| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Nashville 400 ear phones
Edward Burgin

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2005 7:19 am    

Has anyone ever fixed a NV 400 to use earphones? Dont like to bother everyone in the house practicing. Thanks Buster
J Hollenberg

Vlaardingen, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2005 1:01 am    

When I bought my Nashville 400 in 1993 I have asked the technician there if it was possible to install a headphone connection.It was possible.If I am right he connected it on the connection where the wires put from the speaker.I also saw a big resistor between it.It works perfect and when I put the headphone in the speaker is shut off.Hope this helps.
Greetings from The Netherland
Sjaak Hollenberg

------------------
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2005 1:19 am    

Hey Buster, hope all is well.. Are you practicing everyday ?

Anyway..not a good idea to put a headphones connection on the speaker out of your amp.
The solution is easy..just like everything else..

Money....

Visit any of the local Pawn Shops or Music stores and purchase any small amp that has a Headphone out on the front.Most of these amps are very small..and are intended for beginning guitar students.

Try to find one that has reverb .

You can also hunt down a Peavey Backstage 30 or Backstage PLUS....These are nice small amps that have a headphone out on the front panels and are also good for LIVE practice at low volume. When you were over at the house I was playing thru one of these. I think I paid $50 for it used.

There are several nice little shops in the Gastonia area that carry amps like this all day long...

If you don't want your entire family ( and maybe your neighbors) to lineup and wack you with a stick..get an amp with a headphones out jack real soon !

Good luck stay in touch, call if I can help..

t

[This message was edited by Tony Prior on 12 July 2005 at 02:20 AM.]

David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2005 7:37 am    

I had a 1/4" speaker jack put on my NV 400 (like on the old Fender tube amps), along with a 1/4" plug on my speaker wire, so that I could try different speakers with it easily. Believe it or not, you can unplug the speaker and plug a headphone right into the speaker jack and it seems to work fine. I have also done this with Fender tube amps for years with no problems. Check your headphone specs to make sure the heaphone impedance is higher than the amp - it usually is. Your ears will not let you turn up the amp loud enough to hurt the headphones. This seems to work because the magnets in the headphones are very small and inefficient, compared to the hugh magnets that drive guitar speakers. If anyone knows any reason why we shouldn't do this, I'd like to hear it.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2005 9:29 am    

Some headphones are only rated for milliwatts. With even a 30 watt amplifier it wouldn't be hard to zap the headphones.
Bob Watson

Champaign, Illinois, U.S.
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2005 10:22 pm    

I was doing a lot of road work in the late 80's and I needed to be able to practice in the club I was playing at that week without bothering the customers. I was working at a club called the Eagles Nest in Alamogordo New Mexico and I had a guy in a stereo shop install a female phone jack on the backplate of my LTD wired to the speaker wires with a resistor so that it wouldn't blow the headphones. It also bypassed the speaker when I used the headphones. It worked great and I never had any problems with it. There are a lot of alternatives these days. I would check into a Behringer V amp. You can get one for less that $150 and they have a headphone input and lots of various amp models and effects. They are also good to have around if you have a problem with your amp on a gig.

[This message was edited by Bob Watson on 12 July 2005 at 11:27 PM.]

Edward Burgin

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2005 12:44 pm    

Thanks all you guys for the responses. Please close. Buster