| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Which guitar to keep?
Ron Victoria

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2004 2:27 pm    

Recently, I decided to get a six string lap to learn C6. I hadn't heard from the person I negotiated with, so I bid and won an Ebay auction. Now I have two. I was told both are from 1939. The first is a Gibson Kalamazoo, vg. condition although the case is poor but functional. It has a nice style to it. This one was made w/o a tone knob and the PU is weak. This doesn't matter as I just set the amp higher. The second is a Royal, good cond. w/tone knob. It has a humbucker style PU and the case is in good cond. It has a better but different sound. I am leaning towards the Gibson as the Royal is very light. I'm not even sure as to their values but would think the Kalamazoo is worth more. What are your thoughts? Don't tell me to keep both, my wife is already trying to move my music downstairs! Thanks, Ron
George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2004 3:53 pm    

I'd go for the GIBSON.
Ian McLatchie

Sechelt, British Columbia
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2004 12:48 pm    

Ron: Royal isn't a steel brand I'm familiar with, offhand. Could you describe the instrument in a little more detail, or post a photo? As for the Kalamazoo, does it have the blade pickup or the wide, ridged metal one? I had a Cromwell (basically a Kalamazoo with a different brand name) with the blade pickup and was sorry to let it go. It was both an attractive and a pretty good sounding guitar.