| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Japanese Fender 6 string, with legs
Stacy Phillips

New Haven, Connecticutt, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2004 11:09 am    

Does anyone have any knowledge of the Japanese Fender 6 string, with legs? Is it stageworthy?
I have a Sierra 6 string which is quite heavy. How do Sierra and Japanese Fender compare in sound?
Are there any other choices for single neck 6 with legs?
Thanks,
Stacy Phillips
Ian McLatchie

Sechelt, British Columbia
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2004 11:38 am    

Sorry I have nothing to offer about the new Japanese Fenders, Stacy (as the owner of vintage Fenders, I'm interested too), but welcome to the Forum. Like many other people here, I've got lots of great tips from your instruction materials over the years, and enormous pleasure from listening to your records.
Bob Stone

Gainesville, FL, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2004 1:25 pm    

Hi Duke,

My recollection of all the posts on this Forum regarding the Japanese Fender steels is: Why bother with taking an expensive chance when you can get a vintage Fender in excellent condition for less money?

I can't recall anyone who owns one of the Japanese Fender steels ever posting here.

You should be able to find a nice DeLuxe 6 for $500-700 pretty easily either through this Forum or on eBay.

And yes, thanks for all the good music and teaching materials over the years. I especially appreciate your eclectic musical tastes.

I think you can get a George Board with legs. Search this forum and you will find some pretty positive comments on them. Then there's the Harmos steel--talk about light weight. I believe Harmos offers legs or a stand--see their Web site

[This message was edited by Bob Stone on 13 September 2004 at 02:30 PM.]

HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2004 8:25 am    

I can't speak about a Japanese Fender, but from my own limited experience, the vintage Fenders seem to be brighter, more trebly than the Sierra which to me has a deeper, more mellow tone.

I have seen Darick Campbell in concert twice, once with his Stringmaster (Deluxe) S8, and once with his Sierra S8. Same comparison. I did prefer the Fender tone for his music, Sacred Steel.

The Harmos is certainly a stage worthy steel and a stand is available. This has to be the lightest set up available. The Harmos steel and stand most probably weigh less than a steel by itself.

If you are happy with your Sierra (I love mine), why not add legs?
Alan Kirk

Scotia, CA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2004 8:34 am    

A while back I asked about adding legs to my Sierra 8 Lap, and basically was told that it would be impossible to retrofit it with Sierra-style legs because they are connected to the middle aluminum layer of the steel's body sandwich. I was told to sell the one I had and buy one with legs.

------------------
HowardR

Post  Posted 14 Sep 2004 10:11 am    

Alan, I was told by Tom Baker that it could be done (I have an SCool but it would involve a lot of work because they would have to tap the aluminum layer due to the depth of the Sierra sockets. This was about 7 months before they closed (unknown to me) and my feeling was that he wasn't interested in doing this. I saw an S12 at the Dallas show (a couple of years back) that they had added a fourth leg to. Sierra din't make it to the ISGC that year.

I have installed, with good success on other lap steels, legs available from Steel Guitar Nashville. I did take some measurements and I believe that they could be installed without having to deal with the aluminum layer. I would have to look at these again as it has been a back burner type of thing with me. I would use 4 legs for better stability because 3 is a bit shakey on my S12 that I bought at that show.

[This message was edited by HowardR on 14 September 2004 at 07:35 PM.]

Stacy Phillips

New Haven, Connecticutt, USA
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2004 10:55 am    

Thanks to all for the information. My Sierra 6 does have legs, but it is quite heavy and I'm not enamored of its tone. The latter may have something to with the amp I use, an AER, designed for acoustic instruments.
I am currently checking out Harmos steels but, like the Japanese Fenders, it's hard to find someone who has owned one.
Stacy Phillips
HowardR

Post  Posted 14 Sep 2004 1:29 pm    

I have a Harmos (8 string) with the stand.

If you find yourself in NY sometime, you can take it for a spin.

I have the "dance bar" also, but that's something that you don't want to see...
Michael Misetich

Irving, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2004 2:40 pm    

Allan and Howard,

A few years ago I ordered an eight string Sierra at the Dallas Steel Guitar Show. I asked Don Christensen if he could put four legs on it. He said he could. To my surprise, when the guitar arrived it had serial #001.

The legs are standard pedal steel and the sockets appear to be the type sold by Bobbe Seymour. They are recessed into the wood like the Fender Dual Professional/Custom series. Apparently, the sockets were shallow enough to avoid the aluminum slab.

Tom Baker mentioned to me that they had some problems deciding where to position the legs for maximum stability. When viewed from the front the legs look out of place.

However, just before Sierra folded, I compared the stability my guitar (with the legs fully extended) to the 3 leg guitars Siera had begun to market. There was no comparison; mine was rock solid. Tom Baker did a great job!

Mike