| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Eating Crow....N400 for Tele..
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2005 4:24 am    

Friday night I used my Hot Rod Deville for Steel and Tele..I was told ( wifey) it did not project out thru the room all that well and was a bit bright and thin for the Steel..although on the bandstand it appeared more than adequate...

So, Sat night, and against my former better judgement a took the N400 to perform double duty...along with a few stomp Pedals, Compressor/Overdrive etc... for the Tele .

Clearly the N400 took care of the "Otherside of the Room" issue for the Steel.....the amount of extra "Get the heck out of my way" that this amp has is downright scary.....

Now, for the Tele I used a small stomp box Compressor, one with Level, Attack and Sustain..fooled with the knobs a bit ..and while warming up I was saying to myself.."Self..this sounds pretty good"..

Actually it sounded ..real good...and I am very stubborn with the Tele tones...make that old and stubborn...

During the gig I made a few small adjustments , a bit more level, moderate sustain and attack and this thing KICKED...

Very clean especially on the bottom end...and..of course..VERY loud..but I rolled that back...

I take back everything I ever said about the N400 not being my choice with the Tele...

Now I do believe a nice front end unit, maybe even a tube preamp of some sort would bring this baby home...plenty of toys out there, heck..plenty here at home..

see..it's never too late to change your mind..and expand your scope..and then buy more gadgets to support your new conclusion...

t

[This message was edited by Tony Prior on 31 July 2005 at 05:25 AM.]

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2005 5:42 am    

Tony,
See if you can pick up a Peavey "Tube Sweetener". They have been discontinued by Peavey but every once in a while one is listed for sale on ebay. They will "warm up" the tone on a solid state rig.
Erv
Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2005 6:35 am    

I do double duty on Tele and Steel.
I use a Nash 400 for Steel and an Acoustic 165 (four 6L6s) for Tele. Pretty heavy stuff to lug.

I tried using the N400 for Tele for a few months, sweeting the sound with a POD v2 set to the Blackface model.

I used an AB switch to select Tele or Steel.
I eventually decided that it doesn't give what I want, and went back to two amps. It was good for rock tones, but lacking in the "Brent Mason with Alan Jackson" clean twang.

If you've found a magic formula, Tony, I'll reconsider.
Carrying two heavy amps gets old fast.
McGibbon Hotel

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2005 7:57 am    

Joey, my NORMAL rig is very similar to yours, with the exception of the HR Deville. But the past few weeks we have been in clubs that have barely enough room for anything, so scaling down was a real necessity.

I had never been happy with the N400 SS tone for the Tele..but I gotta say, last night it was pretty darn good..not quite like the Fender tube amps..but real snappy, lots of bite..it has made me re-think this issue again...it was clearly way better than I expected...

and yes, I will always lug two amps if the space is allowable, as I use the Fender amp not just for the Tele but for the Stereo Delay out for the Steel as well.

Clubs with small stages and fairly large rooms create a different scenaro...

If I concquer it , I'll let you know..but I would not wait by the phone..

Erv, yes I am familiar with the Tube Sweetner..and it is on my "grab one if I see it " list...

I know of a few local PAWN shops that have some pretty beat up Guitar Tube Preamps hanging around..I may just grab a couple and see what happens...

t

[This message was edited by Tony Prior on 31 July 2005 at 09:02 AM.]

Jim Peters

St. Louis, Missouri, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2005 8:41 am    

Last weekend I had to do the one amp thing, had to decide on SF Deluxe or the NV112. Took the NV112 and was quite pleasantly surprised. The only hassle was the drastic EQ changes between 6string and steel. Did it sound like my Deluxe? Naah. Was it useable? Absolutely. JimP
Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2005 8:42 am    

What you boys need is one Fender Steel King.

Larry Behm
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2005 8:54 am    

RE: drastic eq changes when switching instruments, I recently got a Boss EQ-20 for a pedalboard. This one of their twin pedal series, a digital 10 band eq with 9 memory slots. It has some real poor design flaws such as only being able to scroll forward thru the presets (and only with a mini finger button) but it can be set up with one preset and one manual position and toggled back and forth with the stomp pedal.
What I wonder, though, is; would this serve the same puropose as changing the preamp eq of a combo amp or is there other deeper contouring involved in at the front end of an amp that the changing of the input signal via graphic eq just wouldn't get at? How about running the eq thru an effects loop?
Just sort of thinking out loud.
Jim Peters

St. Louis, Missouri, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2005 12:10 pm    

JL, I thought about that idea, and actually got out an old pedal eq, was gonna try it, but it had a dead battery, so I gave up on the idea.
I almost brought the deluxe, but my GFI doesn't sound very good at any kindof volume.
It sucks to have 2 great amps, for 2 very different purposes, and only have room fo one. JP
Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2005 6:38 pm    

Hey Tony... let me know if you're interested in a Tube Sweetner. I know where one is!
See you in Saluda.
Roger
Scott Appleton

Ashland, Oregon
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2005 7:43 pm    

I have had one of the Acoustic 165's for 35 years and it still kicks ass. The best thing i did was to take it out of all that heavy oak and walnut and put it all in
seperate cab's. No more worrys.

------------------
Mullen S12 Almost Mooney
71 Tele, Regal 45
Sho Bud S10 NP
Line 6 Flextone 3 + JBL D130, Acoustic 100 W all tube, Nash 112
digitech 2101 FX
Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2005 6:28 am    

Tony Behringer and DBX both make low cost tube preamps that work reall good with Teles and SS amps. I got my DBX for under 100 bucks.
D Schubert

Columbia, MO, USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2005 10:17 am    

Tony, I have an ART MP mic pre-amp (the old original one) that also works well for double duty with a PSG & Tele, through my LTD 400. I've also used a Presonus mic pre-amp, and it was okay but not quite as smooth to my ears. Amazing what a little 12AX7 coloration does for that Tele signal.
Ben Slaughter

Madera, California
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2005 12:16 pm    

Steel/Tele > Morley ABY Box > VolPed > PODxt > NV400/NV112 Power Amp input. This is the only way to fly IMO.

I cannot reconcile the different EQ settings required for good Tele and PSG tone on either a Fender guitar (Twin) or Peavey amp alone. So, I use the POD as the front end, adjust the EQ, delay, verb, etc. there, and esentially use the amp as a monitor.

The NV amps are excellent, full range amps with a wide dynamic (frequency) range. This is why we PSGists like them. And the dynamic range of a tele fits within the boundaries of the PSG, so there is no reason why a full range amp, like the NV amps can't be good for tele.

The trick, to me, is to add back some of the limitations and "color" of a Fender amp to get "that" tele tone, and the PODxt is the best tool for that, IMO. I do not use a POD amp model for my PSG tones, just EQ, delay, and verb, but I do use an amp model for my Tele tones.
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2005 12:18 pm    

guys, I do have a few tube preamps around but I prefer one with some mininmal effects , at least overdrive...to possibly use with the 400/Tele..

thanks

t
James Quackenbush

Pomona, New York, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2005 6:08 am    

What you boys need is one Fender Steel King.

Yeeeeeeah !!....That's the ticket !!.....Jim
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2005 11:26 am    

From the thread title I came here looking for some Lance Armstrong content.