| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Wall Warts Under Attack....
Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2006 11:41 am    

From the Wall Street Journal June 14, 2006
PORTALS, By LEE GOMES

Prodded by Consumers, The Computer Industry
Slowly Grows Greener

June 14, 2006; Page B1

-------SNIP---------------------

Another big power drain on its way to being plugged involves the DC adapters that charge portable electronic devices like cellphones, music players and palm-style computing devices, as well as desktop accessories like printers and scanners.

These big black bricks -- affectionately called "wall warts" -- have long been a kind of secret energy tax for homes and businesses. As long as they are plugged in, they draw current -- often as much as 10 watts, even if the device they come with is unattached. They are cousins to the growing number of "always on" products, like the microwave oven that uses energy to display the time.

Alan Meier, an energy analyst with the International Energy Agency, says a typical U.S. home has as many as 100 of these gadgets. The problem was first highlighted in the 1990s, long enough ago for something to have been done about it.

Recently, though, California adopted a regulation that will, over the next two years, ban most devices that draw more than one watt of "standby power." A number of countries have followed the state's lead -- enough, Mr. Meier says, to force manufacturers to move to the new standard no matter where they sell their products.

------------SNIP----------------------

[This message was edited by Ray Minich on 14 June 2006 at 12:42 PM.]

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2006 7:43 am    

I can remember the same argument about "Telechron" (electric) clocks many decades ago. There were some folks that said that they put a ton of money in the electric company's pocket. Everyone had 4 or 5 electric clocks running 24/7/365. Even with a current draw of only 5 watts each, the amount of money they made for the electric companies was staggering, when multiplied over 20 or 30 years.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2006 9:27 am    

That's one of the hardest things to get across to many people. They think that if the device, with a "wall wart", is not turned on that it's not drawing any current. But the "wall wart" doesn't actually have an on/off switch and as long as it's plugged into a live AC outlet it's "on".
Colm Chomicky

Kansas, (Prairie Village)
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2006 9:31 am    

That reminds me of my Hilton pedal's instruction pamplet. If you read the instructions, Keith tells you that after you are done playing, don't leave the wall wart plugged in. It does not cause any equipment damage other than to consume a little power. Sounds like good advice to me.
Chip Fossa

Monson, MA, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2006 12:24 pm    

I plug all my equipment wal-warts into your basic 5-8 plug fused corded extensions, with the ON/OFF switch. I never bothered fussing with those wal-warts before, but now, I imagine leaving them plugged in and pulling power can only hasten their life span, I make sure they won't be drawing any current.
One less penny to the utilities = one penny more in my pocket.
Jim Bob Sedgwick

Clinton, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2006 12:32 pm    

I must be missing something here. If the strip is turned off (no power going to the strip), then how can the Wall Wart draw any electricity? Just Curious.
Smiley Roberts

Hendersonville,Tn. 37075
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2006 1:26 pm    

I HATE "wall-warts". That's the main complaint I have about my PV "ProFex II". The original "ProFex I" was hard-wired A.C. The "TubeFex" & the "TransTubeFex" were,both,hard-wired A.C. In an emergency,where in hell,are ya gonna find a 16 volt,A.C. wall-wart?? I have an old piece of Electro-Harmonix equipment that requires an 18 vdc 100mA power unit. Think I can find a replacement?? Not on your life! I've hit every electronic store in NashVILE...NO LUCK!

I have 6 items,around the house,that require "wall-warts" to be plugged in at all times:

computer spkrs.
broadband router
dsl box
scanner
answering machine
caller ID

Somewhere,in those six,there's a "conspiracy" goin' on!

------------------
  ~ ~

©¿© It don't mean a thang,
mm if it ain't got that twang.

Chip Fossa

Monson, MA, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2006 10:27 pm    

Jim Bob.

That's the idea. Instead of having to go around and unplug all the WWs, just turn off the multi-plug strip when done playing. Power to the strip is stopped. Just a simple switch.

You really don't need an expensive power surge strip. I by the $5 hardware utility strips.

BTW - I have to use 2 together in my present array, because those WWs are so bulky they essentially block off the next adjacent plug,
rendering it useless.

All AC power to my rig [amp too] goes thru the power strips

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2006 4:31 am    

There are cheap power strips available that have the slots going sideways, specifically for wallwarts - there are also some avalable with extra-wide spacing. Radio Shack used to sell nifty little two-spot "strips" with an on/off switch, they're out of production but I have seen similar products elsewhere. I have one for my computer speakers, and one for a drum machine (which is in turn plugged into my rack's conditioner).

My local Salvation Army, at least, has a box full of electronics "junk" that often has used wallwarts and power strips. I have spare 12v warts for certain drum machines and other stuff. You can never have too many strips! If you have something like an overdrive that isn't always in the chain, you can just hook one strip into another and use it as an off switch. The Visual Sound, One Spot people make adapters that can reverse the current, feed Line 6, Digitech, old DOD pedals etc. I have a few of the One Spot and Rocktron power supplies that really can feed a whole chain of effects. www.VisualSound.net

As Smiley noted it's the oddball ones that cause the problems - my Lexicon needs 1900ma, my Genesis 3 needs 2100ma. Gosh, I wonder if those companies want me to buy warts from them?
Andy Zynda

Wisconsin
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2006 5:24 am    

Another nasty side effect is the noise that they can generate. Onstage, no biggie. But in a studio, sensitive mikes and outboard gear can pickup the AC magnetic field from those things up to 10-15 feet away.
I hate 'em too.
They should have a load sensor that disengages the primary when there's no load present.
-andy-
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2006 3:45 am    

Smiley...Click here
Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2006 4:02 am    

I must have a dozen "Dr. Ferd's Wart Remover" to keep them off power strips. I never leave them pluged in just for that power-draw reason, except the computer-related ones.
Howard Tate

Leesville, Louisiana, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2006 4:48 am    

I bought a power strip at Lowes that has five regular size outs on one side and three extra wide outs on the other for wall warts, plus a power switch. it has a cord holder around the out side, and I think a nine foot cord, not sure about the length. It was less then $10, works great.

------------------
Howard
Smiley Roberts

Hendersonville,Tn. 37075
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2006 11:59 am    

Thanx Donny.that might solve my problem.

------------------
  ~ ~

©¿© It don't mean a thang,
mm if it ain't got that twang.