| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Rack Mount VERSES Stomp boxes
Gary Steele

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2006 9:30 am    

I was talking to a Guitar player and an engineer that works for a big music store chain about effects. He said he has tried about everything. He showed me a Green colored delay that was made by line 6 that was about 250.00 that has samples of different delays. This thing did seem very nice. He said he thinks it best to have something designated to delays. Then he said a HolyGrail for reverb. I have heard these are the best reverbs or one of the best anyway. Anyone tried these?
Gary
A. J. Schobert

Cincinnati, Ohio,
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2006 4:25 pm    

Did you take your guitar with you and try it?I would do that, also what is the modal of the effects/revarb thing?
Keith Cordell

San Diego
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2006 4:52 pm    

The Line6 unit was probably a DL4. He's right about the quality, too- they sound great and can't be beat for flexibility, though they have a pretty big footprint. The Holy Grail is a killer reverb, you can look it up in history and find a bunch of threads about them. Both are great units.
Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2006 6:28 pm    

I just got four of the new Line 6 Tone Core pedals. One of them is a rotary speaker simulator called a Roto Machine that sounds very good. The fast and slow speeds can be set separately and are switched by lightly tapping the footswitch. The unit is bypassed by pushing the footswitch harder. The bypass switch has a detent you can feel. There is also an LED on top that indicates the mode its in. I played a lot of blues on C6th at a jam Saturday night and it really sounded good.

The other stompboxes are an Echo Park digital delay, a Crunchtone distortion box, and a Verbzilla digital reverb. I haven't put the others through their paces yet, but initial trials seem positive. The housings are cast metal of some sort and heavy, you don't have to worry about them sliding around. Also, different modules can be used in the same housing, a rather unique concept.

I used to think multi-effects units were the only way to go, but now I'm leaning toward stomp boxes.

------------------
Darvin Willhoite
Riva Ridge Recording

[This message was edited by Darvin Willhoite on 25 April 2006 at 06:43 AM.]

Gary Steele

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2006 8:26 am    

dARVIN, i AGREE AFTER CHECKING THESE THINGS OUT. a PERSON COULD ALSO PUT A NICE RACK ON ONE SIDE OF YA AND USE YOUR HANDS TO SET AND USE IT. i CANT REMEMBER THE MODEL # BUT IT IS AT gUITAR CENTER NOW. dARVIN THE SOUNDS COMING OUT OF IT WAS AWESOME. iT ALSO RECORDS WHAT YOU ARE PLAYING AND THEN YOU CAN PLAY ANOTHER SOUND OR HARMONY TO IT.sONNY cURTIS STILL USES LOTS OF STOMP BOXES. bE SURE GUYS AND CHECK THIS OUT.
GARY
KENNY KRUPNICK

Grove City,Ohio
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2006 10:02 am    

Darvin, I'm with you, Stomp Boxes are THE way to go. Especially if the ole back isn't what it used to be.