| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Open D tuning question
Ed Altrichter

Schroeder, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2004 11:07 am    

Lately I've been using a tuning of D A D F# A D on my National Tri-cone. I like it a lot, and I'm wondering if steel guitar players use it much, or when they would use it instead of their regular tuning.
George Rout

St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2004 11:54 am    

I use it for playing tunes that I usually play in E Major on my lap steel, such as Steel Guitar Rag, San Antonia Rose......
Geo
Steinar Gregertsen

Arendal, Norway, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2004 11:57 am    

For many players, myself included, this IS the regular tuning. To my knowledge there are four 'common' major tunings used on acoustic lap steels: Open-D (as you wrote), high-bass/'dobro'-G (GBDGBD), low-bass-G (DGDGBD) and open-C (CGCGCE). Then of course there are variations of these, like sus4 and 6th tunings.

For me the different tunings present different 'moods', for some reson I've always experienced the two 'G' tunings to sound more 'open' and 'light' than the other two. Personally I prefer the sound of open-D, and I also like that it has the root presented three times, bottom, middle and top. I don't have much experience with the open-C tuning, but one obvious feature is that the third is on top, leaving lots of room to leave out the third (I just realized that sounded quite silly, but I can't come up with a better description here and now.. ).

If your question was wether it's used on electric lap steel (I think I must be experiencing a 'bad-brain' day..) then yes, especially in blues and rock, there's quite a few players using that tuning, but often tuned a whole step up to E. David Lindley is one player who use it about 95% of the time.

Phew!
Steinar

------------------
www.gregertsen.com

[This message was edited by Steinar Gregertsen on 07 September 2004 at 12:58 PM.]

[This message was edited by Steinar Gregertsen on 07 September 2004 at 12:59 PM.]

Travis Bernhardt

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2004 3:43 pm    

What Steinar said.

Also, if you just strum the strings open, I think that the D shape is a better sounding chord than the low bass G shape (and much better than the high bass G shape, although my favorite is the open C shape).

The only "disadvantages" as compared to low bass G are that you don't have the low fifth string (which can be handy for alternating bass stuff and which allows you to slide up to the root), and that the "main melody strings"--the minor third interval of the three and five of the chord--are tucked away on inside strings, where they're slightly harder to get to, and sound darker (especially since the third string is wound). As you can see, these aren't really disadvantages, just a slightly different approach.

-Travis
Chuck Fisher

Santa Cruz, California, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2004 4:40 pm    

It requires mental transposing for me, as I tend to think of neck positions in E, I use the tuning a lot but if I have to improvise cold give me E, I think a bit quicker in it.

(i need to practice more...)

both E and D tunings have the V7 IV7 chords available as a forward slant.

I like the sound of D against normal guitars, it seems to fit better as the voicings aren't so similar.
Ron Bednar

Rancho Cordova, California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2004 6:16 pm    

Ed - I second all the above. As with Steinar, it is my regular tuning too. My friend and teacher Pete Grant also uses it as his primary tuning. Don't know if Pete's checking in here these days, he's pretty busy now getting ready for his Ireland trip. But he could offer way more info as he is THE open D guy as far as I'm concerned.

I just worked out kind of a jump blues version of "Mercury Blues" in open D...mine stems more from David Lindley, who recorded it in '83 I think, than Alan Jackson...it's a fun tune though.
Bill Blacklock

Powell River, British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2004 9:09 am    

My tricone is always tuned to open D, it has such a sweet sound, I think its the best for lonesome blues and only one 3rd to navigate.If you get bored just drop the F# to an F and the whole mood of the tuning changes. Bill
Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2004 2:26 am    

If you do a search under "Pete Grant" you'll find his eloquent explanation of why he uses open D. I much prefer D tuning on my resophonic to G tuning. You can easily re-tune to D minor, DADGAD, or Dmai7th by tweaking 1 string or raise the 2nd string for a 6th tuning sound.

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2004 2:27 am    

If you do a search under "Pete Grant" you'll find his eloquent explanation of why he uses open D. I much prefer D tuning on my resophonic to G tuning. You can easily re-tune to D minor, DADGAD, or Dmai7th by tweaking 1 string or raise the 2nd string for a 6th tuning sound.

HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2004 4:02 am    

Quote:
You can easily re-tune to D minor, DADGAD, or Dmai7th by tweaking 1 string or raise the 2nd string for a 6th tuning sound.

You can do the exact same tweaking with G tuning.

But yes, the D has a certain timbre.
Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2004 7:38 am    

Sorry, Howard, I posted twice so I must be more right.
Chuck Fisher

Santa Cruz, California, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2004 11:24 am    

"best for lonesome blues"

I tuned up to E after playing blues in D for years, amd to my shock I was immediately approached by beautiful nude women daily! Now my blues are no longer lonesome.

CF