| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Rackmount Equalizers
Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2006 9:18 am    

Is anyone using a rackmount equalizer as part of their steel rig? I've been experimenting with a Boss equalizer stomp box but it's only 7 band and I don't find the sound quality great...the highs have a 'hissy' edge to them for one thing. I see quite few reasonably priced 31 band rackmounts available but I have zero experience with rackmount equipment.
Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2006 10:06 pm    

Bill, look for a good parametric EQ, like the Furman PQ3 or the AudioArts 4100, both of which also have decent Hi-Z pre-amps built in.

A fully parametric EQ is not only a much cleaner circuit fidelity-wise than a graphic, but really more versatile in regards to what you can dial up with it.

[This message was edited by Dave Grafe on 13 January 2006 at 10:07 PM.]

Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2006 7:43 am    

Thanks Dave. I'm doing a little research on those models. Audioarts doesn't seem to have much of an online presence and Furman looks to have abandoned parametric models in their current lineup. I did find a PQ3 on eBay though. I have a Steel Guitar Black Box on its way to me right now so I won't be pursuing the rackmount equalizer solution until after I see what difference the box gives me tonewise.
I use a Peavey Session 400 Limited (circa '91) and depending on where I have my rig set up I often find it has a 'midranginess' that is hard to shake regardless of settings. It's actually quite pleasant on some things...like tunes with a 'jazzy' or 'bluesy' feel. But if I'm after a more scooped sound (like Paul Franklin has used on so much of Alan Jackson's material)then the tone controls on my amp just don't get it for me. I've thought about switching to a Nashville 112 but I'd really need two of those which would cost more than I want to spend.
Judging from the scant replies here not too many players are using rackmount equalizers though. It was just a thought.
Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2006 9:50 am    

Back when I was playing through two amps, I had an ART graphic EQ in my rack. I was also using stereo reverb and stereo delays and chorus. With the stereo EQ in the rack I could tweak the tone of each amp from where I was sitting, as well as adjust the volume of each amp. As I recall, both sides of the EQ had 13 bands.

Later, when I went back to using just one amp, I had the two sides of the EQ hooked up in series. That way I had the choice of no EQ, the A channel, or the B channel - three different tone settings.

That EQ was a bit hissy, but you certainly couldn't hear it on stage.

------------------
Lee, from South Texas
Down On The Rio Grande

Mullen U-12, Evans FET-500, Fender Steel King

T. C. Furlong

Lake County, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2006 12:45 pm    

Bill,

My experience has been that graphic EQ, especially affordable units will tend to degrade your sound. In my business, I probably own several dozen graphic EQ's and it has never even occurred to me to even try one for steel. And I am an obsessive tone hound! I agree with Dave. If you can, try out a parametric EQ. Although, I remember trying several out and I was disappointed with the results. In general, the simpler and more pure the signal path, the better the tone. Better yet, wait until after you receive your Black Box to make any gear changes. I love what my Black Box does for my sound.
TC

[This message was edited by T. C. Furlong on 14 January 2006 at 12:46 PM.]

Bill Crook

Goodlettsville, TN , Spending my kid's inheritance
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2006 1:57 pm    

Bill..........

I use a "Alesis 3630" stero EQ unit my rack system. Works great !!

I placed it last in the chain,just befor the Power-amp.

------------------
http://home.comcast.net/~crookwf/
http://photobucket.com/albums/v479/billcrook/

[This message was edited by Bill Crook on 15 January 2006 at 08:54 AM.]

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2006 1:27 am    

Graphic EQ's can be a little bit noisy, so it's best to put them after any compression or overdrive that might magnify that - if you're careful with your signal chain, using good cords, keeping power supplies isolated etc. you can get away with three or four stages of gain before the noise gets bothersome. Having said that, a graphic EQ is the simplest and easiest way for ME to get exactly the tones I want.

I use a stereo 15-band Audio Centron AC-GE215 unit. I use one side of the EQ after a Tube Works "Real Tube" unit and cut off the high end rasp and bassy mud, and the other side is clean into a Lexicon reverb unit - I use the clean side to add the bass and clean treble. I have yet to find a parametric EQ that will let me add the Les Paul upper midrange and lower treble tones without including too much upper treble shriek. I'm not saying they don't exist, I'm just not able to spend $500 or $2000 for an EQ unit, and the stereo graphic EQ does exactly what I want it to, you just add and cut exactly the frequencies you want.

I paid like $60(?) used on the forum; I don't think the brand matters too much, again you have to pay attention to levels and stages of gain to keep noise down but I measure "noise" with my ears, not a meter - we've gotten awfully spoiled that way, back when I started playing the only way you knew an amp worked was if it hummed (& buzzed & crackled, now and then). I agree with everybody that ideally, a simple signal chain is best, and everybody really ought to have enough time and money to try out every possible combination of amplifiers and boutique studio gear imaginable; in the meantime, I'll just have to struggle through with my lowly graphic EQ.
Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2006 5:20 am    

Bill, I was having a look at the Alesis 3630 and they describe it as a Compressor/ Limiter rather than an equalizer. I was listening to your 'Look at Us' clip on your website and you have a really nice sound, whatever gear goes into it. Excellent playing too.
For the time being I'm going to wait on my Black Box and see what it does for me. I can't find where anyone has a bad word to say about them so I'm optimistic. Then, even if I don't find the tone I'm after I'll probably keep the BB and look at other options. Rackmount EQ is one possibility, or perhaps a different amp. A big drawback with going to rackmounts is that I'd have to start from scratch...I have no rack to put it in. This quest for tone is an expensive obsession.
Bill Crook

Goodlettsville, TN , Spending my kid's inheritance
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2006 9:01 am    

Bill............. You are right !!

I had a senior moment there....... The EQ unit is NOT the "Alesis 3630" but a "DOD-430". The 3630 is the compressor/limiter.

------------------
http://home.comcast.net/~crookwf/
http://photobucket.com/albums/v479/billcrook/

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2006 9:01 am    

I bought a 12-space metal rack for less than 20 bucks from MF or Sam Ash or somebody. NOT a good idea - it looks so... empty... so... HONGRY....
Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2006 7:39 am    

If you can find an original (black face/red knobs) Furman PQ-3, buy it. I've been using one for years. They're ultra quiet. And you can duplicate the tone settings of any guitar amp or use it to expand the tone settings of your prefered guitar amp settings. BE used a PQ-3 and Session 400 for the Live Convention recording.
Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2006 10:07 am    

Actually there is one Furman PQ3 available on eBay right now...just six hours left in the auction. He only ships within the U.S. but at $335 it's too rich for my blood anyhow.
Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2006 12:00 pm    

That Furman on ebay is a two-channel unit, gives you one for the steel and an extra one for whatever, Dobro, maybe? Two good EQ's for under $400 with shipping, not that bad price.

One nice thing about the Furman PQ3 is the very nice FET preamp at the front end, tag a good effects unit and power amp after it and you've got a super rack rig, clean sound until you really lean on it and then it gives just a hint of growl, a good comination.