| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Profex 2 maintenance
Bill Myrick

Pea Ridge, Ar. (deceased)
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2006 8:36 am    

Although I have been playing through one for three years, I have no idea at all about what it's made up of. I understand there is a battery in it ?? If so, how often should I replace it, how, where etc ?? Thanks. Bill Myrick
David Higginbotham

Lake Charles, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2006 11:12 am    

Bill, there is a samll memory battery inside the unit that needs to be checked. I have seen these batteries last more than 10 years. It is a small green or blue battery. If it is going low it will tell you when you turn the unit on. As for the condiiton of the battery itself, it needs to be changed if it is leaking. You can determine this simply by looking at the battery. You will see white crystals forming on it. If it looks good and is giving you no message, I would check it once or twice a year. If it is leaking, take a Q-tip and apply a bit of acetone (fingernail polish remover). That will neutralize the acid until you can have the battery replaced. I know that Ken Fox has a memory chip he can install to eliminate the need for a battery. The battery costs a $6 at most any electronics supply outlet and is not that hard to change. You will need to make sure you have the programs saved to a card tho before changing the battery because you will lose all setting currently save. Hope this helps.
Dave
Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2006 12:06 pm    

I can send you a chip for 25.00, postage paid and you will not a battery again. I will be installing them at the Dallas Steel Show, 35.00 installed and programs reloaded.

I also install the Burr Brown audio upgrade chips as well

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2006 2:14 pm    

Bill, Take Ken's advice on both - the "batteryless" user memory chip and the op amp replacments. With the new chip there is no need for a battery and the potential to leak and damage the printed circuits in the unit.

The op-amp upgrad cleans up the Profex II's signal and also reduces the inherent noise.

Neither "mod" is hard to do, or you can have a local tech install them. It will take longer to remove and reinstall the cover than it will to do the "mods".
ray qualls

Baxter Springs, Kansas (deceased)
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2006 4:34 pm    

Bill, if you're going to Dallas, let Ken do it for you. If you're not going, find someone who is and have them take it there for you and get it fixed. Ken does a great job and will treat you right. Ray

------------------
Ray Qualls
President(KSGA) www.rayqualls.com

Bill Myrick

Pea Ridge, Ar. (deceased)
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2006 3:25 am    

Thanks guys-- Every year I say "this year I'm gonna make it" (to Dallas) and always something here in the business seems to disrupt plans. Maybe this time it'll happen. If so, I certainly will take your advise and put it in "Dr Ken's" hands. I wonder what the folks at XNA security will say when they find it in my luggage though ??? -
Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2006 5:43 am    

I took my Profex II apart this weekend for the first time, to check on the battery, and I was pleasantly surprised. All of the integrated circuits are SOCKETED. What a nice thing to do. Way to Go Peavey!!!!.

I did go around and make sure all of the IC's were seated by giving them a fingertip push and each one (except the DSP, stay away from that, the big black square one) did a little crunch as it reseated.
Alan Harrison

Murfreesboro Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2006 8:16 am    

Ken Fox had sent me the battery-less chip last May, it was very easy to put in. My original battery lasted 12 years. No more worries about acid leakage. Last week I ordered the 4 Burr chips, and installed them yesterday. Love the change in tone. Very warm and the Profex ll is a lot less noisy. I think it was well worth the $$.

------------------
Emmons LeGrande II D-10, 8 & 5, Willy D-10, 8 & 8 two Peavey 112's, Profex II and Hilton Pedal.

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2006 8:18 am    

Well bring on down to Dallas! Glad to do it for you! Thanks on the feedback on the Burr Brown chips, Alan!