| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Question for West Coast steelers
Eddie Malray

South Fulton, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2004 7:01 pm    

Hello out there: Have any of you tried a Carvin amp for steel. I was looking at their catalog and the little "Nomad 112" looks mighty nice. Two of these little tube babies might sound real good together. I know Carvin builds some real quality procucts but I have never seen any of their equipment in any music stores in this part of the country. Do they just sell direct. I called them yesterday about one of their products and they sure seem to know their business. Just Wondering-------------Eddie
Aaron Schiff

Cedaredge, CO, USA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2004 7:14 am    

As far as I know Carvin is direct only unless you live in So. California. I use an Ashdown Peacemaker 40 (40 watt tube 1x12 combo) with a Fender Dual Pro and Gibson Console. I plug into a 2x12 cab for 3x12 overall and it works well for up to 200 people. I use the clean channel and keep the gain at about 9 or 10 o'clock. Last night I was at a Christmas party with a swing/rockabilly/Elvis type band composed of 2 guitars, lap steel, bass and drums. The lap steel and both guitars were plugged into Hot Rod Deluxes. Good band and lots of fun. The steel player said he also uses the Hot Rod Deluxe with his EMCI D-10 for up to 150 seat events and then goes to his Nashville 400.
Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2004 8:54 am    

Eddie save your time and money and go with a proven brand like PV or Evans or Fender or Webb.. The sound is there and the reliability is there, speaking from personal experience.

Larry Behm
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2004 9:56 am    

I would say the same thing Larry. Experimenting with non steel amps can lead to disapointment.
Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2004 10:31 am    

I live in L.A. and have been in their showroom many times. Their amps and PA gear is real decent and a great deal for the money. I would'nt hesitate to use a Carvin PA system. Their amps are pretty good for rock guitar and I could live with one altho I still prefer a Fender. Their guitars and basses are second to none however. Nothing they make amp-wise would be remotely acceptable for pedal steel except maybe one of their combo bass amps. They used to make steel guitars once upon a time and I just missed a 1960s D-10 console non-pedal on E-Bay a while back. Those things sound just like a Bigsby. -MJ-
Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2004 10:39 am    

I tried a Carvin combo bass amp with my steel on a gig. It sounded bad, and it was very underpowered compared to their claims. They claimed 300 watts but it sounded like about 30 or 40 watts.
Mark Metdker

North Central Texas, USA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2004 11:05 am    

You may want to do a word search on this subject. I remember back this past summer there was Carvin amp talk going on here. Several folks were using a single 12 Carvin amp with good results.

------------------
Zum U-12 w/True Tone pickup
G&L guitars
Peavey Nashville 112

Band Pics
http://community.webshots.com/album/176544894AuXSmi

[This message was edited by Mark Metdker on 17 December 2004 at 11:06 AM.]

Eddie Malray

South Fulton, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2004 7:29 pm    

I,ve got a house full of Peaveys and Fenders. Not really intrested in anything else. I was just couious.------Eddie
Harley Morris

Riverside, California, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2004 8:32 pm    

Eddie:
I live in So. Calif. and have been using Carvin stuff for many years. I play fiddle thu a Carvin X-60 with a JBL (12")in it. I have NEVER found an amp for fiddle that even comes close to the sound of this amp. I have had this particular amp for 19 years. I also have a Carvin X-100 which I play steel thu. I have had that one for nearly 25 years now. It is set up (tube-wise) much like a Fender twin. It also has a JBL in it (15"). I might add it is as every bit as good for steel as my Fender Twin with a 15" JBL in it. I also have a Carvin PA set which is really great. A Carvin bass, and several Carvin extension speaker cabinets. I have had technicians tell me that Carvin gear is as good or better than anything out there, and it is sold "factory direct". The prices are really reasonable. The main factory is now in San Diego, and they have a few outlet stores around the area. I like their stuff, and have had no trouble or breakdowns with any of the products I have from them. I don't believe however that they make a "Steel Amp" at this time. I did play fiddle thu on one of their combo 2-12s one time and really liked that one too. Get on the internet to see what they have. They have alot of quality products. Regards, Harley
Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2004 1:26 pm    

Has anyone checked out their 2-12", 50W, Bel Air model amp?
It is a tweed amp in their Vintage line: http://www.carvin.com/products/single.php?ItemNumber=212BELAIR&CID=GA

I'm just wondering if it is like the Fender tube amps of today, a circuit board amp with jacks/pots wired directly to the PCB?

I am looking at a Carvin guitar. They have a few models that I like that are neck through body as well as string through body (non-tremelo): http://www.carvin.com/products/guitar.php?ItemNumber=DC400W
Jim Ives

Los Angeles, California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2004 1:29 pm    

I tried a Carvin last summer. It was their small cabinet amp, I forget the model name/#. The sound was okay but not enough power even during rehearsal. The nice thing is Carvin had a 30 day no-questions-asked return policy, which I took advantage of. It may still be in existence.
Happy Trails,
-Jim

------------------
Mullen D-10
Lexicon MPX 100
Fulltone Full-Drive II
Evans FET 500 -or-
Peavey Nashville 1000
Vox wah-wah pedal
My dog Toby sittin' on the floor listening

Jim Ives

Los Angeles, California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2004 1:31 pm    

So I went out and bought a Nashville 1000 that weighs more but sounds soo good.
-Jim