| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fostex MR-8 vs. Boss BR864?
David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2004 2:08 am    

Are the added features of the Boss worth the extra $100? I'm not looking to do whole band tracks, just my own little harmonized oddities, and I'd rather spend more time playing and less time learning to be a recording engineer so simplicity counts.
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2004 3:18 am    

Hey David..well I would probably opt for the BR864 because it does have the on board rhythm guide. I think both are a fine value but you probably should consider the big picture..which always includes some sort of a drum track..even a crummy one. Even for just scratch tracks or practicing at meter the drum thingy makes it worth while.

I have experience on an older Boss BR-8 which I used for 2 years and loved..still have it but it is retired for the bigger piece of plastic with more stuff crammed inside.

good luck

t

[This message was edited by Tony Prior on 23 December 2004 at 03:18 AM.]

SteveTodd

Manchester, CT, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2005 1:24 pm    

I have had a Fostex MR-8 for a year now and I really like it. It is very simple to use and all of the frequently used functions are controlled by push buttons and knobs. You don't have to do a lot with the LCD screen and a lot of computer menu selections. It interfaces with a PC for burning CD's. I use it a lot with Band in a Box. I'd get a bigger memory card than the 128MB that it comes with. I went with a 512MB card. Much better. Good luck with whatever you decide upon.

Steve
Webb Kline

Orangeville, PA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2005 7:44 pm    

I'm not sure but when my son was looking at them, I think the 864 did not have a USB connection. That is a major minus. Maybe they've made the change by now, but I'd make sure.

A friend gave me a copy of Cool Edit Pro and I love it. The biggest effects bank I've ever seen, you can draw envelope filters around your waves to cut noise out... You'll never run out of tracks. All you need is a way into the computer. I got one of those Tascam USB connectors. It is deep, but you can make great recordings without doing much more than puahing the record button.

Whatever you get, it should have a USB connection.
David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2005 6:41 am    

Tascam just came out with a new one, the DP-01. It looks like exactly what I want - 40g hard drive, USB & S/PDIF ports, designed for players rather than engineers. It avoids the problem of developing a new addiction to flashcards. No extra processing doodahs (I have PLENTY of stompboxes), I just ordered one from Sweetwater for $400.
Webb Kline

Orangeville, PA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2005 9:46 pm    

I guess the Tascam stuff has gotten pretty user friendly. A friend of mine just got a 24 track, has never used anything digital in his life and he went right to work layin' tracks.

------------------
MCI D10 8+5, ZB 11/10 8+3 Early 30s Dobro, Harmony Lap Steel, and a whole passel of other toys