| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bakelite Bars
Steve Merritt

Alameda, California, USA
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2004 8:43 am    

Does anyone use bakelite bars, like the old Nick Manoloff ones? I have one and I find it really easy to use and I like the tone of it. I know a lot of players prefer a heavy bar (for better sustain?) The bakelite bars have almost no sustain yet the tone reminds me of guys like Bob Dunn. As a novice steel player I'd be interested in people thoughts on this....

thanks!
Ed Naylor

portsmouth.ohio usa, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2004 10:04 am    

I have made some "Sample" Bakelite bars , also bars of many different materials.Each material has a different Tone. One that I made worked real well on an Aluminum body guitar so that I got that real TRAVIS acoustic body "Thumb" sound.There really is no limitations when it comes to materials that can be used. Only your imagination controls the limits. Ed Naylor Steel Guitar Works.
George Rout

St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2004 8:14 pm    

Is the bar solid Bakelite, or is it a Bakelite/plastic covered steel bar. The ones that I have from the 50's I think are not solid plastic. I'll have to look at them closely again. I thought they were just another item smartly marketed item by Oahu (and others). While nifty looking in their bright colours, they were subject to chipping, or worse if you dropped it in the wrong place!!! George in Peach Pickin' country.
Ed Naylor

portsmouth.ohio usa, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2004 6:14 am    

As I stated, I have made solid bars and also various combinations using different materials.AS I started out many years ago I have used a piece of Broom handle to get a different sound.Wrist Pins from a motor works when you have nothing else. Consider this- years ago they only had small amps w/o reverb and all the goodies. There are a million reasons and combinations to consider. ED