| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Webb Service in Illinois
Brian Edwards

Santa Fe, NM USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2005 11:10 am    

I have an older Webb 6-14E which is in decent condition, but I am considering (given previous posts on servicing these amps) having the electronics serviced (i.e., older parts replaced, etc.), but I am hesitant to go through the hassle of shipping this wonderful and heavy beast. Does anyone know of someone in the Chicago area that could service this amp?

[This message was edited by Brian Edwards on 23 May 2005 at 12:10 PM.]

[This message was edited by Brian Edwards on 23 May 2005 at 12:11 PM.]

Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2005 11:22 am    

Hey Brian. Downers Grove huh? My mom grew up there, lived on Turvey lane and went to Avery Coonley school.

Regarding the Webb service. Here's my take. The Webb is a very serviceable amp and any decent amp tech should have no problem getting inside it and replacing old electrolytic and/or ceramic tone caps. I guess that since it's an oddball amp to most techs, they are afraid of working on them, but really the amp is very straightforward. I've got a webpage with a schematic on it.

http://home.earthlink.net/%7Ebradsarno/webbschems.html

If you send your tech to that page, he can easily find out what's going on inside. My webpage schematic is marked up to indicate some ceramic caps that could be replaced by good film type capacitors for tonal improvement without altering the circuit design. All of the electrolytics should be replaced in that amp as well. There is a parts list too. Some specific part numbers may be out of date by now. I'd recommend finding your best local amp tech who has lots of years experience at servicing guitar amps and it should be cake for him.

Also be sure to replace the graphic EQ toggle switch with a fresh one. They get dirty quite often. After the Webb is recapped, give it about a month or regular use for the new components to settle in and warm up. A fresh re-cap in any amp will sound relatively hard and bright. Caps definitely break in over time.

That Webb is a great amp and deserves to have its life extended. I wish I had time to service Webbs, but I'm just too slammed. I encourage all Webb owners to establish a relationship with their local tech so that they can have a good place for the amp to be serviced. Although a healthy Webb will often go for 20+ years with zero problems.

Brad
Brian Edwards

Santa Fe, NM USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2005 11:28 am    

Brad:

Thanks for the note. I don't really know too many amp techs in the area, but I do know some local musicians, so perhaps I'll ask them.

I am on Benton Avenue, just down the street from what is called Barth Pond, but also known as Patriot's Park (on 55th, between Fairview and Cass Avenues). My kids attended Whittier School and my son attended Downers North for one year.
John Poston

Albuquerque, NM, USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2005 12:34 pm    

Call Deltronics and ask for Radar.
He works on tube and solid state, plays steel and if I remember correctly, he uses a Webb himself.

773-549-6635 http://www.deltronicschicago.com/
Brian Davis

San Francisco, USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2005 8:43 pm    

Ditto that. Radar is a great picker and amp tech, plays a MSA through a Webb.

And I grew up in Lisle near Maple and Rt. 53!

BD

[This message was edited by Brian Davis on 23 May 2005 at 09:53 PM.]