| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Rack Delay W/O Effects??
Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2005 8:31 pm    

Is there a manufacturer that makes a rack mount delay without all of the extra unneeded effects?
Thanks
DD
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2005 12:55 am    

Dennis, I think the answer is probably yes..I have some early Boss 1/2 rack units that are dedicated Reverbs and Delays.

AND

I am fairly certain that with most if not ALL of the newer rack mount units you can edit out everything and anything..and save the patch with only what you desire.

I can't speak for every unit..but for every unit that I have used ( owned) I did exactly what you are referring to. Still do .

The unit I currently use is an original Peavey PROFEX..I edited one of the stock presets to have just stereo delay..and thats it..

in a nutshell I suppose..

I doubt anyone is offering a single effect unit anymore..too much competition...

good luck

t

oh and by the way..these early PROFEX units are very easy to use , have stereo ins and outs, input gain control and the all important HEADPHONE out with separate Headphone gain control.

I would by another of these in a NY minute as a spare...

[This message was edited by Tony Prior on 12 July 2005 at 02:05 AM.]

Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2005 8:34 am    

Dennis,

I recommend that you watch eBay for a used Lexicon PCM41 or PCM42 - the PCM42 is a studio classic - Roland SDE1000 or SDE2500 - both allow you to store a number of presets for different delays, with the SDE 2500 storing feedback and modulation settings for chorus, flange, etc. Eventide also made a straight delay unit some years back but I can't remember the model at the moment.

For a new unit the best bang for the buck is probably the TC Electronics D-Two, a stereo delay with a lot of powerful features.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2005 9:27 am    

The Peavey Deltafex, rack model, has other effects but all you have to do is set the switch on what you want and just not use the other delay type effects. Same way with a Lexicon MPX 110. With current integrated circuits, it doesn't cost any more to make a basic multi effects unit than it does to make one that only does one thing.
Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2005 2:59 pm    

A local studio is selling an Ibanez DMD 2000. Is this a good older rack mount unit?
Thanks for all the input.
DD
Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2005 4:13 pm    

Due to its low sample rate and primitive filters I always found the Ibanez to be a "dirty" sounding unit - to much distortion for my taste, but then I'm pretty picky, it might not bother anybody else.
Drew Howard

Post  Posted 12 Jul 2005 4:24 pm    

FWIW - I used a Alesis Quadraverb that had chained efx patches that you could edit.

Got tired of lugging it around, since I use delay only I got to a BOSS RV3 stompbox.

Drew

------------------

Drew Howard - website - Fessenden D-10 8/8, Fessenden SD-12 5/5 (Ext E9), Magnatone S-8, N400's, BOSS RV-3

Paul Honeycutt

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2005 9:10 am    

I have an Ibanez DM 2000 delay. I've used it for PA and guitar. I think it's a great basic delay.