| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Peavey Nashville 112
Lane Sandstrom

North Dakota, USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2006 7:33 pm    

I have one of these showing up tomorrow that I purchased new from a dealer on ebay for $329. I needed a steel amp for my MSA and would like any insight from anyone using one. Also, how would it sound also with a regular guitar? (Fender Strat). Thanks.
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2006 4:20 am    

Wow! Great deal!

Nashville 112

I had to run my Nashville 112 for a few weeks before the tone started to "warm up". So whatever settings you come up with, give it time to break in before you pass judgement on it.

Greg

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Roger Francis

kokomo,Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2006 6:48 am    

Like Greg said, the speaker has to break in so the more you play it the better it will sound. I have three and the newest one does'nt sound as good as one of the older ones but it's getting there. Do a search here on the forum on 112s you will find a lot of good info on them. Great little steel amp. They sound good with a fender too, you just have to EQ them different.

[This message was edited by Roger Francis on 21 April 2006 at 07:49 AM.]

[This message was edited by Roger Francis on 21 April 2006 at 07:49 AM.]

[This message was edited by Roger Francis on 21 April 2006 at 07:51 AM.]

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 21 Apr 2006 7:01 am    

In my thirty-plus year career as a dive steel player, I never encountered this 'break-in' phenomena. Is this true, and/or is it some kind of 'guitar player' thing. Enlighten me .....

[This message was edited by Barry Blackwood on 21 April 2006 at 08:03 AM.]

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2006 7:12 am    

I can't tell (hear) any difference between when my Nashville 112 was new, last February, or how it sounds today and it's had a lot of use (I've used it exclusively including on the road).
Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2006 8:58 am    

Hey Lane,
Crank up the lows and turn down the highs on your 112 is the secret I found to getting a good tone out of the 112's. See ya!
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2006 10:19 am    

You're in trouble, Lane! There's a prominent notice at the top of the page telling us not to talk amplifiers here !!!

Having said that, I must add something to this. One of my 112s had to have a new speaker and, on its return from Peavey, I was dismayed to hear a slight 'constriction' in the normally-excellent tone when compared to my other well run-in 112. But - within a couple of days, it was fine, and now there's no difference.

It's the first time I've experienced such a thing with an amp, and it's interesting that the first time I ever played a 112 (it was the new one I'd bought sight-unseen from Bobbe S) I loved its tone. That aberration must have been present, yet it was only once I'd got used to the 112's performance that I heard that slight 'new speaker syndrome'....

I look forward to seeing this thread in 'Electronics' pretty soon now!

RR
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2006 10:23 am    

A 'PS' for Lane...

I'll be in Medora, ND all Summer playing at the Medora Musical - come and say 'hello' if you're in the area!

RR
Sonny Priddy

Elizabethtown, Kentucky, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2006 11:24 am    

Give The Speaker Time To Break In I Had To Mine Sounds Better All Time. SONNY.

------------------
Mickey McGee

Phoenix,Az
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2006 2:00 am    

That's the best price I have seen on the Peavey NV112-I thought I got a good deal on my NV112 until now-what is wholesale on these amps?How can anybody make money selling @ $329.00 - Looks like the NV112 is a mystery in more ways than one.
Mickey McGee

Phoenix,Az
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2006 2:13 am    

Lane,I don't know about using a Strat w/NV112 but I have friends that use Tele's with them and like it.You got such a GREAT deal on the amp what does it matter?You have enough money left over to buy another amp!
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2006 7:49 am    

Lane, I use one of my NV 112 amps on a monthly basis at a theater gig I do with an Elvis impersonator. My main guitar amp is usually a Fender Blues Deluxe reissue but it's somewhat noisy at times. I tried the NV112 out at the theater coming straight out of the XLR connection in the back and it did a wonderful job. It had a lot of punch and was very quiet. On this gig I use a Boss ME-50 pedal board with a Strat, a Tele, and an Ibanez Artcore archtop with P-90's. The great thing about the NV112 is the weight which is really a plus when trying to get on and off stage in a hurry. Sometimes on larger venues if we're not miked I set my Blues Deluxe right on top of the NV112 and run a line down to it which really does the job!....JH in Va.

------------------
Don't matter who's in Austin (or anywhere else) Ralph Mooney is still the king!!!

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2006 10:53 am    

If anyone had suggested to me a couple of years back that I'd ever enjoy the sound of a steel guitar through a small amp with a 12" speaker, I'd have laughed at them.

Now I prefer my 112s to my NV 400 and my NV 1000 - I like the tone better, and there's more than enough power for my use. The fact that this package is SO portable is an added bonus. That XLR 'out' is a real boon, too. I have two 112s, and plan on buying a third one soon - those other amps are just taking up space in my music room....

RR
Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2006 11:00 am    

Great! Thanks.
Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2006 7:09 pm    

Roger I agree 100%,I have been giving my NV112 two thumbs and eight fingers up all over this forum,because I'm so happy with it.I have't found a situation yet[indoors or outdoors]that it could'nt handle.This amp proves bigger is not always better.Why carry around a 250 or 300 watt overkill,overweight monster that needs a forklift to get it on the bandstand.Also I've never played a large outdoor gig that every thing is not miked or run through the board.In the last few weeks I've used it in the studio[sometimes through the board,sometimes miked]sounds great.Yes these big amps sound great,I've owned a peavy 500,session 400,session 400 ltd,NV-400,Chorus 212,Renown,and a bandit,but I would'nt trade my NV112 for any of them.Finally I can play a gig ,sound great,and don't have to visit my chiropractor the next day!!!!
Curt Langston

Post  Posted 26 Apr 2006 2:49 am    

Quote:
Wow! Great deal!

Thats about what they sell for here on the Forum.
Terry Sneed

Arkansas,
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2006 9:37 am    

I just orderd another 112. I'm goin to try the 2 amp riggins for stereo. This will be my first time ever to play through 2 amps.
I'm also goin to run my sound tracks through both amps. Man, cords to my Lexicon 110, cords to my CD player, cords to my mixer, to my steel, to my volume pedal! I'm not sure I'll ever figure out where all the cords go!
BTW- I got both my brand new 112's for $435 a piece, shippin included. Can't beat that with a stick!

Terry

------------------
Mullen RP D10 /8x5 / Nashville 112/ American Strat Highway 1 model
pickin for Jesus

KENNY KRUPNICK

Grove City,Ohio
Post  Posted 4 May 2006 10:06 am    

You'll love that Nash 112
Robert Porri

Windsor, Connecticut, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2006 11:10 am    

Interesting to read on this thread about the "break in" time for the N112. When I first started using the amp in a small practice room, there was something about the attack that sounded harsh to me. The first time I used it in a larger setting though, it really sounded great. I found in the small practice room if I used the low gain input, it helped a lot. It does seem to have "warmed up" in general though. Unless Mike Brown tells me we're all imagining things, I think I will buy into the idea.

I also use the N112 with a Tele, a Strat, and a Variax. You have to adjust EQ settings, but I think it cranks nice either clean or with effects.

Bob P.