| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  which tubes for classic 30 and Sho~Bud amps
John Jeffries

New Brunswick, Canada
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2006 5:08 am    

I have a Peavey classic 30 amp with a Celestion vintage 30 speaker which I use for pedal steel - Carter-Starter - and electric guitar - older "tele" style (made in USA) Peavey Reactor AXE with Kinman "Vintage Broadcaster" pick-ups. I play traditional country and prefer "clean" sound. I also have an old Sho-Bud "Christmas tree" style steel amp with the stock JBL speaker. It's a great rig, but is heavy and a bit noisy.
I want to replace the tubes in both amps, and I'm looking for some advice as to which is best. I am considering JJ/telsa or Tung-sol tubes, (based mostly on what I have read on the internet). I have been playing for years, but am just getting into this "tube up-grade" subject. Any info/advice would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers...John Jeffries
Kevin Ruddell

Toledo Ohio USA
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2006 11:29 am    

The JJ/Tesla EL84 power tubes are an excellent match for my Classic 30's . The Electro Harmonix tubes have a bit of a grindy tone that is probably just right for six string electric guitar but too rocky for steel . The JJ/Tesla 12AX7's sound very good for steel in the Classic 30; but not great . The GE NOS 5751 tubes are lower gain and smoother in my Classic 30's and sound really good for steel and their higher output pickups. I don't ever use overdrive or boost functions on the amps. The Tung Sol 12AX7's I recently tried are probably great for regular guitar but too piercing in the upper register for steel guitar tone for me . The only problem is I haven't gigged out on steel yet so that could change how the amp sounds greatly in other rooms and full band situations. I haven't tried the 2 new models of JJ Tesla 12AX7 tubes that came out this year , or the Sovtek 12AX7 LPS tube . I have one of the Sovtek 5751's and it works pretty good , but not great. It's higher gain than the GE NOS 5751 but definitely not as smooth
Chick Donner

North Ridgeville, OH USA
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2006 12:36 pm    

Good luck changing the tubew in the Christmas Tree amp. . . it's solid state.
John Bechtel

Nashville, Tennessee, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2006 9:25 pm    

It probably has a lot to do with where, when and what time you're going to be somewhere other than where you are now! I'd use just what the lable calls for!

------------------
“Big John”
a.k.a. {Keoni Nui}
Current Equipment