| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steelin' in the Car - headphones?
Jeff Strouse

Jacksonville, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2004 8:17 pm    

I'm going on a road trip and didn't want the hassle of an amp (also I don't have the room)...Is there something out there as simple as headphones to plug into the guitar so I ccould hear myself?

My music store had some device that ran on a 9 volt battery...it was a small amp unit, with headphones included. I forgot what it was called, but it was about $80. The unit had various guitar effects (no reverb, though).

Is there a cheaper option out there...around a $25 solution perhaps?

Thanks for any replies!
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2004 8:57 pm    

From www.ScottysMusic.com

Practice Headphones
Signal Flex Instrument Practice Headphone Amp Plugs Directly Into Your Steel For Practice Or Private Listening.
Complete With Attached 30 Inch Instrument Cable. Volume Control, Headphones Included.

Item #HEAD01 $25.00

This won't have reverb but if you have a DD-3 or RV-3 type stomp box and an extra 9volt battery, you'll be in fine shape.
Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2004 9:17 pm    

This thing has been a life saver for me on the road:

headphone practice thing

It looks like I'm going iPod for my next couple runs so I'm looking for some practice thingy to use with it.

------------------

Bob
intonation help

Tom Jordan

Wichita, KS
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2004 11:04 am    

I use a Boss DR-5 since I spend alot of time on the road and in hotels. Not only does it have guitar in/amp simulation and headphone jack, you can also program plenty of backing tracks. My biggest problem with headphones only is the issue of practicing out of tune and out of time based on my flawed mental tuner and metronome.

Tom Jordan
Dan Tyack

Olympia, WA USA
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2004 11:30 am    

Hey Bob, if you haven't bought the iPod yet you might look at some of the iPod-like devices with a real audio input. I have an iRiver and it does great live recordings, better than a minidisc recording. The real iPod only has a crappy 'vocal quality' audio interface.

------------------
www.tyack.com
Dan Tyack

Olympia, WA USA
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2004 11:31 am    

I've stopped playing the lap steel while driving, I get too many wierd stares.

------------------
www.tyack.com
Kevin Mincke

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2004 8:47 pm    

www.rolandus.com/products/details.asp?catid=7&subcatid=32&prodid=Micro+Cube

[This message was edited by Kevin Mincke on 27 December 2004 at 08:48 PM.]

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2004 10:12 pm    

I find this setup real useful in many ways:

an Ibanez Rock 'n Play tape player mounted with velcro to a wood 2-space panel in my Just-N-Case Plus rack (these are great racks, btw). I don't think the Rock 'n Plays are made anymore, but worth searching here on the Forum or on Ebay, because:

you can play a cassette, plug in your guitar, plug in headphones, and practice with tapes. You can also slow down a tape to half speed, and adjust the tape speed to match your steel's tuning. There's more: it has built in distortion and chorus, both optional via little switches!

you can plug your steel into a tuner (my BOSS TU-15 is also velcroed to the same wood panel), then to the Rock 'n Play, and then you can tune up onstage, hear what you're doing through headphones, and practice with tapes before the show or between sets. Great for you shy players who hate mingling with customers and pretty girls!

even better, I now do that practicing with songs loaded on my iPod, and with a wired cassette adapter like you'd use for the car going through the Rock 'n Play, I have my entire iPod library available. I generally make a playlist of a band's sets, in order, then listen to the set in the car with the iPod, and practice with the Rock 'n Play. Much easier and faster getting to songs, repeating solos and intro's you're working on, with the iPod.

[This message was edited by John McClung on 27 December 2004 at 10:13 PM.]

Jeff Strouse

Jacksonville, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2004 7:10 am    

Just ran across this....
http://jamplug.com/

This is more along the lines of what I was visualizing. Has anyone tried it? It is probably similar to the Signal Flex unit described on Scotty's website.

Bob, that Tascam unit looks like fun...you can play along to CDs!

I have a Micro-cube and love it...it even has reverb. If I could only find a tube amp that was that small, versitile, and rugged!
Lefty

Grayson, Ga.
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2005 6:43 pm    

My favorite practice setup is through the Johnson J-Station and headphones. These can be had fairly cheap, add some headphones. Has amp simulators, effects, also a tuner.
Can also be run into an amp for an effects processor. I got one of mine for 100.00 new for closeout at musicians friend. Paid 220.00 for the original I bought. Love the blackface setting.
Lefty