| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Dual Professional?
Chris Erbacher

Sausalito, California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2006 2:01 pm    

has anyone used one of the new custom shop point to point wired Dual Professional amps for steel? just curious 'cause it looks like a twin with better reverb controls.

[This message was edited by Chris Erbacher on 17 January 2006 at 02:03 PM.]

David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2006 7:41 pm    

Can't find anything about this amp on the Fender site. What is it?
Chris Erbacher

Post  Posted 17 Jan 2006 11:43 pm    

from what i understand it is called the Dual Professional, it is a blonde amp with white knobs, all tube, point to point wiring like it should be, has reverb and tremelo and the reverb has three knobs for extra control, 100watts. i think they are part of the custom shop amps that are coming out now that fender figured out that the hand wired amps sound better. i'm told that stock they come with 12" celestion vintage 30 speakers. i guess they get a good clean tone, and with the extra controls for reverb, it sounds like a steel player's dream (if they only came with jbl d-120's). i know where to get one and have seen barry sless play lead guitar thru two stacked and it sounded great, i'm just curious if anyone has used one for steel. the only drawback to me is the cab size, it seems bigger than a twin, sort of in the same ballpark as the old blackface bassman's where the cab gives a little bit of room on either side of the speakers.
Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2006 5:30 am    

Actually it is no longer in production. It retailed for 3000.00 new. Here is some info from the Fender Amp Field Guide:

1994-Present Dual Professional

Dual Professional
Year: 1994-Present
Model: Dual Professional
Circuit: ?
Config: Combo
Control Panel: Black, forward facing w/ white screened labels, controls numbered 1-10
Front Conrol Layout: In, In, Dwell, Mix, Tone - Channel A/B Sw, Fat Sw A, Fat Sw B, Vol A, Vol B, Treb, Bass, Mid - Speed, Intensity - Pilot Lamp
Rear Conrol Layout: ?
Knobs: White round
Cabinet: 19 7/8" x 26 1/8" x 10 3/8" (50.5 x 66.4 x 26.4 cm)
Cab Covering: White Tolex
Cab Hardware: Brown plastic "Fender", chassis straps, 16" tilt-back legs, corner protectors, glides
Grille:cloth
Logo: Grille mounted, flat, chrome & black script "Fender" w/ tail
Weight: 76 lbs. (34.5 Kg)
Speakers/Load: 2 x 12"/4 ohms (8 ohms each in parallel)
Speaker Model: Celestion Vintage 30
Effects: Reverb, Tremolo
Output: 100 Watts
Preamp: ?
Power: 4 x 6L6
Bias: Fixed w/ bias adjustment pot
Rectifier: Solid State
Phase Inverter: ?
Other: Tremolo: ?

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2006 5:32 am    

http://www.scottymoore.net/95dualpro.html

More accurate info above

One on Ebay at: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7383337452&category=38074

[This message was edited by Ken Fox on 18 January 2006 at 05:36 AM.]

David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2006 8:08 am    

Wow, major cool amp. Might be good for using one channel for steel, and the other for Tele. Looks like it probably has plenty of space for a 15" speaker.
Cartwright Thompson

Post  Posted 18 Jan 2006 8:34 am    

Best amp for pedal steel that I've ever heard. Not bad for arch top and tele too.Mine's got K-120's in it. Loud as you'd ever want and the best reverb possible. Weighs a ton though, hence my motto: "Suffer for tone!".
Chris Erbacher

Post  Posted 18 Jan 2006 9:24 am    

cartwright, have you done a weight comparison to a twin, also a size comparison? can someone explain the solid state rectifier?
David Doggett

Post  Posted 18 Jan 2006 12:32 pm    

It's listed as about the same weight as a Twin, around 75 lbs.
Chris Erbacher

Post  Posted 18 Jan 2006 4:43 pm    

has anyone else used one of these amps? cartwright does your amp break up when pushed, how does it compare to a blackface type sound?
David Doggett

Post  Posted 18 Jan 2006 10:20 pm    

Check this out: http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage- Fender-Super-Twin-Reverb-Amplifier-185WRMS-15_W0QQitemZ7381976674QQcategoryZ38074QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Too heavy? Try one of these. These are basically silverface Twins in a head cab with 4 channels, reverb, and no vibrato: http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAG E-FENDER-PA-100-AMP-HEAD-TWIN-DUAL-REVERB-SHOWMAN_W0QQitemZ7382589615QQcategoryZ38074QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/FENDER-PA-1 00-with-REVERB-GREAT-FOR-GUITAR-ca-1975_W0QQitemZ7382849658QQcategoryZ38074QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

------------------
Student of the Steel: Zum uni, Fender tube amps, squareneck and roundneck resos, tenor sax, keyboards

[This message was edited by David Doggett on 18 January 2006 at 10:37 PM.]

Cartwright Thompson

Post  Posted 19 Jan 2006 2:01 am    

The DP and the Twin weigh about the same until you put in the JBL's, then the weight gets kinda brutal, about 90lbs. I have a '66 Twin running a pair of 6550's into a D-130. Not too heavy and really sweet for steel. Not as loud as the DP but with the proper impedance match (two power tubes into 8ohms) you still get around 70watts. Tone-wise the two amps are very similar, the DP is a little "Beefier" with more reverb control-you can really go surfin' if you crank up the dwell.
Most of the high power amps (four power tubes) use a solid state rectifier. It tightens up the sound a little and makes for more headroom and less "sag" or spongy-ness.
Chris Erbacher

Post  Posted 19 Jan 2006 9:16 am    

wow the DP sounds great, i'm wondering if $1150 without speakers is a good deal, or if i should just get a 135 watt twin with no speakers for $450 and have it modded out the wazoo for the dream amp, decisions decisions. i was using a webb, but it blew the transistors and the guy doesn't think he can fix it, i guess the solder is super thick, and the screws are soldered in. so i am looking to replace it, and the sound of a zb into a twin is one of my favorite sounds. advice?
Lefty

Grayson, Ga.
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2006 9:42 am    

I own one. Probably the best Fender amp I have played through or heard. I had a 1971 twin I loved, but the tone of the Dual Pro is far superior. Comes stock with Celestion vintage 30 speakers. The Cabinet size is the same as a twin, but the speakers are mounted a little lower in the Dual Pro to accomodate the electronics. Best reverb and tremelo around. I like a 15" speaker for Steel, but I have not tried hooking one up to the Dual Pro yet. I am sure the sound with one JBL D-130 would be killer.
Lefty
Dekeley D-10
Sho-Bud LDG
Fender Dual Pro
Chris Erbacher

Post  Posted 19 Jan 2006 10:58 am    

so is it worth an $1150 price tag, in almost perfect shape? i was going to change the speakers to jbl's, what about the celestions for steel?
Dan Tyack

Olympia, WA USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2006 2:35 pm    

Chris,

The Celestions are fine with steel, but you would get a better steel tone (IMHO) if you replaced just one of them with a JBL d120/k120/e120 or a black widow. The combination of the Celestion with a JBL type speaker gives a bigger, more dimensional, better sound than 2 of each type. Again, IMHO.