| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Peavey Valve King 112
Dennis Stambaugh

New Oxford,Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2006 4:13 am    

Hey has anyone tried this amp for steel guitar and if so what is your take on it.
Denny
Randy Sevearance

Crouse, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2006 7:22 am    

dennis this is my primary amp now for small places I like it for its size and weight and pretty straight forward settings distortion with just a button pushed and plenty load to I use a lbanez delay only. I realy like it the speaker is not voiced for steel but I think it sounds good a couple of steelers have them around here now
Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2006 9:13 am    

Thanks for trying our products!
Roger Francis

kokomo,Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2006 9:37 am    

I talked my brother in to 2 of them for his Strat so he could split up his Effects and have enough volume to play in his band, the jury is still out cause i have'nt talked to him sinse he got his second one. For steel guitar, i've only heard it on the vidio on Bobbe's site and from that i would stick to my 112s.
Chris LeDrew

Canada
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2006 11:57 pm    

I've got a 112 Valveking at home here now on approval, trying to dial in a steel tone with my '76 Pro 1. I don't think it's going to happen without an outboard EQ. I tried it with a Boss GE7, and it's decent. But alone, no dice for pedal steel....IMHO.

Telecaster? Deadly. Sho~Bud full-out at a gig? Not a chance, without some EQ.
Larry Weaver

Asheville, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2006 7:42 am    

I just bought one of the Valve King 100 heads, and I'm liking it a lot. I use it when I need more clean headroom than I can get with my THD Bivalve. It sounds pretty sweet running through my 2x12 THD cabinet, and I find that it takes pedals very nicely. I found the high gain channel to be pretty much useless for all those but perhaps the dual rectifier crowd, so I run the head strictly on the clean side. I hadn't tried the 2x12 combo, but I did check out the 112, and found that to be a bit thin for my tastes. IMHO, the ValveKing head and a nice 2x12 cabinet is a real winner for gigs needing lots of clean headroom. The one problem I've noted, and a number of other owners as well, is a terrible buzz if the reverb is turned up too high. Non issue for me, as I use a Holy Grail.

-LarryW

[This message was edited by Larry Weaver on 24 December 2006 at 07:43 AM.]

Chris LeDrew

Canada
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2006 8:18 am    

The reverb in the 112 Valveking, to my ear, is generally unsuitable for any applications. I'd go without reverb before I'd engage it. I don't want to knock this product, I'm just being honest for the sake of others who are curious about this amp for steel. I really want this 112 combo to work for steel, because of the tube warmth. But I'm afraid I'll have to keep looking. At home, I can dial in something usable, but it takes a bit of time - which is of the essence on a stage. I may go with a Twin Reverb Custom 15" and put this search to rest once and for all. I still have my trusty Session 400, but the speaker needs a reconing and I'm looking for something to use in the meantime (the perfect excuse to get a second amp. )
ArtPalazzini

Torrington , Ct. Litchfield
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2006 6:44 am    

Just got my VK112 and still trying to dial it in for steel. Yes, an outboard EQ will be needed (Boss RV3) in my case, but I am havig difficulty keeping a clean tone even tho I follow the manual. Especially playing above the 12 fret. I bought this amp because due med. problems, I cant lift my 1000 to load or unload the car etc... . Guess I'll have experiment with it longer or maybe get some settings from guys using this amp.