    

Thanks everyone.
The help entry for 'pitch transpose' says it only works on the selected notes of the selected track - but there doesnt seem to be an option to 'select all', so doing a key change seems to be very awkward. You'd think there would be an easy way of doing this as it must surely be something that people do a lot ?
Gary Pederson

Van Nuys, Ca.
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2002 8:13 pm    

I'm using Version 3.5E. In this version Pitch transpose will transpose all selected tracks. I can select multiple tracks by going to the track window & holding down the shift key while selecting tracks. For me, the entire selected track(s) get transposed. According to my Help, I need to use the data filter in order to transpose less then the entire track(s).
Since you can save the transposed file, you shouldn't have to go thru this more then once per tune per key change.
Jim Baron

Madera, Ca.
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2002 8:07 am    

To move the whole song up or down, just use the "edit" > "transpose pitch" function. Mark [select] all the tracks EXCEPT the drum tracks befor doing the transpose, and it will work great. Moving very far will change the bass lines out of their 'better' range but most instruments can handle it. The reason not to transpose the drums is it will change the selection of drum componets, like snare to tom and so forth.
mickd

london,england
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2002 11:22 am    

thanks everyone.
I now have the hang of it