| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Hilton pedal stopped working
mickd

london,england
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2005 11:51 am    

I have a Hilton low-profile volume pedal which has been working fine since I got it (6 months or more ago). The one problem I have had is that it doesn't stay put when I take my foot off. The manual says that if this happens, you just open it up and back off a nut. So I did this - and thats all I did, I didnt touch anything else. After I put it back together again, it didn't work anymore. I found a sliver of plastic on my table top that must have fallen out of the insides - can anyone say where this is supposed to go ? Could it even be the cause of the pedal no longer working ?
I checked the leads and they're fine, and the pedal is properly plugged in.
Here's a picture of the plastic sliver

[This message was edited by mickd on 23 July 2005 at 12:52 PM.]

[This message was edited by mickd on 23 July 2005 at 12:53 PM.]

Mark Kelchen

Cedar Rapids, Iowa USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2005 12:49 pm    

Best check with Keith! He is the man for the job and I'm sure will either coach you through it or take care of it for you.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2005 4:17 pm    

Yes, that little piece of plastic with the cross hatches is essential! It's glued to the front half of the piece of clear plastic that extends down from the top of the pedal, on the jack side of the pedal. If you remove the top of the pedal, and look carefully, you should be able to see where it came off, and replace it. I think Keith uses hot-melt glue to fasten it on the inside edge.
mickd

london,england
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2005 11:45 am    

Donny
if I understand you right, I should glue the sliver right where I am holding it in the picture below - is that so ?
There is no sign of glue at all on the plastic 'pillar' that sticks up at the end of the pedal-top.
Could I just use cellotape for this ?
Also, the sliver seems to be graduated - being clear at the top and darker as you go down. Which way round do I have to attach it - dark end near the foot or the other way around ?
Thanks
Mick

[This message was edited by mickd on 24 July 2005 at 12:46 PM.]

Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2005 8:52 pm    

Computers are great for solving problems. Mick, let me help you. Here is what happened. When you took the pedal apart, and then put it back together, you caught the piece of plastic film and pulled it lose. Donny is correct, this film is hot glued to the plastic. The darkest part of the film is placed "down", or nearest the rubber on the top of the pedal. If you don't want to hot glue the film, a clear type tape should work to hold the film on also. Don't worry, if you screw it up I will mail you some new film. Now, getting back to your original problem of the pedal not staying in place when you remove your foot. With a cotton rag wipe all grease off the plastic clutch piece, and off the metal the plastic clutch runs on. The plastic is oil impregnated and really don't need any grease now. Next, get a small rubber "O" ring and slip it over one of the brass hinge bushings. The purpose of this is to make the fit tighter between the bottom half of the pedal and the brass bushings. The rubber "O" ring is making the brass hinge bushing closer to where the hinge bolts screw into the lower half of the pedal. When the brass rubs against this point there is friction or drag created. Most of the time one "0" ring will do the trick, and take up the slack. In a few cases you can get a rubber "O" ring on both brass bushings. All you are doing is taking up slack between the lower portion of the pedal, where the hinge bolt screws in, and the connection point of the brass bushings. Once you have taken out this slack, with one or two little rubber "O" rings, tighten the hinge bolts real secure. After doing the above, your pedal will stay in place when you remove your foot. You should be able to find little "O" rings that will fit over the brass bushings at any automobile parts house, or hardware store. If you can't find any that will fit, let me know and I will mail you some. Hope this information helps. Mick, you take great pictures and that was a help in seeing what the problems were. Thanks for using my pedal. This is a really easy pedal to repair if something does go wrong, plus I am always here to help you. Thanks Donny for heading Mick in the right direction. Everything you said is correct Donny.
CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2005 1:07 am    

is this forum great or what ?
mickd

london,england
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2005 2:10 am    

Keith
thanks so much for chipping in. With any luck the next post from me should be one reporting success
Mick
Hal Higgins

Denham Springs, LA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2005 8:36 am    

I need to let this forum know and also Keith, that I'm a proud owner and user of a Hilton Pedal.....they are the absolute best in the world (in my opinion) and Keith is indeed a great guy to deal with....He helped me with mine shortly after I got it, and it's been a prefect pedal ever since....would not have any other VP...thanks Keith.........HAL

------------------
Be Blessed........HAL
'85 Emmons LeGrande D-10,(8 & 5) Hilton Vol. Pedal, BJS Birthstone bar, Rack w/Evans Pre-amp, Lexicon MPX500; (2)1501-4 BW's in custom built cabs by T.A. Gibson, & Sound Tech PL802 Digital Power Amp.

mickd

london,england
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2005 2:13 pm    

I removed the grease, as per instruction, and used Sellotape to re-attach the sliver - and all is now ok
For the moment, I don't even need to try the 'O' rings out, as the pedal is now retaining position just fine, but I'll bear that in mind for the future.
Thanks to all
Richard E. Lee

Macedon, NY, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2005 6:04 pm    

You're absolutely right, Hal.. for Keith to come on and explain the workings of that pedal..says alot about Keith. I too have that pedal, (knock on wood) I have used it everyday!, for the last 2 years, practicing etc..and it has never given me an once of trouble...and you are exactly right..In dealing with Keith ..I have a huge confidence factor..just knowing he is close at hand..and ready to help.. Thanks again Keith for a great product. I can't say enough about you as a person..and the products you sell and service.

[This message was edited by Richard E. Lee on 27 July 2005 at 07:09 PM.]

Brett Anderson

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2005 10:01 pm    

Thats all I needed to see. I'll be buying me a Hilton pedal next payday. Great job Keith Hilton!