| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Peavey Question
Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2006 10:08 pm    

What is the difference between a Nashville 112 and a Bandit 112?
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2006 2:07 am    

The Nashville 112 is made for steel, the Bandit 112 is made for "lead" guitar. Different "voiced" speakers and different preamp.
Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2006 9:45 am    

I just replied to an e-mail this morning and here is what I wrote;
#1-The equalization circuit of the Nashville allows the player to fine tune that critical midrange frequency section that eliminates the "honkiness" when using steel guitar.
#2-The damping factor of the Nashville is different than that of a six string guitar. Damping factor is described as how fast the power amp reacts to the movement of the speaker. As you know, the steel guitar frequency range is from extreme high to the extreme low so this particular specification is very important for steel guitar applications.
#3-The Blue Marvel speaker in the Bandit is "voiced" for six string electric guitar and the Blue Marvel speaker in the Nashville amp if voiced for the wider range of a steel guitar.

Now, any amplifier will work but with our 30 years plus experience in designing steel guitar amps, we have learned what characteristics that a steel guitar player prefers.

Mike Brown
Peavey USA
Curt Langston

Post  Posted 28 Sep 2006 6:57 pm    

It has been my experience that steel players will want to "cut" the 800Hz Freq by at least one third. For instance, I like my mid set at the -6 position and the "Freq shift" set at 800Hz. Which means that I am cutting out the 800Hz Freq significantly. That Freq is where many steel players claim the "honk" comes from. This is true for all Peavey amps that have the separate "mid" and "shift" controls.

IMHO of course.

[This message was edited by Curt Langston on 28 September 2006 at 07:59 PM.]

Al Terhune

Newcastle, WA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2006 8:10 pm    

On my 112, I've got the mid set to about -9.5 or -10. At one point I had it turned all the way off (I think Johnny Cox had first suggested that).

I've often thought about the difference between the two--and other Peavey 112's. I'm actually thinking about getting a 110 (one of the new Auditions)for mike recording at lower levels -- and because I like amps, and sometimes I need to be more quiet for my wife while I'm fartin' around in my "studio."

Al
Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2006 9:01 am    

I asked this question for a Forum member who was having computer problems. Please reply to this post instead of emailing me, so that everyone who's interested in the subject can benefit from your response. Thanks.

------------------
Bobby Lee (a.k.a. b0b) - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs, Open Hearts
Williams D-12 E9, C6add9, Sierra Olympic S-12 (F Diatonic)
Sierra Laptop S-8 (E6add9), Fender Stringmaster D-8 (E13, C6 or A6) My Blog