| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What to expect out of a good preamp
Wayne Franco

silverdale, WA. USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2005 4:14 pm    

I am hoping any day I will go home and find a package on my door step from Vintech. But since I'm waiting as of right now can anyone tell me the difference I should be hearing. I've heard fatter and warmer sound from a friend. Any opinions?
Randy Beavers

Lebanon,TN 37090
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2005 5:46 am    

Very clean and warm. Clean doesn't have to be thin or harsh. I've heard about the difference transformers bring to the sound of a track, a la Neve pres. Once you hear it you'll know. To my ears what I hear is "fatness" along with a cleaness that just wasn't there with the Pro-Tools preamps. The Pro-Tools preamps seemed "steril" to me.
Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2005 7:38 am    

I think that you'll notice a stunning depth or 3-dimensionality to the sound. Also, like Randy said, there's something to the sound of good transformers. Some call it the sound of "iron" since that's what's in the transformer core. There's a harmonic richness and warmth and clarity that's actually hard to describe, but easy to notice. The Neve is a special design in that the output stage has TONS of available drive current and the transformer is big. That translates to huge amounts of punch, dynamic energy and impact. The classic description of the Neve (or your Vintech) sound is that what comes out sounds "bigger" than what comes in, whether it's a vocal or a kick drum or a guitar amp or whatever. It's one of those things that once you've been spoiled by it, you'll seriously never be able to go back to a Mackie or Pro-Tools or other cheap preamp again. A good mic preamp is probably the most significant audio tool that makes the difference between amateur and pro sounding recordings. When you make a recording with good mic preamps on all the tracks, you'll find that mixing becomes a breeze and you need far less EQ and tweaking to make things fit and sit right. Careful Wayne, it's an expensive addiction.

Brad
Wayne Franco

silverdale, WA. USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2005 11:48 am    

Thank for the positive feedback. Couldn't have come from more informed (and nice)guys!
I'll have to add some overwhelming talent to that as well. Obviously I am needing some positive reinforcemet here and that was just what the doctor ordered. I am trying to keep it down to the most important parts. No plans for the soundproof room yet...ha ha.

Wayne : )