| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  David Keli'i, and why so few recordings
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2004 10:56 am    

According to his widow, David never was paid a cent during his many years of service ('35 to '52) on the 'Hawaii Calls' show, and this turned him against ever recording again. Was this standard for all performers on this show?

Fortunately, he did play on a few LPs after returning to Hawai'i in '72, by Kealoha Kalama, Sonny Chillingsworth, and Joe Keawe's solo effort, as well as his own LP produced by Jerry Byrd for the Sweet Steel Guitar series.

We lost him in '83.
Jack Byrd

Kalamazoo, Michigan
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2004 11:20 am    

Ron,

I do know that David was very leary of ever recording because he was taken advantage of by record companies. The LP that Jerry produced for David was one in case. He did not want to do it. Jerry took it upon himself to do all the work with the label, make all the arragements and scheduling and so forth. If I have this right, I believe it was this LP the chief poo bah wanted him to record a waltz. Jerry asked him if he could do that. He said yeah sure. When they were about done recording he hadn't done the waltz yet. The chief honco asked Jerry when he was going to do the waltz. Jerry went out to talk to David about it and he said I don't like them and I am not doing it. That was the end of that.

It took quite a bit of convincing by Jerry to get David to do the LP. I guess what got to David was when Jerry told him he should do it for his family if no else so that they would have at least this LP as his legacy which they would have forever. Of course that also applies to all of David's fans. So it got done and I think it was the last one he ever did.

[This message was edited by Jack Byrd on 22 November 2004 at 11:22 AM.]

Rick Aiello

Berryville, VA USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2004 3:54 pm    

Never fear ... Bruce Clarke is "On the Job".

Here are two full CDs feauturing David K. at his finest ...

Al Kealoha Perry 2-Pak

------------------

Aiello's House of Gauss

My wife and I don't think alike. She donates money to the homeless and I donate money to the topless! ... R. Dangerfield

[This message was edited by Rick Aiello on 22 November 2004 at 03:56 PM.]

Dan Sawyer

Studio City, California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2004 8:07 pm    

I find it very hard to believe that a musician would work every week for 17 years and not get paid a penny!! Somebody's been smoking the Maui Wowie again.
Roger Shackelton

MINNESOTA (deceased)
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2004 12:30 am    

"Hawaii Calls" was a 30 minute or 1 hour weekly radio show in Honolulu. The musicians had day jobs to support their families.

Roger
c c johnson

killeen,tx usa * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2004 3:56 am    

David lived close to Kaneohe and to come all the way to Honolulu for every ehearsal usually 3 a week. This was no easy feat in those days. This was told to me by David when he was playing with Eddy Kekaula on the street across from the Royal Hawaiian.
George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2004 8:26 am    

Hawai'i Calls was usually a thirty minute program. For a number of years it was sponsored by the Hawaiian Tourist Bureau. Whether or not the performers were paid during the Webley Edwards era, I cannot say, but it stands to reason they must have received some renumeration during all those many years. I'm sure the AFM would have taken notice were it otherwise. The performers did gain world-wide fame for whatever that might have been worth. Of course, you cannot eat "fame". From what I have learned of the final days of Hawai'i Calls, (mid-eighties), the show ended up in severe financial straits and went off the air simply because costs could not be met, including those of the performers.
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2004 3:22 pm    

Jack, thanx for 'the rest of the story'. I knew that Jerry put a lot of effort and interest into David's getting that LP done, but was not aware of the 'waltz' issue. Good for David, ...but I'd love to hear that waltz.

CC, or any of you lucky to have seen him play, if you could please illucidate on your David Keli'i moments. I'm fortunate to have been at his Honolulu/McCoy Pavillion performance in '80(?), but feel he has never gotten the mention or recognition he deserved. I'd sure like to hear some more eye witness accounts, and of other things he had to say.

Sad that possibly the finest Hawaiian steel player had such a bumpy career in his profession. But if you look hard enuf, there is a substantial amount of his awesome playing to be heard, altho most is not commercially available.

Thanx for the Cumquat link, Prof. Rick. Bruce is terrific.
Rick Aiello

Berryville, VA USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2004 3:47 pm    

"My Isle of Golden Dreams" is a waltz ... and its on the LP ????

[This message was edited by Rick Aiello on 23 November 2004 at 04:02 PM.]

c c johnson

killeen,tx usa * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2004 4:02 pm    

Ron my dad was a tech rep at pearl prior to the war and I spent a good part of my time badgering David, Jake Kalikikoa, and any other steeel player that would put up with me. All these guys were very kind and helpful to 10 or 11 yr old.David would play everything pretty. I asked him as I was trying to play Honolulu march, how can you make it so pretty. He said slow kid. I said how can Honolulu March be played slow. You don't. David said make it SOUND slow and it will be pretty.This was the same thinking of Dick McIntyre and later Jerry Byrd said the same. CC
a
Jeff Au Hoy

Honolulu, Hawai'i
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2004 4:20 pm    

Last edited by Jeff Au Hoy on 13 Sep 2019 3:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2004 4:34 pm    

Them's words to live by, CC, thanx for sharing, you had/have fabulous taste! Every time I loose the feel of a tune/idea, I go back to the slow rule. I'm stunned just dreaming of having the chance like you did to sit with these Hawaiian greats and learn steel, and about life thru their ways. You know you are a fortunate man, CC.

Talk about under heard/appreciated steel greats?! Jake has GOT to be around the top of that list, with virtually no 'officially' recorded output, unless someone can correct me (please correct me!). He's been gone a long time now and almost totally forgotten, like so many.
Warren Slavin

Southampton, PA, 18966. USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2004 12:22 pm    

According to Bob Waters, the Hawaii calls group got five dollars each for the show which including one or two practice sessions. That was the musicians -- I don't know about the singers. Also, back in 1986 when Sol Bright was in Winchester, (Aloha Club), he commented that when they were on the road, they were paid haircut and cigarette money.]

Also, I'm sure you all have the Akoni Lani album which was really David on Steel -- very good. He took an assumed name as he didn't want Webley or Al Perry to find out -- Danny Stewart is on the flip side. He also made an album with Eddie Kekaula.

Warren

------------------
Warren Slavin

Post  Posted 24 Nov 2004 12:32 pm    

Also -- I forgot there are the Jimmy Papa backyard recording tapes with Al Kealoha. Jerry discovered them and had them cut and packaged about twenty years ago -- very good.
George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2004 2:27 pm    

Hmmmmm...Warren says they were paid $5.00 ... Let's see now, by todays inflationary rate that might be something like $50.00 per show ?
Warren Slavin

Post  Posted 24 Nov 2004 8:01 pm    

Continuing the "talk story", also in 1986 and talking with Sol Bright, he mentioned that he was with a troupe, including David, in Salt Lake City when there was a power failure (electrical storm) and all the lights went out but they kept playing by latern or battery except David could not play his steel -- David never sang, played uke, guitar or bass. There was no acoustic guitar available so David sat there.

Keoki, why don't you tell the forum about your experience in the Edmonton music store with the Hawaiian troupe coming through your area.

Warren

------------------
George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2004 8:27 pm    

OK, Warren...Back in 1954 (thereabouts) I was working in what was then Edmonton's largest music store. We had an enormous stock of guitars, etc. One day, 4 "tanned" gentlemen came through the door and in my curiosity I asked where they were from. They replied "Hawai'i" ...wow! I had never seen a real Hawaiian until that moment and here were 4 of them ! So I asked one of them, "What ever became of the great David Keli'i who used to play on Hawai'i Calls?"
The chap replied, "He's standing right behind you!" Man, I could have died on the spot...there was my 'hero' standing behind me. Being a bit of a skeptic, I asked 'David' if he would play a few notes on one of the Magnatones which were on display. He willingly obliged and I immediately recognized the sound...it was indeed DAVID !!! Anyway, they were in town for 2 nites playing a private club gig. They invited my wife and I to attend the show which was not open to the public. I wish I could remember the names of all four, however Sol K. Bright was one of them. That evening, Sol rode his "horse" around the floor of the club to "Hawaiian Cowboy". This "horse" was similar to a toy horse, but was custom made for Sol. David was playing a Ric 6 string frypan. Anyway, somewhere along the way a year or so later, Sol's horse was stolen. In 1986 while attending the Winchester Convention, I made mention to Sol about the gig here in Edmonton which he fondly recalled. I also mentioned I took a pic of him riding that horse and waving his cowboy hat. It was then he told me the horse had been stolen and he didn't have any pictures of it. When I got home, I had an 8 x 10 made and sent it to him in Hawai'i. Sol and I became close friends up until he died. He would come over to our condo and we would jam the afternoon away many times. Oh, I should also mention that Hilo Hattie was here in Edmonton with the group. They came up from Las Vegas at the time.
c c johnson

killeen,tx usa * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2004 6:21 am    

about a yr after Davids death I was visiting a friend, David KAILII, in Wainae and the talk about KELII among us and others was really going. Dave mentioned that David's widow lived in Wainae and played pretty steel. We walked about two blocks from the marina to her home but she wasn't there. I did not get a chance to go back but my friend Dave sent me a tape of her jamming with him and others at the marina in Wainae about two weeks after I left. She sounded great. Dave still could not fing 2nd C on his ukelele. CC

Todd Weger

Safety Harbor, FLAUSA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2004 7:44 am    

quote:
Lei No Ka'iulani and Whispering Lullaby... both waltzes, also on the album.
You know... 1, 2, 3... 4, 1, 2... 3, 4, 1... 2, 3, 4...

Holy Hemiolas, Batman!

------------------
Todd James Weger/RD/RTD
1956 Fender Stringmaster T-8 (C6, E13, B11); 1960 Fender Stringmaster D-8 (C6, E13); Melobar SLS lapsteel (open D); Chandler RH-4 Koa semi-hollow lapsteel (open G); Regal resonator (open D or G)