| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  if you just had one tunning
Bill Brown

Canadian, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2004 5:09 pm    

hello i know i am going to get a million answers but if you had only one neck what tunning would be best to play about every thing you would run in to i dont mean what you like but what would do the job of playing what you would need for all around playing tell me
Bill Bosler

Schwenksville, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2004 5:43 pm    

8 string A6th with a B on the 1st string. Bottom to top F# A C# E F# A C# B. The B gives me a 2 to help fill out the scale. If I play strings 1-4-5, or 1-2-4, I get a sus chord which sounds really cool.
Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2004 6:12 pm    

Without a doubt the 8 string Joaquin Murphey C6/A9 tuning. Hi to Low: B,G,E,C,A,G,E,C# The B string is out of place like the chromatic strings on a pedal E9.Pitchwise,it belongs between the C and A strings.Murph put it at the bottom as the 8th string and that has advantages but I like it better as string #1. You can play more music with this tuning than any other single fixed tuning. After Murph died it was my intent to champion his tuning to others but I realized I could only do that properly if I could play it myself. It took me about a year of woodshedding before I started to develop any musical instincts on it but there's a tremendous amount of stuff hiding in there. I urge people to check it out at length. I have it on my Stringmasters and I tune it down a half a step to B6/Ab9 so it will line up positionwise with my E9/B6 pedal guitar and that adds a little balls to it as well - in fact taking it down to A6/F#9 would add even more. -MJ-
John Bechtel

Nashville, Tennessee, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2004 7:29 pm    

If I had only one 8or 7-str. neck to play on it would have to be the C-Dia. tuning!

------------------
“Big John” Bechtel
’49/’50 Fender T–8 Custom [X2]
’65 Re-issue Fender Twin-Reverb Custom™ 15”
click here click here
Rick Alexander

Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2004 1:21 am    

C6/A7 with A and E on the bottom - You can get a lot of stuff with this tuning including Augmented 9th chords - low to high is E A C# E G A C E

- and I know you said just one tuning, but by simply lowering the C# to C and raising the low E to F you get that cool C6/FM7 tuning with the big major 7th - low to high is F A C E G A C E

or by raising the low E to F#, lowering the G to F# and raising the C to C# you get that A6 tuning that works so well on so many songs - F# A C# E F# A C# E.

But I sure would miss my other 2 necks - one with E7th tuning E G# B D E G# B E, and one with C6 tuning A C E G A C E G

If I HAD to play only one set tuning, it would be the first one.

------------------
Rick Alexander
57 Fender Stringmaster T8, 57 Fender Champ, Remington Steelmaster D8, 47 National New Yorker - Music Man and Peavey Amps . .

[This message was edited by Rick Alexander on 24 November 2004 at 01:23 AM.]

Todd Weger

Safety Harbor, FLAUSA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2004 4:15 am    

Well, if it's just one tuning, and I wasn't allowed to change it, I'd probably opt for a straight A6 with a high E 5th on top (E-C#-A-F#-E-C#-A-F#). This gives me an extra minor third of range over C6, and I can get pretty much all the chords, or at least chord fragments, that I need with slants and relative positioning.

But, if it's one neck, with one tuning I can manipulate, hmmmmmmm... I'd probably still opt for the A6.

Since I play primarily Hawaiian on it, I can retune for C6 or B11 quite easily when needed, and cover all the tunes we do. If I want a more bluesy sound, I'll just tune the F# up to G for the seventh, and it works quite nicely, since a majority of that stuff tends to fall into A, E or G. For me, and what I do, A6 is ptetty much my "one-neck-fits-all" tuning.

Of course, ask this question in a year, and I'm sure to have another entirely different answer!

Happy Thanksgiving!
TJW

------------------
Todd James Weger/RD/RTD
1956 Fender Stringmaster T-8 (C6, E13, B11); 1960 Fender Stringmaster D-8 (C6, E13); Melobar SLS lapsteel (open D); Chandler RH-4 Koa semi-hollow lapsteel (open G); Regal resonator (open D or G)