| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Is this Kalamazoo all original?
Ron Victoria

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2004 8:25 am    

I'm not sure if my Kalamazoo was altered or all original. It is EKE 5321 on the back of the tuner end. I can't upload a pic but can certainly email it to anyone, so I will describe it. There is a black plastic bridgeplate with a rectangular PU and black vol control on it. No tone knob. It touches the fretboard and tailstock and held in with 6 screws. The jack has the same black plastic around it which leads me to think everything is original. I was told 1939. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks, Ron
Denny Turner

Oahu, Hawaii USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2004 1:04 pm    

Ron,

If you email me some pictures I will take a look and report what I see. However, it would be impossible to even make a good SWAG at your Steel being "all" original or not, unless every part can be viewed including the number markings on the volume pot. If such a full inspection is important to your needs, then you could destring the Steel, pull the screws of the electronics cover(s), fold the covers back with wires intact and take close-up pictures of the Steel's various parts. You can sometimes do this without destringing but by loosening the strings enough to pull / prop them back for a good view of the electronics.

Aloha,
Denny T~
Richard Shatz

St. Louis
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2004 1:22 pm    

Ron,
It is not original. It was made ca)39-40. However, the original Model KEH had a pentangular metal control plate and a blade pickup similar to the Gibson EH 100.
I don't recognize the pickup on your instrument. The pole pieces don't seem to be spaced the same as the strings. Also, the control knob is definitely 50s or later. This the original appearance.

Edited by Brad Bechtel to reduce size.

[This message was edited by Brad Bechtel on 20 September 2004 at 08:42 AM.]

Ron Victoria

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2004 2:05 pm    

You are right about the plastic bridge and the PU being changed. What are my chances of finding that or even just the correct PU?
Denny Turner

Oahu, Hawaii USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2004 4:25 pm    

The pickup on your Kalamazoo is a Guyatone pickup. I have seen that pickup on some of their spanish electrics and on their Argyle series lap steels which were also jobbed to other brands.

If the bladed Gibson pickup was original, then a soap bar replacement might be a drop-in affair; But check string spacing and mounts to make sure.

Jason Lollar, Lindy Fralin and Jerry Wallace all make pickups that have gotten rave reviews; And just might have a drop-in replacement per the tone / specs / etc. you might desire or decide upon via confernece with them; Or just might have or be able to remake an original replacement.

Aloha,
Denny T~

[This message was edited by Denny Turner on 19 September 2004 at 05:26 PM.]