| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Picture This...
Bob Stone

Gainesville, FL, USA
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2004 5:04 am    

Six of my black and white photos of the sacred steel community are included in "A Shared Legacy: Documentary Photography in Florida from the 1930s to Today." The show is currently at the Thomas Center Gallery in Gainesville, FL and will be at the Museum of Florida History in Tallahassee March 1-May 29, 2005.

A most worthwhile exhibit that includes work by legends like Gordon Parks, Dorothea Lange and Marion Post Wolcott. It's a real privilege to have my work even in the same building.

Hope some of you Florida folks can get to see it.

Here's a link to a news article:
http://www.gainesville.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20041117/LIVING/41116048/1015/ living

Bob

[This message was edited by Bob Stone on 17 November 2004 at 05:05 AM.]

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2004 8:28 am    

What an honor. Congratulations, Bob!

------------------
Brad's Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars

Loni Specter

West Hills, CA, USA
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2004 9:40 am    

From one photographer to another, that's some heavy company your keeping! Congratulations. Wouldn't mind seeing some of your pics sometime. How about poping a couple favoriyes on the forum?
Bob Stone

Gainesville, FL, USA
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2004 10:57 am    

Thanks guys. Just having work in the same building--let alone in the same exhibit--with works by these legendary photographers is very exciting for all 12 of us contemporary FL documentary photographers represented in the exhibit.

Loni, there is one of my photos--a personal favorite--in the Gainesville Sun article linked above.

I'm not presently set up with a web site to host photos, but will do so in the near future.

Thanks again.

Ian McLatchie

Sechelt, British Columbia
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2004 3:12 am    

Hey, Bob, congratulations - sounds like a wonderful exhibit. For those lucky enough to be in Gainesville or Tallahassee to catch the show, will prints of any of your photos be available for sale?

By the way, that photo of Willie and the Campbells is absolutely one of my favorites, too. There's a real Marion Post Wolcott feel to this one.
Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2004 3:22 am    

Congratulations, Bob! A well-deserved honor.
Ron Bednar

Rancho Cordova, California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2004 11:19 am    

Wow Bob! Wish we could see that exhibit. Congratulations, that's a fine achievement to be included in a show like that!
Bob Stone

Gainesville, FL, USA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2004 6:03 am    

Thanks for all the kind words guys. It's been my good fortune to document this tradition and I'm really enjoying it.

The shot is one of my personal favorites. Willie Eason is very photogenic and highly animated. In the moment pictured he is regaling the Campbells (Darick was sleeping in) after breakfast and before church with tales from his colorful past. The Campbells were getting some real "inside" stories while recording Willie, but unfortunately accidently erased the recording. Willie now has Alzheimer's, which makes the photo even more special. He's doing okay (b.1921), but his mind is not what it used to be.

I can sell nice hand-made 8X10 or 11X14 archival prints of any of my photos. I hope to get a few scans (and other images, audio, etc.) on the Website of my non-profit, Florida Cultural Resources, Inc., sometime fairly soon.

By the way, the Feb issue of Living Blues will feature a major Sacred Steel theme.

Best regards,

Bob

[This message was edited by Bob Stone on 27 November 2004 at 06:04 AM.]